Need Advice/Info on Replacing XPS T500 Power Supply

Appreciate advice/info on replacing XPS T500 power supply as it makes
whining noise:

Where can I get the power supply? (Couldn't find the item on Dell
support.)

Is there a Web page or document spelling out step by step procedure?
Looking at the unit, I am clueless just taking it off. Can't
determine which screws are the "magic" ones that will take out the
unit.

Thanks for advice/info.
Clueless
5 answers Last reply
More about need advice info replacing t500 power supply

    Clueless wrote:
    > Appreciate advice/info on replacing XPS T500 power supply as it makes
    > whining noise:
    >
    > Where can I get the power supply? (Couldn't find the item on Dell
    > support.)
    >
    > Is there a Web page or document spelling out step by step procedure?
    > Looking at the unit, I am clueless just taking it off. Can't
    > determine which screws are the "magic" ones that will take out the
    > unit.
    >
    > Thanks for advice/info.
    > Clueless

    If you are very careful and respect the voltages to be found in a PSU,
    you can access the PSU fan, peel off the metallic disk label in the
    center covering the bearing, and CAREFULLY oil it with the minutest
    drop of oil on the end of a toothpick or cocktail stick. This often
    cures a squeaky fan.....DON'T do it if you are not confident of what
    you are doing.

    On 16 Feb 2005 15:26:48 -0800, peterfelgate@hotmail.com wrote:

    >Clueless wrote:
    >> Appreciate advice/info on replacing XPS T500 power supply as it makes
    >> whining noise:
    >>
    >> Where can I get the power supply? (Couldn't find the item on Dell
    >> support.)
    >>
    >> Is there a Web page or document spelling out step by step procedure?
    >> Looking at the unit, I am clueless just taking it off. Can't
    >> determine which screws are the "magic" ones that will take out the
    >> unit.
    >>
    >> Thanks for advice/info.
    >> Clueless
    >
    >If you are very careful and respect the voltages to be found in a PSU,
    >you can access the PSU fan, peel off the metallic disk label in the
    >center covering the bearing, and CAREFULLY oil it with the minutest
    >drop of oil on the end of a toothpick or cocktail stick. This often
    >cures a squeaky fan.....DON'T do it if you are not confident of what
    >you are doing.

    Got the confidence I needed from Ben, am going to try your suggestion.
    And I have Radio Shack Lubricator to boot! Thanks for oiling
    solution..... Clueless

    The power supply attaches with either 3 or 4 screws (I forget which) to the top
    rear of the chassis. Don't worry if you remove the wrong screws. The chassis
    will not then collapse in a heap of metal and plastic... Ben Myers

    On Wed, 16 Feb 2005 22:57:52 GMT, ben_myers_spam_me_not @ charter.net
    (Ben Myers) wrote:

    >The power supply attaches with either 3 or 4 screws (I forget which) to the top
    >rear of the chassis. Don't worry if you remove the wrong screws. The chassis
    >will not then collapse in a heap of metal and plastic... Ben Myers

    That's very reassuaring! Now armed with "confidence", am going to try
    the oiling method "peter" mentioned first. Thanks very much for
    prompt response, and the offer of the unit in the other post.....
    Clueless

    >On Wed, 16 Feb 2005 15:06:13 -0700, Clueless <Clueless@NoClue.net> wrote:
    >
    >>Appreciate advice/info on replacing XPS T500 power supply as it makes
    >>whining noise:
    >>
    >>Where can I get the power supply? (Couldn't find the item on Dell
    >>support.)
    >>
    >>Is there a Web page or document spelling out step by step procedure?
    >>Looking at the unit, I am clueless just taking it off. Can't
    >>determine which screws are the "magic" ones that will take out the
    >>unit.
    >>
    >>Thanks for advice/info.
    >>Clueless

    Contact me offline via email at ben_myers@charter.net .

    Dell no longer sells these power supplies as spares or replacements. I have
    some in computers in my warehouse. Used, but with 90-day warranty. And you DO
    need a Dell-branded power supply because the ATX form factor power connector to
    the motherboard is wired differently than the standard ATX... Ben Myers

    On Wed, 16 Feb 2005 15:06:13 -0700, Clueless <Clueless@NoClue.net> wrote:

    >Appreciate advice/info on replacing XPS T500 power supply as it makes
    >whining noise:
    >
    >Where can I get the power supply? (Couldn't find the item on Dell
    >support.)
    >
    >Is there a Web page or document spelling out step by step procedure?
    >Looking at the unit, I am clueless just taking it off. Can't
    >determine which screws are the "magic" ones that will take out the
    >unit.
    >
    >Thanks for advice/info.
    >Clueless

Dell XPS Power Supplies Computers