Looks like I made an eBay mistake

Last response: in Video Games
April 14, 2005 7:03:49 PM

Ever do something in hindisght that seems risky but brush it off at the
time?

I just did. Bid on and won 4 listings for boards from a zero feedback seller
(yes, yes, I know..bad Doug. Bad Doug.)
as well as 3 other items

Emailed seller after closing to kindly request combined shipping. Got the
following reply:

(snip)
All items are pre-packaged and put on a shelf before auctioned off. I have
to treat each as an individual item. Unfortunately my shippers would charge
me more to locate open and rebox them. I do over 500 auctions a week so I
have to stick to my rules. Sorry.
(snip)

huh??? I fired off this response:
(snip)
You do over 500 auctions a week yet you have zero ebay feedback? Your
shippers would charge you to locate the items and rebox them? If you have
posession of the items you have listed for auction, and they are sitting on
a shelf boxed, one would presume you are able to fairly easily locate them -
so I'm to understand that somehow UPS/USPS/etc. would somehow be watching
you remove 4 boards from 4 boxes, place them in a larger box, and seal it,
before the carrier takes custody of the package? I'd be okay paying you an
extra 5 or 10 dollars for the few minutes it would take you to rebox 4 game
boards. Which would still be far less pricey than 4 x 10 for shipping
individually.

I'm not trying to be difficult, but this is very confusing to me. I've been
shipping boards for years and I've never had the carrier ask me if I ever
reboxed the item and then charged me extra for it.
(snip)

Now, I realize I'm totally getting what I deserve here for being a bonehead,
and bidding on any zero feedback item is risking quite possibly getting in a
situation with a scammer, whom this person may very well be. At present,
unless I get some really reassuring explanation, I suppose I'll end up
risking getting neg'ed and not going through with this auction, because it
stinks of really fishy-ness all around. If anything, I guess this is a
warning about this particular seller as I know they've had other arcade
stuff listed...

More about : made ebay mistake

April 14, 2005 7:03:50 PM

The part about doing 500 auctions a weeks is BS.
But he clearly states "SHIPPING WILL BE A FLAT FEE OF 10.00"
He never mentions he would combine shipping cost.
Some sellers do not like/ want to do that.

Bottom line: always email and ask a seller first before bidding.
Never assume a seller will do this.

Troy,

dougmanct <dougmansland@aol.com> wrote in message
> Ever do something in hindisght that seems risky but brush it off at the
> time?
>
> I just did. Bid on and won 4 listings for boards from a zero feedback
seller
> (yes, yes, I know..bad Doug. Bad Doug.)

&rd=1&ssPageName=WDVW
> as well as 3 other items
>

> Emailed seller after closing to kindly request combined shipping. Got the
> following reply:
>
> (snip)
> All items are pre-packaged and put on a shelf before auctioned off. I have
> to treat each as an individual item. Unfortunately my shippers would
charge
> me more to locate open and rebox them. I do over 500 auctions a week so I
> have to stick to my rules. Sorry.
> (snip)
>

> huh??? I fired off this response:
> (snip)
> You do over 500 auctions a week yet you have zero ebay feedback? Your
> shippers would charge you to locate the items and rebox them? If you have
> posession of the items you have listed for auction, and they are sitting
on
> a shelf boxed, one would presume you are able to fairly easily locate
them -
> so I'm to understand that somehow UPS/USPS/etc. would somehow be watching
> you remove 4 boards from 4 boxes, place them in a larger box, and seal it,
> before the carrier takes custody of the package? I'd be okay paying you an
> extra 5 or 10 dollars for the few minutes it would take you to rebox 4
game
> boards. Which would still be far less pricey than 4 x 10 for shipping
> individually.
>
> I'm not trying to be difficult, but this is very confusing to me. I've bee
> shipping boards for years and I've never had the carrier ask me if I ever
> reboxed the item and then charged me extra for it.
> (snip)
>
> Now, I realize I'm totally getting what I deserve here for being a
bonehead,
> and bidding on any zero feedback item is risking quite possibly getting in
> situation with a scammer, whom this person may very well be. At present,
> unless I get some really reassuring explanation, I suppose I'll end up
> risking getting neg'ed and not going through with this auction, because it
> stinks of really fishy-ness all around. If anything, I guess this is a
> warning about this particular seller as I know they've had other arcade
> stuff listed...

Anonymous
April 14, 2005 8:31:12 PM

Welp, after exchanging a few emails with this guy, I get the sense he is
most definately legitimate, and this is simply a case where he does in fact
list items, then box and shelve them at that point and does not intend to
re-box for combined shipping - but in fairness I never asked in advance.
Zero feedback is apparently due to not wanting to mix up things with other
stuff he auctions on a seperate account (which he identified and described
to my satisfaction).

So please, don't consider the parent a "scam warning". Just me venting over
a mistake on my part. Heh...

"dougmanct" <dougmansland@aol.com> wrote in message
> Ever do something in hindisght that seems risky but brush it off at the
> time?
>
> I just did. Bid on and won 4 listings for boards from a zero feedback
> seller (yes, yes, I know..bad Doug. Bad Doug.)
> http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=...
> as well as 3 other items
>

> Emailed seller after closing to kindly request combined shipping. Got the
> following reply:
>
> (snip)
> All items are pre-packaged and put on a shelf before auctioned off. I have
> to treat each as an individual item. Unfortunately my shippers would
> charge me more to locate open and rebox them. I do over 500 auctions a
> week so I have to stick to my rules. Sorry.
> (snip)
>

> huh??? I fired off this response:
> (snip)
> You do over 500 auctions a week yet you have zero ebay feedback? Your
> shippers would charge you to locate the items and rebox them? If you have
> posession of the items you have listed for auction, and they are sitting
> on a shelf boxed, one would presume you are able to fairly easily locate
> them - so I'm to understand that somehow UPS/USPS/etc. would somehow be
> watching you remove 4 boards from 4 boxes, place them in a larger box, and
> seal it, before the carrier takes custody of the package? I'd be okay
> paying you an extra 5 or 10 dollars for the few minutes it would take you
> to rebox 4 game boards. Which would still be far less pricey than 4 x 10
> for shipping individually.
>
> I'm not trying to be difficult, but this is very confusing to me. I've
> been shipping boards for years and I've never had the carrier ask me if I
> ever reboxed the item and then charged me extra for it.
> (snip)
>
> Now, I realize I'm totally getting what I deserve here for being a
> bonehead, and bidding on any zero feedback item is risking quite possibly
> getting in a situation with a scammer, whom this person may very well be.
> At present, unless I get some really reassuring explanation, I suppose
> I'll end up risking getting neg'ed and not going through with this
> auction, because it stinks of really fishy-ness all around. If anything, I
> guess this is a warning about this particular seller as I know they've had
> other arcade stuff listed...

April 14, 2005 11:56:54 PM

I was going to point this out, how can you be a member for over FOUR
YEARS and not have a single transaction of any sort? Does ebay let
inactive (NEVER active) accounts exist forever?
Anonymous
April 14, 2005 11:57:21 PM

I was going to point this out, how can you be a member for over FOUR
YEARS and not have a single transaction of any sort? Does ebay let
inactive (NEVER active) accounts exist forever?
Anonymous
April 15, 2005 12:01:21 AM

And as long as we're all looking at these boards, can anyone identify
them from the pictures? (I sure can't..) They don't look like Atari,
maybe they're bootlegs?

Why do you suppose nobody would pay $10 for a superpac? is it really
that worthless?
Anonymous
April 15, 2005 12:03:13 AM

Maybe its his schill bidder account. Check the bid history..
April 15, 2005 12:13:41 AM

maybe he could never win an auction.

Troy,

<micrologix1500@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> I was going to point this out, how can you be a member for over FOUR
> YEARS and not have a single transaction of any sort? Does ebay let
> inactive (NEVER active) accounts exist forever?

Anonymous
April 15, 2005 1:12:06 AM

cant you get the guy to just put all the already boxed boards in a master
carton? it would probably still be noticeably cheaper than sending them
individually

--
Art
> [...]
>> to rebox 4 game boards. Which would still be far less pricey than 4 x 10
>> for shipping individually.
>>
>> I'm not trying to be difficult, but this is very confusing to me. I've
>> been shipping boards for years and I've never had the carrier ask me if I
>> ever reboxed the item and then charged me extra for it.
>> (snip)
>>
>> Now, I realize I'm totally getting what I deserve here for being a
>> bonehead, and bidding on any zero feedback item is risking quite possibly
>> getting in a situation with a scammer, whom this person may very well be.
>> At present, unless I get some really reassuring explanation, I suppose
>> I'll end up risking getting neg'ed and not going through with this
>> auction, because it stinks of really fishy-ness all around. If anything,
>> I guess this is a warning about this particular seller as I know they've

April 15, 2005 1:23:56 AM

This seller has been a member since Feb 9, 2001. It sure seems fishy that
they have zero feedback.

Mark Hooks

"dougmanct" <dougmansland@aol.com> wrote in message
> Ever do something in hindisght that seems risky but brush it off at the
> time?
>
> I just did. Bid on and won 4 listings for boards from a zero feedback
> seller (yes, yes, I know..bad Doug. Bad Doug.)
> http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=...
> as well as 3 other items
>

> Emailed seller after closing to kindly request combined shipping. Got the
> following reply:
>
> (snip)
> All items are pre-packaged and put on a shelf before auctioned off. I have
> to treat each as an individual item. Unfortunately my shippers would
> charge me more to locate open and rebox them. I do over 500 auctions a
> week so I have to stick to my rules. Sorry.
> (snip)
>

> huh??? I fired off this response:
> (snip)
> You do over 500 auctions a week yet you have zero ebay feedback? Your
> shippers would charge you to locate the items and rebox them? If you have
> posession of the items you have listed for auction, and they are sitting
> on a shelf boxed, one would presume you are able to fairly easily locate
> them - so I'm to understand that somehow UPS/USPS/etc. would somehow be
> watching you remove 4 boards from 4 boxes, place them in a larger box, and
> seal it, before the carrier takes custody of the package? I'd be okay
> paying you an extra 5 or 10 dollars for the few minutes it would take you
> to rebox 4 game boards. Which would still be far less pricey than 4 x 10
> for shipping individually.
>
> I'm not trying to be difficult, but this is very confusing to me. I've
> been shipping boards for years and I've never had the carrier ask me if I
> ever reboxed the item and then charged me extra for it.
> (snip)
>
> Now, I realize I'm totally getting what I deserve here for being a
> bonehead, and bidding on any zero feedback item is risking quite possibly
> getting in a situation with a scammer, whom this person may very well be.
> At present, unless I get some really reassuring explanation, I suppose
> I'll end up risking getting neg'ed and not going through with this
> auction, because it stinks of really fishy-ness all around. If anything, I
> guess this is a warning about this particular seller as I know they've had
> other arcade stuff listed...

Anonymous
April 15, 2005 1:24:35 AM

Heck, just tape them all together and it will save money.

Mark

"Art Mallet - Artfromny - formerly A218@aol.com" <artgames@nycap.rr.com>
wrote in message news:G0B7e.2665$XF3.2406@twister.nyroc.rr.com...
> [...]
>>> far less pricey than 4 x 10 for shipping individually.
>>>
>>> I'm not trying to be difficult, but this is very confusing to me. I've
>>> been shipping boards for years and I've never had the carrier ask me if
>>> I ever reboxed the item and then charged me extra for it.
>>> (snip)
>>>
>>> Now, I realize I'm totally getting what I deserve here for being a
>>> bonehead, and bidding on any zero feedback item is risking quite
>>> possibly getting in a situation with a scammer, whom this person may
>>> very well be. At present, unless I get some really reassuring
>>> explanation, I suppose I'll end up risking getting neg'ed and not going
>>> through with this auction, because it stinks of really fishy-ness all
>>> around. If anything, I guess this is a warning about this particular
>>> seller as I know they've had other arcade stuff listed...

April 15, 2005 1:08:42 PM

How do you check the bid history of a member? I know you can check the
bid history of an auction, but I didn't think you could see what people
have actually BID on. That would be some handy info to have when you
suspect fishy business....
!