Whats wrong with my laptop display?

drgnom

Distinguished
May 29, 2004
My laptop, p600mhz has started to act wierd. When booting the display is flickering / rolling and showing wierd patterns in pink and purple (nice really but it obscures most of the boot information). When it reaches the login screen (WinXp) it switches back to normal again. After logging in to Windows the screen behaves like normal but sometimes when I open new windows or move windows around the screen starts rolling / flickering again. For example if I move the winamp program a couple of cms to the right of the screen it starts rolling and flickering, if I move it back again the flickering / rolling stops. Some websites cause it to roll, the rolling stops if I minimize them.

To add to the confusion nothing of this is seen on an external monitor. If I have got an external monitor plugged in all is clear on the monitor while it is flickering / rolling on the laptop screen. This has not got anything to do with bad connections in the laptop, the flickering is correlated to moving stuff around on the desktop, rather than bending the screen. I have updated BIOS, formatted the disk, reinstalled windows (upgrade to WinXp pro)and reinstalled the drivers for the graphic card. What on earth can cause this problem?

Looking forward to hearing your thoughts, this problem is really starting to annoy me...

Yours Paul

splenda20

Distinguished
Mar 2, 2003
I'm not too knowledgeable with LCDs, so I won't try to guess what the problem is, but I do know that laptops are pretty finicky and problems are often associated with the manufacturer. If no one here has any suggestions, I'd post a message on the manufacturers website and see if it's common problem with your laptop model, and see if there's a solution there.

drgnom

Distinguished
May 29, 2004
Thanks for answer. Have tried that, they have no clue. Seems like it's not a common problem. Thanks for trying to help!

Paul

GeneticWeapon

Splendid
Jan 13, 2003
Tell us what video chip it has.

<A HREF="http://rmitz.org/AYB3.swf" target="_new">All your base are belong to us.</A>
<A HREF="http://service.futuremark.com/compare?2k3=2216718" target="_new"><b>3DMark03</b></A>