Need Advice/Info on Replacing XPS T500 Power Supply

Clueless

Appreciate advice/info on replacing XPS T500 power supply as it makes
whining noise:

Where can I get the power supply? (Couldn't find the item on Dell
support.)

Is there a Web page or document spelling out step by step procedure?
Looking at the unit, I am clueless just taking it off. Can't
determine which screws are the "magic" ones that will take out the
unit.

Thanks for advice/info.
Clueless

Clueless wrote:
> Appreciate advice/info on replacing XPS T500 power supply as it makes
> whining noise:
>
> Where can I get the power supply? (Couldn't find the item on Dell
> support.)
>
> Is there a Web page or document spelling out step by step procedure?
> Looking at the unit, I am clueless just taking it off. Can't
> determine which screws are the "magic" ones that will take out the
> unit.
>
> Thanks for advice/info.
> Clueless

If you are very careful and respect the voltages to be found in a PSU,
you can access the PSU fan, peel off the metallic disk label in the
center covering the bearing, and CAREFULLY oil it with the minutest
drop of oil on the end of a toothpick or cocktail stick. This often
cures a squeaky fan.....DON'T do it if you are not confident of what
you are doing.

Clueless

On 16 Feb 2005 15:26:48 -0800, peterfelgate@hotmail.com wrote:

>Clueless wrote:
>> Appreciate advice/info on replacing XPS T500 power supply as it makes
>> whining noise:
>>
>> Where can I get the power supply? (Couldn't find the item on Dell
>> support.)
>>
>> Is there a Web page or document spelling out step by step procedure?
>> Looking at the unit, I am clueless just taking it off. Can't
>> determine which screws are the "magic" ones that will take out the
>> unit.
>>
>> Thanks for advice/info.
>> Clueless
>
>If you are very careful and respect the voltages to be found in a PSU,
>you can access the PSU fan, peel off the metallic disk label in the
>center covering the bearing, and CAREFULLY oil it with the minutest
>drop of oil on the end of a toothpick or cocktail stick. This often
>cures a squeaky fan.....DON'T do it if you are not confident of what
>you are doing.

Got the confidence I needed from Ben, am going to try your suggestion.
And I have Radio Shack Lubricator to boot! Thanks for oiling
solution..... Clueless

The power supply attaches with either 3 or 4 screws (I forget which) to the top
rear of the chassis. Don't worry if you remove the wrong screws. The chassis
will not then collapse in a heap of metal and plastic... Ben Myers

On Wed, 16 Feb 2005 15:06:13 -0700, Clueless <Clueless@NoClue.net> wrote:

>Appreciate advice/info on replacing XPS T500 power supply as it makes
>whining noise:
>
>Where can I get the power supply? (Couldn't find the item on Dell
>support.)
>
>Is there a Web page or document spelling out step by step procedure?
>Looking at the unit, I am clueless just taking it off. Can't
>determine which screws are the "magic" ones that will take out the
>unit.
>
>Thanks for advice/info.
>Clueless

Clueless

On Wed, 16 Feb 2005 22:57:52 GMT, ben_myers_spam_me_not @ charter.net
(Ben Myers) wrote:

>The power supply attaches with either 3 or 4 screws (I forget which) to the top
>rear of the chassis. Don't worry if you remove the wrong screws. The chassis
>will not then collapse in a heap of metal and plastic... Ben Myers

That's very reassuaring! Now armed with "confidence", am going to try
the oiling method "peter" mentioned first. Thanks very much for
prompt response, and the offer of the unit in the other post.....
Clueless

>On Wed, 16 Feb 2005 15:06:13 -0700, Clueless <Clueless@NoClue.net> wrote:
>
>>Appreciate advice/info on replacing XPS T500 power supply as it makes
>>whining noise:
>>
>>Where can I get the power supply? (Couldn't find the item on Dell
>>support.)
>>
>>Is there a Web page or document spelling out step by step procedure?
>>Looking at the unit, I am clueless just taking it off. Can't
>>determine which screws are the "magic" ones that will take out the
>>unit.
>>
>>Thanks for advice/info.
>>Clueless

Contact me offline via email at ben_myers@charter.net .

Dell no longer sells these power supplies as spares or replacements. I have
some in computers in my warehouse. Used, but with 90-day warranty. And you DO
need a Dell-branded power supply because the ATX form factor power connector to
the motherboard is wired differently than the standard ATX... Ben Myers