File and Settings Transfer Wizard

Hello,
We have restored a customers computer with Windows XP home. Prior to the

low level format of the drive and clean installation of the OS we used
the Files and Settings Transfer Wizard. We selected "This is my old
computer that I want to collect the files from. We collected these file
on an Iomega 120gb external USB hard drive. The file size shows 1.6gb
but when we try to use the wizard to install these back to the computer
after the restore of the computer we get a message. The message is: ?
Location specified does not contain store information. type a valid
path. Well, the path should be valid. We also have put this file on the
towers own hard drive and had the same result.
The folder is in "My documents" User and USMT2.UNC, 1.16gb, IMG0001.DAT
Status
Can you help us in getting this restored to the customers computer?
Thank-you. Regards, Rich
--
Richard
Hi-tech Gadgets

    On Wed, 27 Apr 2005 20:14:02 -0700, Richard Hi tech Gadgets wrote:

    > Hello,
    > We have restored a customers computer with Windows XP home. Prior to the
    >
    > low level format of the drive and clean installation of the OS we used
    > the Files and Settings Transfer Wizard. We selected "This is my old
    > computer that I want to collect the files from. We collected these file
    > on an Iomega 120gb external USB hard drive. The file size shows 1.6gb
    > but when we try to use the wizard to install these back to the computer
    > after the restore of the computer we get a message. The message is: ?
    > Location specified does not contain store information. type a valid
    > path. Well, the path should be valid. We also have put this file on the
    > towers own hard drive and had the same result.
    > The folder is in "My documents" User and USMT2.UNC, 1.16gb, IMG0001.DAT
    > Status
    > Can you help us in getting this restored to the customers computer?
    > Thank-you. Regards, Rich

    Are you selecting the folder or the actual files? Whichever one you're
    doing, try it the other way. A good article by Gary Woodruff covering the
    ins and outs of FAST can be found here (includes troubleshooting
    references):
    http://www.aumha.org/win5/a/fast.htm

    --
    Sharon F
    MS-MVP ~ Windows Shell/User

    Thank-you for your information Sharon. Unfortunatly I was unable to find out
    why the backup won't restore? I would rate this post helpful if I could see
    where I do that.
    --
    Richard
    Hi-tech Gadgets

    On Thu, 28 Apr 2005 18:32:03 -0700, Richard Hi tech Gadgets wrote:

    > Thank-you for your information Sharon. Unfortunatly I was unable to find out
    > why the backup won't restore? I would rate this post helpful if I could see
    > where I do that.

    You're welcome. No need to rate the post, just knowing that you found it
    somewhat useful is helpful feedback.

    When you run FAST on the destination machine, you are prompted for the
    prepared FAST data. It isn't real clear from the wording whether you should
    select the folder or the file. I've been caught on that one when I've used
    FAST and have had to repeat the steps to select the desired object.

    There are some situations where it appears as if FAST isn't working. It
    reads the registry and compares to saved FAST data for settings. I've found
    it will not insert settings for programs that you no longer have installed.
    A nice touch but it takes some time for this to happen. Especially if
    working with a large transfer.

    One technique is to make smaller FAST data sets. Run once to gather up
    settings. Again for selected files and folders. May even want to break this
    down to keep the size of the data set smaller. Or use a different method to
    transfer data.

    FAST is not foolproof. It can run into trouble (as you've unfortunately
    discovered) but for the most part it is a straightforward tool and usually
    works as it should. If Gary does not have the following Knowledge Base
    article linked in his article (have not read the most recent updated
    version), the following document has some interesting info including the
    the path to the fastwiz.log which can be examined to see where the
    error/hangup is occuring:

    How to Troubleshoot Issues with the User State Migration Tool and the Files
    and Settings Transfer Wizard
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;312965

    --
    Sharon F
    MS-MVP ~ Windows Shell/User

    Sharon,
    Thanks again for the reply, I am looking in to the fastwiz.log
    I probably won't have that information until next week.
    When running Fast to collect the image it seems that it went ok. Their is
    nothing that happened unusual. As for selecting the file or folder to bring
    the information back from the collection or image it is saved in the Users
    name, folder, USMT2.UNC and then I am unable to see the image thru the fast
    selection. I just get the location specified does not contain store
    information and that I need to type a valid Path. It should be valid but it
    seems something must of went amiss. I will see what the log says though. IF I
    go to the folder for this image in My computer the image for the transfer is
    there. Thanks again for your help. It just baffles me that this didn't work.
    --
    Richard
    Hi-tech Gadgets

    In article <F3A18E88-E8C0-46E0-AA01-984B8040A3F8@microsoft.com>,
    gadgets@localnet.com says...
    > As for selecting the file or folder to bring
    > the information back from the collection or image it is saved in the Users
    > name, folder, USMT2.UNC and then I am unable to see the image thru the fast
    > selection. I just get the location specified does not contain store
    > information and that I need to type a valid Path. It should be valid but it
    > seems something must of went amiss.

    I think the point Sharon is trying to make is that you need to select the
    correct level of folder for it to work. Let's say you saved the settings
    to a folder called 'CustomerBackup'. The actual data files will be stored
    way down in the following path:

    CustomerBackup\USMT2.UNC\IMG00001.DAT

    With several other files in that USMT2.UNC folder along with the
    IMG00001.DAT file.

    Try selecting just the 'CustomerBackup' folder when you go to restore. I
    am pretty sure FAST assumes the USMT2.UNC folder and adds it to whatever
    path you enter. If you select the CustomerBackup\USMT2.UNC folder then
    FAST will actually try to look for a CustomerBackup\USMT2.UNC\USMT2.UNC
    folder which, of course, doesn't exist. Don't try to select a specific
    data file. FAST uses ALL of the data files in the USMT2.UNC folder. Since
    it uses all of the files in the USMT2.UNC folder and automatically
    inserts the USMT2.UNC folder into the path you select, all you need to do
    is select the same path you originally saved it to.

    If you have been saving FAST data from several PC's in the same folder
    then they have probably been overwriting each other and have messed each
    other up. If you just selected the root of the ZIP disk when you saved
    the FAST data then you should just select the root of the disk when you
    go to restore it.

    On another note: Get yourself a good imaging program and take a complete
    image of any hard drive you work on before doing anything drastic like
    reformatting. This gives you something to fall back on if things don't go
    as planned. Heck, I take an image before even doing a spyware scan on a
    really infected PC. I have had FAT's get trashed before while trying to
    remove some things.

    YEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE HA! Yes, that was it Grant. I was selecting the subfolder
    instead of the actual customer folder. So simple to overlook. Actually this
    is not the first time I have done this. This is the second time. I don't know
    why I had this issue this time and the one other time and I have done many
    file and setting transfers for backup and then restoring them. The one I had
    an issue with before I couldn't figure it out either. (now I kmow) The many
    others we have doen restored with no problems. Somehow I must have saved
    those differntly. Now, with the info you provided it does work. Thank-you for
    bringing this to my attention. And Sharon if that is the point you were
    trying to get accross thank-you very much also.
    Regards,
    Rich
    --
    Richard
    Hi-tech Gadgets

    In article <1A2AEAC5-03FF-41AC-9F58-50733446D448@microsoft.com>,
    gadgets@localnet.com says...
    > I don't know
    > why I had this issue this time and the one other time and I have done many
    > file and setting transfers for backup and then restoring them. The one I had
    > an issue with before I couldn't figure it out either.

    Sometimes we just get a mental block. I know I do all the time.

    HI Grant, This is long but here is the fast wiz log that I saved from the
    comptuer that I am trying to restore. When I replied to you last I had tried
    the fast wiz on our computer and it started restoring as we had mentioned.
    But, when I go to the actual customers it will not restore. Here is what some
    of what the the log says:
    Info Module ACCESSIBILITY will not be processed
    Info Registry object
    HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall\Adobe
    Acrobat 4.0 [UninstallString] did not match arguments

    Info Did not detect Acrobat Reader 40
    Info Registry object
    HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall\Adobe
    Acrobat 5.0 [UninstallString] matched arguments

    Info Registry object
    HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall\Adobe
    Acrobat 5.0 [ProductId] matched arguments

    Info Detected Acrobat Reader 50
    Info Defining nul application environment variable
    PhotoshopSuite6Path
    Type: Registry
    Object: HKLM\Software\Adobe\Photoshop\6.0\ApplicationPath []

    Info Application-specific variable %PhotoshopSuite6Path% is not
    defined

    Info File object %PhotoshopSuite6Path%\Photoshp.exe did not match
    arguments

    Info File object %PhotoshopSuite6Path%\ImageReady.exe did not match
    arguments

    Info Did not detect Adobe Photoshop Suite 6
    Info Defining nul application environment variable AIMExe
    Type: Registry
    Object: HKR\Software\America Online\AOL Instant Messenger
    (TM)\CurrentVersion\AppPath []

    Info Application-specific variable %AIMExe% is not defined
    Warning Invalid data specification %AIMExe%\.. for environment variable
    %AIMPath%

    Warning Line: AIMPath = Directory,%AIMExe%\..
    Info Registry object HKLM\SOFTWARE\America Online\AOL Instant
    Messenger (SM) did not match arguments

    Info Did not detect AIM
    Info Defining nul application environment variable BCSoundsPath
    Type: Registry
    Object: HKLM\SOFTWARE\ShadowFactor Software Inc.\BattleCom
    Client\1.3 [SoundsPath]

    Info Application-specific variable %BCSoundsPath% is not defined
    Info Registry object HKLM\SOFTWARE\ShadowFactor Software
    Inc.\BattleCom Client\1.3 did not match arguments

    Info Did not detect BattleCom
    Info System object NT.Windows 2000 matched arguments
    Info Detected CmdExe
    Info Registry object HKLM\Software\GlobalSCAPE Inc.\CuteFTP
    [CmdLine]
    did not match arguments

    Info Did not detect CuteFTP 4
    Info Defining nul application environment variable EudoraInstPath
    Type: Registry
    Object: HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\App
    Paths\Eudora.exe [Path]

    Info Application-specific variable %EudoraInstPath% is not defined
    Info Defining nul application environment variable EudoraDataPath
    Type: Directory
    Object: C:\Documents and Settings\Hi-tech Gadgets
    LLC\Application Data\Qualcomm\Eudora

    Info Application-specific variable %EudoraDataPath% is not defined
    Info File object %EudoraInstPath%\Eudora.exe did not match arguments
    Info Did not detect Eudora 5
    Info Defining nul application environment variable GVProfile
    Type: Registry
    Object: HKR\Software\Microsoft\GameVoice\Settings
    [ProfilePath]

    Info Application-specific variable %GVProfile% is not defined
    Warning Invalid data specification %GVProfile%\.. for environment
    variable %GVProfilePath%

    Warning Line: GVProfilePath = Directory,%GVProfile%\..
    Info Defining nul application environment variable GVSharePath
    Type: Registry
    Object: HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\GVShare [InstallDir]

    Info Application-specific variable %GVSharePath% is not defined
    Info Defining nul application environment variable GV10InstlInfo
    Type: Registry
    Object: HKR\Software\Microsoft\GameVoice [InstallInfo]

    Info Application-specific variable %GV10InstlInfo% is not defined
    Warning Invalid data specification %GV10InstlInfo%\... for environment
    variable %GV10Path%

    Warning Line: GV10Path = Directory,%GV10InstlInfo%\...
    Info Defining nul application environment variable GV11Path
    Type: Registry
    Object: HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\GameVoice\WebUpdate
    [InstallDir]

    Info Application-specific variable %GV11Path% is not defined
    Info File object %GVSharePath%\GVShare.exe did not match arguments
    Info File object %GV10Path%\GameVoice.exe did not match arguments
    Info File object %GV11Path%\GameVoice.exe did not match arguments
    Info Did not detect GameVoice 1
    Info Defining nul application environment variable GetRightInstPath
    Type: Registry
    Object: HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\App
    Paths\getright.exe [Path]

    Info Application-specific variable %GetRightInstPath% is not defined
    Info File object %GetRightInstPath%\getright.exe did not match
    arguments

    Info Did not detect GetRight 4
    Info Defining nul application environment variable ICQPath
    Type: Registry
    Object: HKR\Software\Mirabilis\ICQ\DefaultPrefs [ICQPath]

    Info Application-specific variable %ICQPath% is not defined
    Info Defining nul application environment variable ICQDbPath
    Type: Registry
    Object: HKR\Software\Mirabilis\ICQ\DefaultPrefs [Database]

    Info Application-specific variable %ICQDbPath% is not defined
    Info Defining nul application environment variable ICQDbNewPath
    Type: Registry
    Object: HKR\Software\Mirabilis\ICQ\DefaultPrefs [New Database]

    Info Application-specific variable %ICQDbNewPath% is not defined
    Info Defining nul application environment variable ICQDb2000aPath
    Type: Registry
    Object: HKR\Software\Mirabilis\ICQ\DefaultPrefs [2000a
    Database]

    Info Application-specific variable %ICQDb2000aPath% is not defined
    Info Defining nul application environment variable ICQDb2000bPath
    Type: Registry
    Object: HKR\Software\Mirabilis\ICQ\DefaultPrefs [2000b
    Database]

    Info Application-specific variable %ICQDb2000bPath% is not defined
    Info Defining nul application environment variable ICQUinPath
    Type: Registry
    Object: HKR\Software\Mirabilis\ICQ\DefaultPrefs [UIN Dir]

    Info Application-specific variable %ICQUinPath% is not defined
    Info Registry object HKLM\Software\Mirabilis\ICQ did not match
    arguments

    Info Did not detect ICQ
    Info Defining nul application environment variable GoZillaPath
    Type: Registry
    Object: HKR\SOFTWARE\Go!Zilla\Version [work_dir]

    Info Application-specific variable %GoZillaPath% is not defined
    Info Registry object HKR\SOFTWARE\Go!Zilla\Version [Module Name] did
    not match arguments

    Info Did not detect GoZilla
    Info Defining nul application environment variable MMJukeBox6Path
    Type: Registry
    Object: HKLM\Software\MusicMatch\MusicMatch
    Jukebox\4.0\MainApp [AppPath]

    Info Application-specific variable %MMJukeBox6Path% is not defined
    Info File object %MMJukeBox6Path%\mmjb.exe did not match arguments
    Info Did not detect MM JukeBox 6
    Info Registry object
    HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall\MSNMS
    did not match arguments

    Info Registry object HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\MSN6 matched arguments
    Info Detected MSN Explorer 10
    Info Defining nul application environment variable ZonePath
    Type: Registry
    Object: HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Internet Gaming Zone\Setup
    [Path]

    Info Application-specific variable %ZonePath% is not defined
    Info File object %ZonePath%\zone.exe did not match arguments
    Info Did not detect MSN Zone 6
    Info Defining application environment variable NetmeetingInstPath
    Type: Registry
    Object: HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Conferencing
    [InstallationDirectory]
    Data: C:\Program Files\NetMeeting

    Info File object C:\Program Files\NetMeeting\conf.exe matched
    arguments

    Info Detected MS Netmeeting 3
    Info Defining application environment variable MP7InstPath
    Type: Registry
    Object: HKLM\Software\Microsoft\MediaPlayer [Installation
    Directory]
    Data: C:\Program Files\Windows Media Player

    Info Defining application environment variable MP7SkinsDir
    Type: Registry
    Object: HKLM\Software\Microsoft\MediaPlayer [SkinsDir]
    Data: C:\Program Files\Windows Media Player\Skins

    Info Defining application environment variable MP7VisualizationsDir
    Type: Registry
    Object: HKLM\Software\Microsoft\MediaPlayer
    [VisualizationsDir]
    Data: C:\Program Files\Windows Media Player\Visualizations

    Info Registry object HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Active Setup\Installed
    Components\{6BF52A52-394A-11d3-B153-00C04F79FAA6} matched
    arguments

    Info Detected MS MediaPlayer 7
    Info Registry object HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Active Setup\Installed
    Components\{5945c046-1e7d-11d1-bc44-00c04fd912be} matched
    arguments

    Info Detected MS Messenger 36
    Info Defining nul application environment variable MSMoney2001SysPath
    Type: Registry
    Object: HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Money\9.0 [MoneySystem]

    Info Application-specific variable %MSMoney2001SysPath% is not
    defined
    Info Registry object HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Money\9.0 [ExePath] did
    not match arguments

    Info Did not detect MS Money 2001
    Info Defining application environment variable MSMMCmdLine
    Type: Registry
    Object: HKLM\Software\Classes\Windows.Movie.Maker\DefaultIcon
    []
    Data: C:\Program Files\Movie Maker\1033\wmm2res.dll,27

    Info Defining application environment variable MSMMInstPath
    Type: Directory
    Object: C:\Program Files\Movie Maker\1033\wmm2res.dll,27\..
    Data: C:\Program Files\Movie Maker\1033\

    Info File object C:\Program Files\Movie Maker\1033\\MOVIEMK.EXE did
    not match arguments

    Info Did not detect MS Movie Maker 1
    Info Registry object

    HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall\{0017040
    9-78E1-11D2-B60F-006097C998E7} did not match arguments

    Info Registry object

    HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall\Access8.
    0 matched arguments

    Info Registry object
    HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall\Excel
    matched arguments

    Info Registry object

    HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall\Microsof
    t Outlook 98 matched arguments

    Info Registry object

    HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall\Outlook
    matched arguments

    Info Registry object

    HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall\Powerpnt
    matched arguments

    Info Registry object

    HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall\Word8.0
    matched arguments

    Info Registry object

    HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall\Office8.
    0 did not match arguments

    Info Registry object

    HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall\{9028040
    9-6000-11D3-8CFE-0050048383C9} did not match arguments

    Info Did not detect Microsoft Office
    Info Defining nul application environment variable AccessXPExe
    Type: Registry
    Object: HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\App
    Paths\MSACCESS.EXE []

    Info Application-specific variable %AccessXPExe% is not defined
    Info Registry object

    HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall\{9015040
    9-6000-11D3-8CFE-0050048383C9} did not match arguments

    Info File object %AccessXPExe% did not match arguments
    Info Did not detect Microsoft Access XP
    Info Defining nul application environment variable ExcelXPPath
    Type: Registry
    Object: HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Office\10.0\Excel\InstallRoot
    [Path]

    Info Application-specific variable %ExcelXPPath% is not defined
    Info Registry object

    HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall\{9116040
    9-6000-11D3-8CFE-0050048383C9} did not match arguments

    Info File object %ExcelXPPath%\EXCEL.EXE did not match arguments
    Info Did not detect Microsoft Excel XP
    Info Defining nul application environment variable FrontPageXPExe
    Type: Registry
    Object: HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\App
    Paths\frontpg.exe []

    Info Application-specific variable %FrontPageXPExe% is not defined
    Info Registry object

    HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall\{9117040
    9-6000-11D3-8CFE-0050048383C9} did not match arguments

    Info File object %FrontPageXPExe% did not match arguments
    Info Did not detect Microsoft FrontPage XP
    Info Defining nul application environment variable OutlookXPPath
    Type: Registry
    Object:
    HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Office\10.0\Outlook\InstallRoot [Path]

    Info Application-specific variable %OutlookXPPath% is not defined
    Info Registry object

    HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall\{911A040
    9-6000-11D3-8CFE-0050048383C9} did not match arguments

    Info File object %OutlookXPPath%\OUTLOOK.EXE did not match arguments
    Info Did not detect Microsoft Outlook XP
    Info Defining nul application environment variable PowerPointXPExe
    Type: Registry
    Object: HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\App
    Paths\PowerPnt.exe []

    Info Application-specific variable %PowerPointXPExe% is not defined
    Info Registry object

    HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall\{9018040
    9-6000-11D3-8CFE-0050048383C9} did not match arguments

    Info File object %PowerPointXPExe% did not match arguments
    Info Did not detect Microsoft PowerPoint XP
    Info Defining nul application environment variable PublisherXPExe
    Type: Registry
    Object: HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\App
    Paths\mspub.exe []

    Info Application-specific variable %PublisherXPExe% is not defined
    Info File object %PublisherXPExe% did not match arguments
    Info Did not detect Microsoft Publisher XP
    Info Defining nul application environment variable WordXPPath
    Type: Registry
    Object: HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Office\10.0\Word\InstallRoot
    [Path]

    Info Application-specific variable %WordXPPath% is not defined
    Info Registry object

    HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall\{911B040
    9-6000-11D3-8CFE-0050048383C9} did not match arguments

    Info File object %WordXPPath%\WINWORD.EXE did not match arguments
    Info Did not detect Microsoft Word XP
    Info Defining nul application environment variable Access2000Exe
    Type: Registry
    Object: HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\App
    Paths\MSACCESS.EXE []

    Info Application-specific variable %Access2000Exe% is not defined
    Info Registry object

    HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall\{0010040
    9-78E1-11D2-B60F-006097C998E7} did not match arguments

    Info File object %Access2000Exe% did not match arguments
    Info Did not detect Microsoft Access 2000
    Info Defining nul application environment variable Excel2000Path
    Type: Registry
    Object: HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Office\9.0\Excel\InstallRoot
    [Path]

    Info Application-specific variable %Excel2000Path% is not defined
    Info Registry object

    HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall\{0011040
    9-78E1-11D2-B60F-006097C998E7} did not match arguments

    Info File object %Excel2000Path%\EXCEL.EXE did not match arguments
    Info Did not detect Microsoft Excel 2000
    Info Defining nul application environment variable FrontPage2000Exe
    Type: Registry
    Object: HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\App
    Paths\frontpg.exe []

    Info Application-specific variable %FrontPage2000Exe% is not defined
    Info Registry object

    HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall\{0012040
    9-78E1-11D2-B60F-006097C998E7} did not match arguments

    Info File object %FrontPage2000Exe% did not match arguments
    Info Did not detect Microsoft FrontPage 2000
    Info Defining nul application environment variable Outlook2000Path
    Type: Registry
    Object:
    HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Office\9.0\Outlook\InstallRoot
    [Path]

    Info Application-specific variable %Outlook2000Path% is not defined
    Info Registry object

    HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall\{0016040
    9-78E1-11D2-B60F-006097C998E7} did not match arguments

    Info File object %Outlook2000Path%\OUTLOOK.EXE did not match
    arguments
    Info Did not detect Microsoft Outlook 2000
    Info Defining nul application environment variable PhotoDraw2000Exe
    Type: Registry
    Object: HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\App
    Paths\PhotoDrw.exe []

    Info Application-specific variable %PhotoDraw2000Exe% is not defined
    Info Registry object

    HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall\{3C5EA39
    4-1033-11D2-A2CB-00C04F72F31D} did not match arguments

    Info File object %PhotoDraw2000Exe% did not match arguments
    Info Did not detect Microsoft PhotoDraw 2000
    Info Defining nul application environment variable PowerPoint2000Exe
    Type: Registry
    Object: HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\App
    Paths\PowerPnt.exe []

    Info Application-specific variable %PowerPoint2000Exe% is not defined
    Info Registry object

    HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall\{0013040
    9-78E1-11D2-B60F-006097C998E7} did not match arguments

    Info File object %PowerPoint2000Exe% did not match arguments
    Info Did not detect Microsoft PowerPoint 2000
    Info Defining nul application environment variable Publisher2000Exe
    Type: Registry
    Object: HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\App
    Paths\mspub.exe []

    Info Application-specific variable %Publisher2000Exe% is not defined
    Info Registry object

    HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall\{0004040
    9-78E1-11D2-B60F-006097C998E7} did not match arguments

    Info File object %Publisher2000Exe% did not match arguments
    Info Did not detect Microsoft Publisher 2000
    Info Defining application environment variable Word2000Path
    Type: Registry
    Object: HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Office\9.0\Word\InstallRoot
    [Path]
    Data: C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\Office\

    Info Registry object

    HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall\{0017040
    9-78E1-11D2-B60F-006097C998E7} matched arguments

    Info Detected Microsoft Word 2000
    Info Registry object

    HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall\Access8.
    0 did not match arguments

    Info Did not detect Microsoft Access 97
    Info Registry object
    HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall\Excel
    did not match arguments

    Info Did not detect Microsoft Excel 97
    Info Registry object

    HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall\Microsof
    t Outlook 98 did not match arguments

    Info Registry object

    HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall\Outlook
    did not match arguments

    Info Did not detect Microsoft Outlook 97 & 98
    Info Registry object

    HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall\Powerpnt
    did not match arguments

    Info Did not detect Microsoft PowerPoint 97
    Info Registry object

    HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall\Word8.0
    did not match arguments

    Info Did not detect Microsoft Word 97
    Info Defining nul application environment variable WorksInstPath
    Type: Registry
    Object: HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Works\6.0 [INSTALLDIR]

    Info Application-specific variable %WorksInstPath% is not defined
    Info Registry object HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Works\6.0 [ProductGUID]
    did not match arguments

    Info Did not detect Microsoft Works 2001
    Info Defining nul application environment variable Lotus123InstPath
    Type: Registry
    Object: HKLM\Software\Lotus\123\99.0 [Path]

    Info Application-specific variable %Lotus123InstPath% is not defined
    Warning Invalid data specification %Lotus123InstPath%\.. for
    environment
    variable %LotusDirPath%

    Warning Line: LotusDirPath = Directory,%Lotus123InstPath%\..
    Info Defining nul application environment variable SmartSuiteInstPath
    Type: Registry
    Object: HKLM\Software\Lotus\SuiteStart\99.0 [Path]

    Info Application-specific variable %SmartSuiteInstPath% is not
    defined
    Info File object %Lotus123InstPath%\123w.exe did not match arguments
    Info Did not detect Lotus
    Info Defining nul application environment variable OdigoInstPath
    Type: Registry
    Object: HKLM\Software\Novawiz\Odigo [WorkFolder]

    Info Application-specific variable %OdigoInstPath% is not defined
    Info File object %OdigoInstPath%\bin\Odigo.exe did not match
    arguments
    Info Did not detect Odigo
    Info Defining nul application environment variable ProdigyInstPath
    Type: Registry
    Object: HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\App
    Paths\PIStartup.exe [Path]

    Info Application-specific variable %ProdigyInstPath% is not defined
    Info File object %ProdigyInstPath%\PIStartup.exe did not match
    arguments

    Info Did not detect Prodigy Internet
    Info Defining nul application environment variable QuickenDir
    Type: Registry
    Object: HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\App
    Paths\QW.EXE [Path]

    Info Application-specific variable %QuickenDir% is not defined
    Info File object %QuickenDir%\QW.EXE did not match arguments
    Info Did not detect Quicken 2001
    Info Defining application environment variable QuickTimeExe
    Type: Registry
    Object: HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\App
    Paths\QuickTimePlayer.exe []
    Data: C:\PROGRA~1\QUICKT~1\QuickTimePlayer.exe

    Info File object C:\Program Files\QuickTime\QuickTimePlayer.exe
    matched arguments

    Info Detected QuickTime Player 5
    Info Defining nul application environment variable
    RealJukeboxInstPath
    Type: Registry
    Object: HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\App
    Paths\realjbox.exe [Path]

    Info Application-specific variable %RealJukeboxInstPath% is not
    defined

    Info File object %RealJukeboxInstPath%\realjbox.exe did not match
    arguments

    Info Did not detect RealJukebox 2 Basic
    Info Defining nul application environment variable CommonFilePath
    Type: Registry
    Object:

    HKLM\Software\Classes\Software\RealNetworks\Preferences\DT_Common
    []

    Info Application-specific variable %CommonFilePath% is not defined
    Warning Invalid data specification %CommonFilePath%\.. for environment
    variable %VisualizationsPath%

    Warning Line: VisualizationsPath = Directory,%CommonFilePath%\..
    Info Defining nul application environment variable RealPlayerInstPath
    Type: Registry
    Object: HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\App
    Paths\RealPlay.exe [Path]

    In article <0F67E231-5180-45A4-96E6-CE2BD6134937@microsoft.com>,
    gadgets@localnet.com says...
    > HI Grant, This is long but here is the fast wiz log that I saved from the
    > comptuer that I am trying to restore. When I replied to you last I had tried
    > the fast wiz on our computer and it started restoring as we had mentioned.
    > But, when I go to the actual customers it will not restore. Here is what some
    > of what the the log says:

    Oh Geez, now you are really over my head. It looks as if almost
    everything you collected settings for does not exist on the target PC.
    There are a few things I can think of though.

    From your first post it looks as if the target machine is Windows XP
    Home. Did you make sure and use the FASTwiz.exe from an XP Home CD? The
    PC you were able to restore the data to, was it XP Home or Pro? I don't
    know if this would make a difference but it's worth a try. Perhaps the XP
    Pro version produces a slightly different set of data than the XP Home
    version. Maybe some of the real experts here can answer that question.

    There may also be a problem between SP1 and SP2. Can't say for sure but
    there is a big difference between SP1 and SP2 so maybe the way the data
    gets shoved into the registry by FASTwiz is different too.

    With the FASTwiz, unlike the USMT, I am pretty sure you have to be logged
    on as a user with the exact same name as the user you were logged on as
    when you collected the data. If you are logged on under a slightly
    different user name or as the Administrator it might make a difference.

    Finally, if you are logged on under the right user name, have you made
    sure that that user has Administrative rights? I may be blowing smoke
    here because I think I remember that all users on XP Home are
    administrative users by default but I can't remember for sure. I usually
    don't have to mess with it on people's home machines.

    Well, that is all I can think of. I am definitely not an expert on the
    FAST Wizard. Especially not when it goes all kablooy. I usually just use
    it to transfer Outlook Express settings and data because it is such a
    pain to transfer it manually. Everything else I transfer manually because
    I don't trust utilities that claim to do too much. I may try them but I
    always have a backup image just in case.

    Well, it is something isn't it? Myself I use a Iomega backup drive and
    Nortons ghost to image to a backup drive once a week. As, for this customers
    computer they had no backup. And they had corupt files from virus? Spyware?
    Hard to say, but it their were issues going on. Both computers have Windows
    XP Home, Customers has SP1 and ours SP2, but that was just installed. I
    believe that before that installation the wizard would work. Now you have me
    guessing on that. May have to install SP2 on the customers and see. User Name
    I looked at and admin rights. I believe they are correct. Now one difference
    on the machine it works on is that their is no actual setup users. Maybe that
    may mean something? On with the show, will try some other things and see what
    happens. If I get it to work I will let you know what I found. I even checked
    on the View all Files and folders in the Folder options and made sure that
    that was selected. Thanks for your reply.
    --
    Richard
    Hi-tech Gadgets

    "Grant Robertson" wrote:

    > In article <0F67E231-5180-45A4-96E6-CE2BD6134937@microsoft.com>,
    > gadgets@localnet.com says...
    > > HI Grant, This is long but here is the fast wiz log that I saved from the
    > > comptuer that I am trying to restore. When I replied to you last I had tried
    > > the fast wiz on our computer and it started restoring as we had mentioned.
    > > But, when I go to the actual customers it will not restore. Here is what some
    > > of what the the log says:
    > >

    > Oh Geez, now you are really over my head. It looks as if almost
    > everything you collected settings for does not exist on the target PC.
    > There are a few things I can think of though.
    >
    > From your first post it looks as if the target machine is Windows XP
    > Home. Did you make sure and use the FASTwiz.exe from an XP Home CD? The
    > PC you were able to restore the data to, was it XP Home or Pro? I don't
    > know if this would make a difference but it's worth a try. Perhaps the XP
    > Pro version produces a slightly different set of data than the XP Home
    > version. Maybe some of the real experts here can answer that question.
    >
    > There may also be a problem between SP1 and SP2. Can't say for sure but
    > there is a big difference between SP1 and SP2 so maybe the way the data
    > gets shoved into the registry by FASTwiz is different too.
    >
    > With the FASTwiz, unlike the USMT, I am pretty sure you have to be logged
    > on as a user with the exact same name as the user you were logged on as
    > when you collected the data. If you are logged on under a slightly
    > different user name or as the Administrator it might make a difference.
    >
    > Finally, if you are logged on under the right user name, have you made
    > sure that that user has Administrative rights? I may be blowing smoke
    > here because I think I remember that all users on XP Home are
    > administrative users by default but I can't remember for sure. I usually
    > don't have to mess with it on people's home machines.
    >
    > Well, that is all I can think of. I am definitely not an expert on the
    > FAST Wizard. Especially not when it goes all kablooy. I usually just use
    > it to transfer Outlook Express settings and data because it is such a
    > pain to transfer it manually. Everything else I transfer manually because
    > I don't trust utilities that claim to do too much. I may try them but I
    > always have a backup image just in case.

Computers Hard Drives Windows XP