File and Settings Transfer Wizard

Hello,
We have restored a customers computer with Windows XP home. Prior to the

low level format of the drive and clean installation of the OS we used
the Files and Settings Transfer Wizard. We selected "This is my old
computer that I want to collect the files from. We collected these file
on an Iomega 120gb external USB hard drive. The file size shows 1.6gb
but when we try to use the wizard to install these back to the computer
after the restore of the computer we get a message. The message is: ?
Location specified does not contain store information. type a valid
path. Well, the path should be valid. We also have put this file on the
towers own hard drive and had the same result.
The folder is in "My documents" User and USMT2.UNC, 1.16gb, IMG0001.DAT
Status
Can you help us in getting this restored to the customers computer?
Thank-you. Regards, Rich
--
Richard
Hi-tech Gadgets

On Wed, 27 Apr 2005 20:14:02 -0700, Richard Hi tech Gadgets wrote:

> Hello,
> We have restored a customers computer with Windows XP home. Prior to the
>
> low level format of the drive and clean installation of the OS we used
> the Files and Settings Transfer Wizard. We selected "This is my old
> computer that I want to collect the files from. We collected these file
> on an Iomega 120gb external USB hard drive. The file size shows 1.6gb
> but when we try to use the wizard to install these back to the computer
> after the restore of the computer we get a message. The message is: ?
> Location specified does not contain store information. type a valid
> path. Well, the path should be valid. We also have put this file on the
> towers own hard drive and had the same result.
> The folder is in "My documents" User and USMT2.UNC, 1.16gb, IMG0001.DAT
> Status
> Can you help us in getting this restored to the customers computer?
> Thank-you. Regards, Rich

Are you selecting the folder or the actual files? Whichever one you're
doing, try it the other way. A good article by Gary Woodruff covering the
ins and outs of FAST can be found here (includes troubleshooting
references):
http://www.aumha.org/win5/a/fast.htm

--
Sharon F
MS-MVP ~ Windows Shell/User

Thank-you for your information Sharon. Unfortunatly I was unable to find out
why the backup won't restore? I would rate this post helpful if I could see
where I do that.
--
Richard
Hi-tech Gadgets

On Thu, 28 Apr 2005 18:32:03 -0700, Richard Hi tech Gadgets wrote:

> Thank-you for your information Sharon. Unfortunatly I was unable to find out
> why the backup won't restore? I would rate this post helpful if I could see
> where I do that.

You're welcome. No need to rate the post, just knowing that you found it
somewhat useful is helpful feedback.

When you run FAST on the destination machine, you are prompted for the
prepared FAST data. It isn't real clear from the wording whether you should
select the folder or the file. I've been caught on that one when I've used
FAST and have had to repeat the steps to select the desired object.

There are some situations where it appears as if FAST isn't working. It
reads the registry and compares to saved FAST data for settings. I've found
it will not insert settings for programs that you no longer have installed.
A nice touch but it takes some time for this to happen. Especially if
working with a large transfer.

One technique is to make smaller FAST data sets. Run once to gather up
settings. Again for selected files and folders. May even want to break this
down to keep the size of the data set smaller. Or use a different method to
transfer data.

FAST is not foolproof. It can run into trouble (as you've unfortunately
discovered) but for the most part it is a straightforward tool and usually
works as it should. If Gary does not have the following Knowledge Base
article linked in his article (have not read the most recent updated
version), the following document has some interesting info including the
the path to the fastwiz.log which can be examined to see where the
error/hangup is occuring:

How to Troubleshoot Issues with the User State Migration Tool and the Files
and Settings Transfer Wizard
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;312965

--
Sharon F
MS-MVP ~ Windows Shell/User

Sharon,
Thanks again for the reply, I am looking in to the fastwiz.log
I probably won't have that information until next week.
When running Fast to collect the image it seems that it went ok. Their is
nothing that happened unusual. As for selecting the file or folder to bring
the information back from the collection or image it is saved in the Users
name, folder, USMT2.UNC and then I am unable to see the image thru the fast
selection. I just get the location specified does not contain store
information and that I need to type a valid Path. It should be valid but it
seems something must of went amiss. I will see what the log says though. IF I
go to the folder for this image in My computer the image for the transfer is
there. Thanks again for your help. It just baffles me that this didn't work.
--
Richard
Hi-tech Gadgets

In article <F3A18E88-E8C0-46E0-AA01-984B8040A3F8@microsoft.com>,
gadgets@localnet.com says...
> As for selecting the file or folder to bring
> the information back from the collection or image it is saved in the Users
> name, folder, USMT2.UNC and then I am unable to see the image thru the fast
> selection. I just get the location specified does not contain store
> information and that I need to type a valid Path. It should be valid but it
> seems something must of went amiss.

I think the point Sharon is trying to make is that you need to select the
correct level of folder for it to work. Let's say you saved the settings
to a folder called 'CustomerBackup'. The actual data files will be stored
way down in the following path:

CustomerBackup\USMT2.UNC\IMG00001.DAT

With several other files in that USMT2.UNC folder along with the
IMG00001.DAT file.

Try selecting just the 'CustomerBackup' folder when you go to restore. I
am pretty sure FAST assumes the USMT2.UNC folder and adds it to whatever
path you enter. If you select the CustomerBackup\USMT2.UNC folder then
FAST will actually try to look for a CustomerBackup\USMT2.UNC\USMT2.UNC
folder which, of course, doesn't exist. Don't try to select a specific
data file. FAST uses ALL of the data files in the USMT2.UNC folder. Since
it uses all of the files in the USMT2.UNC folder and automatically
inserts the USMT2.UNC folder into the path you select, all you need to do
is select the same path you originally saved it to.

If you have been saving FAST data from several PC's in the same folder
then they have probably been overwriting each other and have messed each
other up. If you just selected the root of the ZIP disk when you saved
the FAST data then you should just select the root of the disk when you
go to restore it.

On another note: Get yourself a good imaging program and take a complete
image of any hard drive you work on before doing anything drastic like
reformatting. This gives you something to fall back on if things don't go
as planned. Heck, I take an image before even doing a spyware scan on a
really infected PC. I have had FAT's get trashed before while trying to
remove some things.

YEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE HA! Yes, that was it Grant. I was selecting the subfolder
instead of the actual customer folder. So simple to overlook. Actually this
is not the first time I have done this. This is the second time. I don't know
why I had this issue this time and the one other time and I have done many
file and setting transfers for backup and then restoring them. The one I had
an issue with before I couldn't figure it out either. (now I kmow) The many
others we have doen restored with no problems. Somehow I must have saved
those differntly. Now, with the info you provided it does work. Thank-you for
bringing this to my attention. And Sharon if that is the point you were
trying to get accross thank-you very much also.
Regards,
Rich
--
Richard
Hi-tech Gadgets

In article <1A2AEAC5-03FF-41AC-9F58-50733446D448@microsoft.com>,
gadgets@localnet.com says...
> I don't know
> why I had this issue this time and the one other time and I have done many
> file and setting transfers for backup and then restoring them. The one I had
> an issue with before I couldn't figure it out either.

Sometimes we just get a mental block. I know I do all the time.

HI Grant, This is long but here is the fast wiz log that I saved from the
comptuer that I am trying to restore. When I replied to you last I had tried
the fast wiz on our computer and it started restoring as we had mentioned.
But, when I go to the actual customers it will not restore. Here is what some
of what the the log says:
Info Module ACCESSIBILITY will not be processed
Info Registry object
HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall\Adobe
Acrobat 4.0 [UninstallString] did not match arguments

Info Did not detect Acrobat Reader 40
Info Registry object
HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall\Adobe
Acrobat 5.0 [UninstallString] matched arguments

Info Registry object
HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall\Adobe
Acrobat 5.0 [ProductId] matched arguments

Info Detected Acrobat Reader 50
Info Defining nul application environment variable
PhotoshopSuite6Path
Type: Registry
Object: HKLM\Software\Adobe\Photoshop\6.0\ApplicationPath []

Info Application-specific variable %PhotoshopSuite6Path% is not
defined

Info File object %PhotoshopSuite6Path%\Photoshp.exe did not match
arguments

Info File object %PhotoshopSuite6Path%\ImageReady.exe did not match
arguments

Info Did not detect Adobe Photoshop Suite 6
Info Defining nul application environment variable AIMExe
Type: Registry
Object: HKR\Software\America Online\AOL Instant Messenger
(TM)\CurrentVersion\AppPath []

Info Application-specific variable %AIMExe% is not defined
Warning Invalid data specification %AIMExe%\.. for environment variable
%AIMPath%

Warning Line: AIMPath = Directory,%AIMExe%\..
Info Registry object HKLM\SOFTWARE\America Online\AOL Instant
Messenger (SM) did not match arguments

Info Did not detect AIM
Info Defining nul application environment variable BCSoundsPath
Type: Registry
Object: HKLM\SOFTWARE\ShadowFactor Software Inc.\BattleCom
Client\1.3 [SoundsPath]

Info Application-specific variable %BCSoundsPath% is not defined
Info Registry object HKLM\SOFTWARE\ShadowFactor Software
Inc.\BattleCom Client\1.3 did not match arguments

Info Did not detect BattleCom
Info System object NT.Windows 2000 matched arguments
Info Detected CmdExe
Info Registry object HKLM\Software\GlobalSCAPE Inc.\CuteFTP
[CmdLine]
did not match arguments

Info Did not detect CuteFTP 4
Info Defining nul application environment variable EudoraInstPath
Type: Registry
Object: HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\App
Paths\Eudora.exe [Path]

Info Application-specific variable %EudoraInstPath% is not defined
Info Defining nul application environment variable EudoraDataPath
Type: Directory
Object: C:\Documents and Settings\Hi-tech Gadgets
LLC\Application Data\Qualcomm\Eudora

Info Application-specific variable %EudoraDataPath% is not defined
Info File object %EudoraInstPath%\Eudora.exe did not match arguments
Info Did not detect Eudora 5
Info Defining nul application environment variable GVProfile
Type: Registry
Object: HKR\Software\Microsoft\GameVoice\Settings
[ProfilePath]

Info Application-specific variable %GVProfile% is not defined
Warning Invalid data specification %GVProfile%\.. for environment
variable %GVProfilePath%

Warning Line: GVProfilePath = Directory,%GVProfile%\..
Info Defining nul application environment variable GVSharePath
Type: Registry
Object: HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\GVShare [InstallDir]

Info Application-specific variable %GVSharePath% is not defined
Info Defining nul application environment variable GV10InstlInfo
Type: Registry
Object: HKR\Software\Microsoft\GameVoice [InstallInfo]

Info Application-specific variable %GV10InstlInfo% is not defined
Warning Invalid data specification %GV10InstlInfo%\... for environment
variable %GV10Path%

Warning Line: GV10Path = Directory,%GV10InstlInfo%\...
Info Defining nul application environment variable GV11Path
Type: Registry
Object: HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\GameVoice\WebUpdate
[InstallDir]

Info Application-specific variable %GV11Path% is not defined
Info File object %GVSharePath%\GVShare.exe did not match arguments
Info File object %GV10Path%\GameVoice.exe did not match arguments
Info File object %GV11Path%\GameVoice.exe did not match arguments
Info Did not detect GameVoice 1
Info Defining nul application environment variable GetRightInstPath
Type: Registry
Object: HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\App
Paths\getright.exe [Path]

Info Application-specific variable %GetRightInstPath% is not defined
Info File object %GetRightInstPath%\getright.exe did not match
arguments

Info Did not detect GetRight 4
Info Defining nul application environment variable ICQPath
Type: Registry
Object: HKR\Software\Mirabilis\ICQ\DefaultPrefs [ICQPath]

Info Application-specific variable %ICQPath% is not defined
Info Defining nul application environment variable ICQDbPath
Type: Registry
Object: HKR\Software\Mirabilis\ICQ\DefaultPrefs [Database]

Info Application-specific variable %ICQDbPath% is not defined
Info Defining nul application environment variable ICQDbNewPath
Type: Registry
Object: HKR\Software\Mirabilis\ICQ\DefaultPrefs [New Database]

Info Application-specific variable %ICQDbNewPath% is not defined
Info Defining nul application environment variable ICQDb2000aPath
Type: Registry
Object: HKR\Software\Mirabilis\ICQ\DefaultPrefs [2000a
Database]

Info Application-specific variable %ICQDb2000aPath% is not defined
Info Defining nul application environment variable ICQDb2000bPath
Type: Registry
Object: HKR\Software\Mirabilis\ICQ\DefaultPrefs [2000b
Database]

Info Application-specific variable %ICQDb2000bPath% is not defined
Info Defining nul application environment variable ICQUinPath
Type: Registry
Object: HKR\Software\Mirabilis\ICQ\DefaultPrefs [UIN Dir]

Info Application-specific variable %ICQUinPath% is not defined
Info Registry object HKLM\Software\Mirabilis\ICQ did not match
arguments

Info Did not detect ICQ
Info Defining nul application environment variable GoZillaPath
Type: Registry
Object: HKR\SOFTWARE\Go!Zilla\Version [work_dir]

Info Application-specific variable %GoZillaPath% is not defined
Info Registry object HKR\SOFTWARE\Go!Zilla\Version [Module Name] did
not match arguments

Info Did not detect GoZilla
Info Defining nul application environment variable MMJukeBox6Path
Type: Registry
Object: HKLM\Software\MusicMatch\MusicMatch
Jukebox\4.0\MainApp [AppPath]

Info Application-specific variable %MMJukeBox6Path% is not defined
Info File object %MMJukeBox6Path%\mmjb.exe did not match arguments
Info Did not detect MM JukeBox 6
Info Registry object
HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall\MSNMS
did not match arguments

Info Registry object HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\MSN6 matched arguments
Info Detected MSN Explorer 10
Info Defining nul application environment variable ZonePath
Type: Registry
Object: HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Internet Gaming Zone\Setup
[Path]

Info Application-specific variable %ZonePath% is not defined
Info File object %ZonePath%\zone.exe did not match arguments
Info Did not detect MSN Zone 6
Info Defining application environment variable NetmeetingInstPath
Type: Registry
Object: HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Conferencing
[InstallationDirectory]
Data: C:\Program Files\NetMeeting

Info File object C:\Program Files\NetMeeting\conf.exe matched
arguments

Info Detected MS Netmeeting 3
Info Defining application environment variable MP7InstPath
Type: Registry
Object: HKLM\Software\Microsoft\MediaPlayer [Installation
Directory]
Data: C:\Program Files\Windows Media Player

Info Defining application environment variable MP7SkinsDir
Type: Registry
Object: HKLM\Software\Microsoft\MediaPlayer [SkinsDir]
Data: C:\Program Files\Windows Media Player\Skins

Info Defining application environment variable MP7VisualizationsDir
Type: Registry
Object: HKLM\Software\Microsoft\MediaPlayer
[VisualizationsDir]
Data: C:\Program Files\Windows Media Player\Visualizations

Info Registry object HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Active Setup\Installed
Components\{6BF52A52-394A-11d3-B153-00C04F79FAA6} matched
arguments

Info Detected MS MediaPlayer 7
Info Registry object HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Active Setup\Installed
Components\{5945c046-1e7d-11d1-bc44-00c04fd912be} matched
arguments

Info Detected MS Messenger 36
Info Defining nul application environment variable MSMoney2001SysPath
Type: Registry
Object: HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Money\9.0 [MoneySystem]

Info Application-specific variable %MSMoney2001SysPath% is not
defined
Info Registry object HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Money\9.0 [ExePath] did
not match arguments

Info Did not detect MS Money 2001
Info Defining application environment variable MSMMCmdLine
Type: Registry
Object: HKLM\Software\Classes\Windows.Movie.Maker\DefaultIcon
[]
Data: C:\Program Files\Movie Maker\1033\wmm2res.dll,27

Info Defining application environment variable MSMMInstPath
Type: Directory
Object: C:\Program Files\Movie Maker\1033\wmm2res.dll,27\..
Data: C:\Program Files\Movie Maker\1033\

Info File object C:\Program Files\Movie Maker\1033\\MOVIEMK.EXE did
not match arguments

Info Did not detect MS Movie Maker 1
Info Registry object

HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall\{0017040
9-78E1-11D2-B60F-006097C998E7} did not match arguments

Info Registry object

HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall\Access8.
0 matched arguments

Info Registry object
HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall\Excel
matched arguments

Info Registry object

HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall\Microsof
t Outlook 98 matched arguments

Info Registry object

HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall\Outlook
matched arguments

Info Registry object

HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall\Powerpnt
matched arguments

Info Registry object

HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall\Word8.0
matched arguments

Info Registry object

HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall\Office8.
0 did not match arguments

Info Registry object

HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall\{9028040
9-6000-11D3-8CFE-0050048383C9} did not match arguments

Info Did not detect Microsoft Office
Info Defining nul application environment variable AccessXPExe
Type: Registry
Object: HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\App
Paths\MSACCESS.EXE []

Info Application-specific variable %AccessXPExe% is not defined
Info Registry object

HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall\{9015040
9-6000-11D3-8CFE-0050048383C9} did not match arguments

Info File object %AccessXPExe% did not match arguments
Info Did not detect Microsoft Access XP
Info Defining nul application environment variable ExcelXPPath
Type: Registry
Object: HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Office\10.0\Excel\InstallRoot
[Path]

Info Application-specific variable %ExcelXPPath% is not defined
Info Registry object

HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall\{9116040
9-6000-11D3-8CFE-0050048383C9} did not match arguments

Info File object %ExcelXPPath%\EXCEL.EXE did not match arguments
Info Did not detect Microsoft Excel XP
Info Defining nul application environment variable FrontPageXPExe
Type: Registry
Object: HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\App
Paths\frontpg.exe []

Info Application-specific variable %FrontPageXPExe% is not defined
Info Registry object

HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall\{9117040
9-6000-11D3-8CFE-0050048383C9} did not match arguments

Info File object %FrontPageXPExe% did not match arguments
Info Did not detect Microsoft FrontPage XP
Info Defining nul application environment variable OutlookXPPath
Type: Registry
Object:
HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Office\10.0\Outlook\InstallRoot [Path]

Info Application-specific variable %OutlookXPPath% is not defined
Info Registry object

HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall\{911A040
9-6000-11D3-8CFE-0050048383C9} did not match arguments

Info File object %OutlookXPPath%\OUTLOOK.EXE did not match arguments
Info Did not detect Microsoft Outlook XP
Info Defining nul application environment variable PowerPointXPExe
Type: Registry
Object: HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\App
Paths\PowerPnt.exe []

Info Application-specific variable %PowerPointXPExe% is not defined
Info Registry object

HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall\{9018040
9-6000-11D3-8CFE-0050048383C9} did not match arguments

Info File object %PowerPointXPExe% did not match arguments
Info Did not detect Microsoft PowerPoint XP
Info Defining nul application environment variable PublisherXPExe
Type: Registry
Object: HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\App
Paths\mspub.exe []

Info Application-specific variable %PublisherXPExe% is not defined
Info File object %PublisherXPExe% did not match arguments
Info Did not detect Microsoft Publisher XP
Info Defining nul application environment variable WordXPPath
Type: Registry
Object: HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Office\10.0\Word\InstallRoot
[Path]

Info Application-specific variable %WordXPPath% is not defined
Info Registry object

HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall\{911B040
9-6000-11D3-8CFE-0050048383C9} did not match arguments

Info File object %WordXPPath%\WINWORD.EXE did not match arguments
Info Did not detect Microsoft Word XP
Info Defining nul application environment variable Access2000Exe
Type: Registry
Object: HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\App
Paths\MSACCESS.EXE []

Info Application-specific variable %Access2000Exe% is not defined
Info Registry object

HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall\{0010040
9-78E1-11D2-B60F-006097C998E7} did not match arguments

Info File object %Access2000Exe% did not match arguments
Info Did not detect Microsoft Access 2000
Info Defining nul application environment variable Excel2000Path
Type: Registry
Object: HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Office\9.0\Excel\InstallRoot
[Path]

Info Application-specific variable %Excel2000Path% is not defined
Info Registry object

HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall\{0011040
9-78E1-11D2-B60F-006097C998E7} did not match arguments

Info File object %Excel2000Path%\EXCEL.EXE did not match arguments
Info Did not detect Microsoft Excel 2000
Info Defining nul application environment variable FrontPage2000Exe
Type: Registry
Object: HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\App
Paths\frontpg.exe []

Info Application-specific variable %FrontPage2000Exe% is not defined
Info Registry object

HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall\{0012040
9-78E1-11D2-B60F-006097C998E7} did not match arguments

Info File object %FrontPage2000Exe% did not match arguments
Info Did not detect Microsoft FrontPage 2000
Info Defining nul application environment variable Outlook2000Path
Type: Registry
Object:
HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Office\9.0\Outlook\InstallRoot
[Path]

Info Application-specific variable %Outlook2000Path% is not defined
Info Registry object

HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall\{0016040
9-78E1-11D2-B60F-006097C998E7} did not match arguments

Info File object %Outlook2000Path%\OUTLOOK.EXE did not match
arguments
Info Did not detect Microsoft Outlook 2000
Info Defining nul application environment variable PhotoDraw2000Exe
Type: Registry
Object: HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\App
Paths\PhotoDrw.exe []

Info Application-specific variable %PhotoDraw2000Exe% is not defined
Info Registry object

HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall\{3C5EA39
4-1033-11D2-A2CB-00C04F72F31D} did not match arguments

Info File object %PhotoDraw2000Exe% did not match arguments
Info Did not detect Microsoft PhotoDraw 2000
Info Defining nul application environment variable PowerPoint2000Exe
Type: Registry
Object: HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\App
Paths\PowerPnt.exe []

Info Application-specific variable %PowerPoint2000Exe% is not defined
Info Registry object

HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall\{0013040
9-78E1-11D2-B60F-006097C998E7} did not match arguments

Info File object %PowerPoint2000Exe% did not match arguments
Info Did not detect Microsoft PowerPoint 2000
Info Defining nul application environment variable Publisher2000Exe
Type: Registry
Object: HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\App
Paths\mspub.exe []

Info Application-specific variable %Publisher2000Exe% is not defined
Info Registry object

HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall\{0004040
9-78E1-11D2-B60F-006097C998E7} did not match arguments

Info File object %Publisher2000Exe% did not match arguments
Info Did not detect Microsoft Publisher 2000
Info Defining application environment variable Word2000Path
Type: Registry
Object: HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Office\9.0\Word\InstallRoot
[Path]
Data: C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\Office\

Info Registry object

HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall\{0017040
9-78E1-11D2-B60F-006097C998E7} matched arguments

Info Detected Microsoft Word 2000
Info Registry object

HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall\Access8.
0 did not match arguments

Info Did not detect Microsoft Access 97
Info Registry object
HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall\Excel
did not match arguments

Info Did not detect Microsoft Excel 97
Info Registry object

HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall\Microsof
t Outlook 98 did not match arguments

Info Registry object

HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall\Outlook
did not match arguments

Info Did not detect Microsoft Outlook 97 & 98
Info Registry object

HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall\Powerpnt
did not match arguments

Info Did not detect Microsoft PowerPoint 97
Info Registry object

HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall\Word8.0
did not match arguments

Info Did not detect Microsoft Word 97
Info Defining nul application environment variable WorksInstPath
Type: Registry
Object: HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Works\6.0 [INSTALLDIR]

Info Application-specific variable %WorksInstPath% is not defined
Info Registry object HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Works\6.0 [ProductGUID]
did not match arguments

Info Did not detect Microsoft Works 2001
Info Defining nul application environment variable Lotus123InstPath
Type: Registry
Object: HKLM\Software\Lotus\123\99.0 [Path]

Info Application-specific variable %Lotus123InstPath% is not defined
Warning Invalid data specification %Lotus123InstPath%\.. for
environment
variable %LotusDirPath%

Warning Line: LotusDirPath = Directory,%Lotus123InstPath%\..
Info Defining nul application environment variable SmartSuiteInstPath
Type: Registry
Object: HKLM\Software\Lotus\SuiteStart\99.0 [Path]

Info Application-specific variable %SmartSuiteInstPath% is not
defined
Info File object %Lotus123InstPath%\123w.exe did not match arguments
Info Did not detect Lotus
Info Defining nul application environment variable OdigoInstPath
Type: Registry
Object: HKLM\Software\Novawiz\Odigo [WorkFolder]

Info Application-specific variable %OdigoInstPath% is not defined
Info File object %OdigoInstPath%\bin\Odigo.exe did not match
arguments
Info Did not detect Odigo
Info Defining nul application environment variable ProdigyInstPath
Type: Registry
Object: HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\App
Paths\PIStartup.exe [Path]

Info Application-specific variable %ProdigyInstPath% is not defined
Info File object %ProdigyInstPath%\PIStartup.exe did not match
arguments

Info Did not detect Prodigy Internet
Info Defining nul application environment variable QuickenDir
Type: Registry
Object: HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\App
Paths\QW.EXE [Path]

Info Application-specific variable %QuickenDir% is not defined
Info File object %QuickenDir%\QW.EXE did not match arguments
Info Did not detect Quicken 2001
Info Defining application environment variable QuickTimeExe
Type: Registry
Object: HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\App
Paths\QuickTimePlayer.exe []
Data: C:\PROGRA~1\QUICKT~1\QuickTimePlayer.exe

Info File object C:\Program Files\QuickTime\QuickTimePlayer.exe
matched arguments

Info Detected QuickTime Player 5
Info Defining nul application environment variable
RealJukeboxInstPath
Type: Registry
Object: HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\App
Paths\realjbox.exe [Path]

Info Application-specific variable %RealJukeboxInstPath% is not
defined

Info File object %RealJukeboxInstPath%\realjbox.exe did not match
arguments

Info Did not detect RealJukebox 2 Basic
Info Defining nul application environment variable CommonFilePath
Type: Registry
Object:

HKLM\Software\Classes\Software\RealNetworks\Preferences\DT_Common
[]

Info Application-specific variable %CommonFilePath% is not defined
Warning Invalid data specification %CommonFilePath%\.. for environment
variable %VisualizationsPath%

Warning Line: VisualizationsPath = Directory,%CommonFilePath%\..
Info Defining nul application environment variable RealPlayerInstPath
Type: Registry
Object: HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\App
Paths\RealPlay.exe [Path]

In article <0F67E231-5180-45A4-96E6-CE2BD6134937@microsoft.com>,
gadgets@localnet.com says...
> HI Grant, This is long but here is the fast wiz log that I saved from the
> comptuer that I am trying to restore. When I replied to you last I had tried
> the fast wiz on our computer and it started restoring as we had mentioned.
> But, when I go to the actual customers it will not restore. Here is what some
> of what the the log says:

Oh Geez, now you are really over my head. It looks as if almost
everything you collected settings for does not exist on the target PC.
There are a few things I can think of though.

From your first post it looks as if the target machine is Windows XP
Home. Did you make sure and use the FASTwiz.exe from an XP Home CD? The
PC you were able to restore the data to, was it XP Home or Pro? I don't
know if this would make a difference but it's worth a try. Perhaps the XP
Pro version produces a slightly different set of data than the XP Home
version. Maybe some of the real experts here can answer that question.

There may also be a problem between SP1 and SP2. Can't say for sure but
there is a big difference between SP1 and SP2 so maybe the way the data
gets shoved into the registry by FASTwiz is different too.

With the FASTwiz, unlike the USMT, I am pretty sure you have to be logged
on as a user with the exact same name as the user you were logged on as
when you collected the data. If you are logged on under a slightly
different user name or as the Administrator it might make a difference.

Finally, if you are logged on under the right user name, have you made
sure that that user has Administrative rights? I may be blowing smoke
here because I think I remember that all users on XP Home are
administrative users by default but I can't remember for sure. I usually
don't have to mess with it on people's home machines.

Well, that is all I can think of. I am definitely not an expert on the
FAST Wizard. Especially not when it goes all kablooy. I usually just use
it to transfer Outlook Express settings and data because it is such a
pain to transfer it manually. Everything else I transfer manually because
I don't trust utilities that claim to do too much. I may try them but I
always have a backup image just in case.

Well, it is something isn't it? Myself I use a Iomega backup drive and
Nortons ghost to image to a backup drive once a week. As, for this customers
computer they had no backup. And they had corupt files from virus? Spyware?
Hard to say, but it their were issues going on. Both computers have Windows
XP Home, Customers has SP1 and ours SP2, but that was just installed. I
believe that before that installation the wizard would work. Now you have me
guessing on that. May have to install SP2 on the customers and see. User Name
I looked at and admin rights. I believe they are correct. Now one difference
on the machine it works on is that their is no actual setup users. Maybe that
may mean something? On with the show, will try some other things and see what
happens. If I get it to work I will let you know what I found. I even checked
on the View all Files and folders in the Folder options and made sure that
that was selected. Thanks for your reply.
--
Richard
Hi-tech Gadgets