Asus, dell or hp (notebook)

Status
Not open for further replies.

rickywinataa

Honorable
Jul 8, 2012
Hello,
i'm looking for a new notebook and until now my choices had been narrowed to 3 brands: asus, hp and dell.

all of the laptop from my options are i5, 4Gigs of RAM, and mid end graphic card.

between the 3 of them, which brand have the best realiablility, durability and which one has the longest warranty period

Solution
Any laptop is prone to malfuntion. It doesn't matter what brand. However, there is also a good chance that you will end up with a laptop that lasts years with no malfunctions at all.

phyco126

Distinguished
Nov 6, 2011
Can you link us to the laptops? Dell and HP likely only have a one year limited warranty. I don't know what Asus has. I suggest either Asus or Dell (I have had no problems with either in all my years). I won't suggest HP, but only because I've been boycotting them since 2004, quality be damned.

rickywinataa

Honorable
Jul 8, 2012
here is the options from the notebooks i've chosen:

Asus A43SA - VX071D Core i5 2430 2.3Ghz, 14", 4GB DDR3, 750GB, Radeon 6730 2GB DDR3, DVDRW, Camera, Wifi, Bluetooth 3.0, USB3, Card Reader, DOS

Dell Vostro 3450 Core i5 2430 2.4Ghz, 4GB DDR3, 500GB, DVDRW, Ati Radeon 6630 1GB, Bluetooth, Card Reader, Wifi, Camera, 14" WXGA, DOS

HP Pavillion DV4-3129TX Core i5 2430M 2.4Ghz, 4GB, 640GB, DVDRW, Wifi, Camera, Bluetooth, Ati Radeon HD 6750M 1GB, 14.1" WXGA, Win 7 Home Premium

the price of the notebooks increase ascendingly

phyco126

Distinguished
Nov 6, 2011
I'd get the Asus laptop. The HP has a slightly better GPU, but depending on how much more it costs I wouldn't go with it. The Dell has a slightly weaker GPU, and if it costs a little bit more then scratch that. Asus is a trusted brand as far as I am concerned, I've always liked their laptops ever since I got one last year for a friend.

You should be aware that most brands you know don't actually make a laptop....they buy it from an original design manufacturer. It's a possibility that three different models you are looking at were all made by Foxconn.

The vast majority of laptops on the market are manufactured by a small handful of Original Design Manufacturers (ODM).

Major relationships include:

Quanta sells to (among others) HP, Lenovo, Apple, Acer, Toshiba, Dell, Sony, Fujitsu and NEC
Compal sells to (among others) Acer, Dell, Toshiba, Lenovo and HP/Compaq
Wistron (former manufacturing & design division of Acer) sells to Dell, Acer, Lenovo and HP
Inventec sells to Toshiba, HP and Lenovo
Pegatron sells to Asus, Toshiba, Apple, Dell and Acer
Foxconn sells to Asus, Dell, HP and Apple
Flextronics (former Arima Computer Corporation notebook division) sells to HP

I'd get a Clevo laptop custom built to your specifications. Clevo first grew to popularity as the actual supplier of Alienware laptops, pre-Dell

http://forum.notebookreview.com/sager-clevo/91510-clevo-guide-v2-0-faq-reseller-info.html

CLEVO is a large Taiwanese computer company specializing in laptops. While the Clevo brand name is perhaps not widely known, their products are re-branded and sold by known boutique brand OEMs (Original Equipment Manufacturers)… notably Sager, VoodooPC, Falcon Northwest, Eurocom, etc. They are also considered (by whoever knows about notebooks) to design and manufacturer the best of the best notebooks in terms of superior build quality and innovative designs.

Clevo products are assembled and distributed by various resellers around the world. This is a great site to "shop" on , but I'd buy elsewhere (xoticpc.com) as their support has tanked in recent years

http://www.pro-star.com/index.cfm?mainpage=product&filter=4

rickywinataa

Honorable
Jul 8, 2012

i'm more concerned for the durability of the laptops since i'm a bit hard when using them. hp is $900 while asus is $ 750 and dell is around $800.

so what you mean is that if they're all made by foxconn and the products aren't defective, they should've the same quality and durability ?

I would definitely avoid dell in general, but in this case they have a lower.gpu and it ends up the same price as HP once you buy windows.

The Asus is only $50 cheaper than the HP once you buy the OS, and the HP has a better GPU. so a toss up.

My HP has worked flawlessly for 4 years and of those 3 it has the best graphics hardware and is the only one with windows, so if you don't want to mess with installing it that's a plus.

Theres really not a lot of difference between them

phyco126

Distinguished
Nov 6, 2011

Well, I don't think so myself. See, Dell/HP/Etc tell Foxconn what they want for their products and with what components. So its possible for Dell to have better quality over HP, and vice versa. Plus, there is always how durable the shells are of the laptop. For instance, my Dell XPS laptop was made of magnesium alloy, so its pretty dang tough compared to an Acer laptop made of all cheap plastic.

rickywinataa

Honorable
Jul 8, 2012

does asus laptop's malfunction ocassionally ?

rickywinataa

Honorable
Jul 8, 2012

okay, maybe i'll take asus. thanks for your help :D

phyco126

Distinguished
Nov 6, 2011
I just want to say that I've owned or had used the following:

Acer
Dell
Asus
Sony
Sager/Clevo

Out of all those, only the Acer's malfunctioned to any major degree. And they were a PITA and nearly impossible to fix. Sony was the next worst, with a massive bottleneck in the MB that made it run more slowly than a computer 7 years old at the time I bought it. The rest were speedy and proper, no malfunctions, no software glitches or anything like that.

Status
Not open for further replies.