Outlook Express unwanted startup

famine

Distinguished
Jun 9, 2004

ever since installing SP2 every time I boot up outlook express starts up this
is usually unwanted as it extends boot time, but also unless I stop it it
downloads before I can startt my spamfilteter. anyone any ideas of stopping
it starting.

thanks

Famine,

Type MSCONFIG in Start, Run dialog. Click the Startup tab, and then uncheck
msimn.exe entry (if present)

--
Ramesh, Microsoft MVP
Windows XP Shell/User

"Famine" <Famine@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> ever since installing SP2 every time I boot up outlook express starts up
> this
> is usually unwanted as it extends boot time, but also unless I stop it it
> downloads before I can startt my spamfilteter. anyone any ideas of
> stopping
> it starting.
>
> thanks

famine

Distinguished
Jun 9, 2004

msimn.exe is not in the startup, but Microsoft outlook is when this is
unchecked at bootup the system tells me the config has been changed, however
outlook express continues to load anyway.

"Ramesh, MS-MVP" wrote:

> Famine,
>
> Type MSCONFIG in Start, Run dialog. Click the Startup tab, and then uncheck
> msimn.exe entry (if present)
>
> --
> Ramesh, Microsoft MVP
> Windows XP Shell/User
> http://windowsxp.mvps.org
>

> "Famine" <Famine@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > ever since installing SP2 every time I boot up outlook express starts up
> > this
> > is usually unwanted as it extends boot time, but also unless I stop it it
> > downloads before I can startt my spamfilteter. anyone any ideas of
> > stopping
> > it starting.
> >
> > thanks

Try this: http://www.dougknox.com/xp/utils/xp_starttrack.htm
Post the log file here, as that may reveal something.

--

> msimn.exe is not in the startup, but Microsoft outlook is when this is
> unchecked at bootup the system tells me the config has been changed,
> however
> outlook express continues to load anyway.
>

> "Ramesh, MS-MVP" wrote:
>
>> Famine,
>>
>> Type MSCONFIG in Start, Run dialog. Click the Startup tab, and then
>> uncheck
>> msimn.exe entry (if present)
>>
>> --
>> Ramesh, Microsoft MVP
>> Windows XP Shell/User
>> http://windowsxp.mvps.org
>>

>> "Famine" <Famine@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> > ever since installing SP2 every time I boot up outlook express starts
>> > up
>> > this
>> > is usually unwanted as it extends boot time, but also unless I stop it
>> > it
>> > downloads before I can startt my spamfilteter. anyone any ideas of
>> > stopping
>> > it starting.
>> >
>> > thanks

Type REGEDIT in Start=> Run, and find the key:

then find the MSOut value and remove it, restart computer.

Paula Januszkiewicz

Uzytkownik "Ramesh, MS-MVP" <ramesh@online.mvps.org> napisal w wiadomosci
> Try this: http://www.dougknox.com/xp/utils/xp_starttrack.htm
> Post the log file here, as that may reveal something.
>
> --
> Ramesh, Microsoft MVP
> Windows XP Shell/User
> http://windowsxp.mvps.org
>

> "Famine" <Famine@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > msimn.exe is not in the startup, but Microsoft outlook is when this is
> > unchecked at bootup the system tells me the config has been changed,
> > however
> > outlook express continues to load anyway.
> >

> > "Ramesh, MS-MVP" wrote:
> >
> >> Famine,
> >>
> >> Type MSCONFIG in Start, Run dialog. Click the Startup tab, and then
> >> uncheck
> >> msimn.exe entry (if present)
> >>
> >> --
> >> Ramesh, Microsoft MVP
> >> Windows XP Shell/User
> >> http://windowsxp.mvps.org
> >>

> >> "Famine" <Famine@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

famine

Distinguished
Jun 9, 2004

28/04/2005 14:09:40

-- Registry --
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\RunOnce

No Items Found

-- Registry --

Apoint C:\Program Files\Apoint\Apoint.exe
ATIModeChange Ati2mdxx.exe
ATIPTA C:\Program Files\ATI Technologies\ATI Control
Panel\atiptaxx.exe
HKSERV.EXE C:\Program Files\Sony\HotKey Utility\HKserv.exe
SonyPowerCfg C:\Program Files\sony\vaio power
management\SPMgr.exe
VAIO Update 2 "C:\Program Files\sony\vaio update
2\VAIOUpdt.exe" /Stationary
Hcontrol C:\WINDOWS\ATK0100\Hcontrol.exe
ISBMgr.exe C:\Program Files\Sony\ISB Utility\ISBMgr.exe
Mouse Suite 98 Daemon ICO.EXE
ezShieldProtector for Px C:\WINDOWS\System32\ezSP_Px.exe
BluetoothAuthenticationAgent rundll32.exe
irprops.cpl,,BluetoothAuthenticationAgent
Switcher.exe C:\Program Files\Sony\Wireless Switch Setting
Utility\Switcher.exe
Drag'n Drop CD+DVD C:\Program Files\drag'n drop
cd+dvd\BinFiles\DragDrop.exe /StartUp
Logitech Utility Logi_MwX.Exe
TkBellExe "C:\Program Files\Common
Files\Real\Update_OB\realsched.exe" -osboot
WildTangent CDA RUNDLL32.exe "C:\Program
Files\WildTangent\Apps\CDA\cdaEngine0400.dll",cdaEngineMain
QuickTime Task "C:\Program Files\QuickTime\qttask.exe"
-atboottime
iTunesHelper C:\Program Files\iTunes\iTunesHelper.exe
OETool "C:\Program Files\Toolbar\IExploreSkins.exe"
toolbar.dll,SetHook
TBPS C:\PROGRA~1\Toolbar\TBPS.exe
Zone Labs Client C:\Program Files\Zone
Labs\ZoneAlarm\zlclient.exe

-- Registry --
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\RunOnce

No Items Found

-- Registry --

Window Washer C:\Program Files\Webroot\Washer\wwDisp.exe
MsnMsgr "C:\Program Files\MSN Messenger\MsnMsgr.Exe"
/background

-- Registry --
HKEY_USERS\.DEFAULT\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\RunOnce

No Items Found

-- Start Menu - Current User --
BlueSpace NE.lnk
Microsoft Outlook.lnk

-- Start Menu - All Users --
Acrobat Assistant.lnk
Four J's Windows Front End Server ( 3.20.1a ).lnk
Microsoft Find Fast.lnk
Office Startup.lnk
WinZip Quick Pick.lnk

-- Disabled Items --
No Items Found

-- Registry - Shell Value - HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows
NT\CurrentVersion\Winlogon --
Explorer.exe

-- Running Processes --
System Idle Process
System
smss.exe \SystemRoot\System32\smss.exe
csrss.exe
winlogon.exe winlogon.exe
services.exe C:\WINDOWS\system32\services.exe
lsass.exe C:\WINDOWS\system32\lsass.exe
ati2evxx.exe C:\WINDOWS\System32\Ati2evxx.exe
svchost.exe C:\WINDOWS\system32\svchost -k DcomLaunch
svchost.exe
svchost.exe C:\WINDOWS\System32\svchost.exe -k netsvcs
svchost.exe
svchost.exe
ati2evxx.exe Ati2evxx.exe -Client
explorer.exe C:\WINDOWS\Explorer.EXE
spoolsv.exe C:\WINDOWS\system32\spoolsv.exe
BRSS01A.EXE brss01a.exe
Apoint.exe "C:\Program Files\Apoint\Apoint.exe"
atiptaxx.exe "C:\Program Files\ATI Technologies\ATI Control
Panel\atiptaxx.exe"
HKServ.exe "C:\Program Files\Sony\HotKey Utility\HKserv.exe"
SPMgr.exe "C:\Program Files\sony\vaio power management\SPMgr.exe"
Hcontrol.exe "C:\WINDOWS\ATK0100\Hcontrol.exe"
ISBMgr.exe "C:\Program Files\Sony\ISB Utility\ISBMgr.exe"
ico.exe "C:\WINDOWS\system32\ICO.EXE"
ezSP_Px.exe "C:\WINDOWS\System32\ezSP_Px.exe"
rundll32.exe "C:\WINDOWS\system32\rundll32.exe"
irprops.cpl,,BluetoothAuthenticationAgent
Switcher.exe "C:\Program Files\Sony\Wireless Switch Setting
Utility\Switcher.exe"
DragDrop.exe "C:\Program Files\drag'n drop
cd+dvd\BinFiles\DragDrop.exe" /StartUp
Logi_MwX.Exe "C:\WINDOWS\Logi_MwX.Exe"
realsched.exe "C:\Program Files\Common
Files\Real\Update_OB\realsched.exe" -osboot
rundll32.exe "C:\WINDOWS\system32\RUNDLL32.exe" "C:\Program
Files\WildTangent\Apps\CDA\cdaEngine0400.dll",cdaEngineMain
qttask.exe "C:\Program Files\QuickTime\qttask.exe" -atboottime
iTunesHelper.exe "C:\Program Files\iTunes\iTunesHelper.exe"
TBPS.exe "C:\PROGRA~1\Toolbar\TBPS.exe"
zlclient.exe "C:\Program Files\Zone Labs\ZoneAlarm\zlclient.exe"
wwDisp.exe "C:\Program Files\Webroot\Washer\wwDisp.exe"
msnmsgr.exe "C:\Program Files\MSN Messenger\MsnMsgr.Exe" /background
acrotray.exe "C:\Program Files\Adobe\Acrobat
6.0\Distillr\acrotray.exe"
msimn.exe "C:\Program Files\Outlook Express\msimn.exe"
wtk.exe "C:\Program Files\FourJs\cliwtk\bin\wtk.exe" -f
C:\PROGRA~1\FourJs\cliwtk\FGL2C\doserv1.tcl
FINDFAST.EXE "C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\Office\FINDFAST.EXE"
OSA.EXE "C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\Office\OSA.EXE" -b
WZQKPICK.EXE "C:\Program Files\WinZip\WZQKPICK.EXE"
BlueSpaceNE.exe "C:\Program Files\sony\BlueSpace\BlueSpaceNE.exe" /hide
OUTLOOK.EXE "C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\Office\OUTLOOK.EXE"
ApntEx.exe "Apntex.exe"
HKWnd.exe "C:\Program Files\Sony\HotKey Utility\HKWnd.exe"
PIB.exe C:\PROGRA~1\Toolbar\PIB.exe
Avsynmgr.exe "C:\Program Files\Network
Associates\VirusScan\Avsynmgr.exe"
svchost.exe
radio.exe c:\PROGRA~1\Toolbar\radio.exe -Embedding
MAPISP32.EXE MAPISP32.EXE -000065800009BB1
WSG.exe c:\PROGRA~1\Toolbar\WSG.exe -Embedding
TBPSSvc.exe C:\PROGRA~1\Toolbar\TBPSSvc.exe
VSStat.exe "C:\Program Files\Network Associates\VirusScan\VsStat.exe"
vshwin32.exe "C:\Program Files\Network
Associates\VirusScan\Vshwin32.exe"
vsmon.exe C:\WINDOWS\system32\ZoneLabs\vsmon.exe -service
Avconsol.exe "C:\Program Files\Network
Associates\VirusScan\Avconsol.exe"
iPodService.exe "C:\Program Files\iPod\bin\iPodService.exe"
Mcshield.exe "C:\Program Files\Common Files\Network
Associates\McShield\Mcshield.exe"
ATKOSD.exe ATKOSD.exe
alg.exe
wisptis.exe "C:\WINDOWS\System32\wisptis.exe" -Embedding
csmenu.exe "C:\csclient\csmenu.exe"
QuarkXPress Passport"C:\Program Files\QuarkXPress Passport\QuarkXPress
Passport.exe"
iexplore.exe "C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer\iexplore.exe"
-Embedding
WINZIP32.EXE "C:\PROGRA~1\WINZIP\winzip32.exe" "C:\Documents and
Settings\TonyS\Desktop\Compaq Drivers\StartupTracker3.zip"
StartupTracker3.exe "C:\Documents and Settings\TonyS\Local
Settings\Temp\StartupTracker3.exe"
notepad.exe C:\WINDOWS\notepad.exe C:\Documents and
Settings\TonyS\My Documents\startuplog.txt
wmiprvse.exe

-- Running Services --

Name: ALG
Connection Sharing and the Windows Firewall.
Startup Mode: Manual
Run from: C:\WINDOWS\System32\alg.exe

Name: Ati HotKey Poller
Startup Mode: Auto
Run from: C:\WINDOWS\System32\Ati2evxx.exe

Name: AudioSrv
service is stopped, audio devices and effects will not function properly. If
this service is disabled, any services that explicitly depend on it will fail
to start.
Startup Mode: Auto
Run from: C:\WINDOWS\System32\svchost.exe -k netsvcs

Name: AvSynMgr
Startup Mode: Auto
Run from: "C:\Program Files\Network Associates\VirusScan\Avsynmgr.exe"

Name: Browser
supplies this list to computers designated as browsers. If this service is
stopped, this list will not be updated or maintained. If this service is
disabled, any services that explicitly depend on it will fail to start.
Startup Mode: Auto
Run from: C:\WINDOWS\System32\svchost.exe -k netsvcs

Name: BthServ
Startup Mode: Auto
Run from: C:\WINDOWS\system32\svchost.exe -k bthsvcs

Name: CryptSvc
which confirms the signatures of Windows files; Protected Root Service, which
adds and removes Trusted Root Certification Authority certificates from this
computer; and Key Service, which helps enroll this computer for certificates.
If this service is stopped, these management services will not function
properly. If this service is disabled, any services that explicitly depend on
it will fail to start.
Startup Mode: Auto
Run from: C:\WINDOWS\system32\svchost.exe -k netsvcs

Name: DcomLaunch
Startup Mode: Auto
Run from: C:\WINDOWS\system32\svchost -k DcomLaunch

Name: Dhcp
addresses and DNS names.
Startup Mode: Auto
Run from: C:\WINDOWS\System32\svchost.exe -k netsvcs

Name: dmserver
information to Logical Disk Manager Administrative Service for configuration.
If this service is stopped, dynamic disk status and configuration information
may become out of date. If this service is disabled, any services that
explicitly depend on it will fail to start.
Startup Mode: Auto
Run from: C:\WINDOWS\System32\svchost.exe -k netsvcs

Name: Dnscache
computer. If this service is stopped, this computer will not be able to
resolve DNS names and locate Active Directory domain controllers. If this
service is disabled, any services that explicitly depend on it will fail to
start.
Startup Mode: Auto
Run from: C:\WINDOWS\System32\svchost.exe -k NetworkService

Name: ERSvc
non-standard environments.
Startup Mode: Auto
Run from: C:\WINDOWS\System32\svchost.exe -k netsvcs

Name: Eventlog
components to be viewed in Event Viewer. This service cannot be stopped.
Startup Mode: Auto
Run from: C:\WINDOWS\system32\services.exe

Name: EventSystem
provides automatic distribution of events to subscribing Component Object
Model (COM) components. If the service is stopped, SENS will close and will
not be able to provide logon and logoff notifications. If this service is
disabled, any services that explicitly depend on it will fail to start.
Startup Mode: Manual
Run from: C:\WINDOWS\System32\svchost.exe -k netsvcs

Name: FastUserSwitchingCompatibility
a multiple user environment.
Startup Mode: Manual
Run from: C:\WINDOWS\System32\svchost.exe -k netsvcs

Name: helpsvc
this service is stopped, Help and Support Center will be unavailable. If this
service is disabled, any services that explicitly depend on it will fail to
start.
Startup Mode: Auto
Run from: C:\WINDOWS\System32\svchost.exe -k netsvcs

Name: iPodService
Startup Mode: Manual
Run from: C:\Program Files\iPod\bin\iPodService.exe

Name: lanmanserver
for this computer. If this service is stopped, these functions will be
unavailable. If this service is disabled, any services that explicitly depend
on it will fail to start.
Startup Mode: Auto
Run from: C:\WINDOWS\System32\svchost.exe -k netsvcs

Name: lanmanworkstation
servers. If this service is stopped, these connections will be unavailable.
If this service is disabled, any services that explicitly depend on it will
fail to start.
Startup Mode: Auto
Run from: C:\WINDOWS\System32\svchost.exe -k netsvcs

Name: LmHosts
NetBIOS name resolution.
Startup Mode: Auto
Run from: C:\WINDOWS\System32\svchost.exe -k LocalService

Name: McShield
Startup Mode: Manual
Run from: "C:\Program Files\Common Files\Network
Associates\McShield\Mcshield.exe"

Name: Netman
in which you can view both local area network and remote connections.
Startup Mode: Manual
Run from: C:\WINDOWS\System32\svchost.exe -k netsvcs

Name: Nla
information, and notifies applications when this information changes.
Startup Mode: Manual
Run from: C:\WINDOWS\System32\svchost.exe -k netsvcs

Name: PlugPlay
with little or no user input. Stopping or disabling this service will result
in system instability.
Startup Mode: Auto
Run from: C:\WINDOWS\system32\services.exe

Name: PolicyAgent
and the IP security driver.
Startup Mode: Auto
Run from: C:\WINDOWS\System32\lsass.exe

Name: ProtectedStorage
keys, to prevent access by unauthorized services, processes, or users.
Startup Mode: Auto
Run from: C:\WINDOWS\system32\lsass.exe

Name: RasMan
Startup Mode: Manual
Run from: C:\WINDOWS\System32\svchost.exe -k netsvcs

Name: RemoteRegistry
computer. If this service is stopped, the registry can be modified only by
users on this computer. If this service is disabled, any services that
explicitly depend on it will fail to start.
Startup Mode: Auto
Run from: C:\WINDOWS\system32\svchost.exe -k LocalService

Name: RpcSs
services.
Startup Mode: Auto
Run from: C:\WINDOWS\system32\svchost -k rpcss

Name: SamSs
Startup Mode: Auto
Run from: C:\WINDOWS\system32\lsass.exe

Name: Schedule
this computer. If this service is stopped, these tasks will not be run at
their scheduled times. If this service is disabled, any services that
explicitly depend on it will fail to start.
Startup Mode: Auto
Run from: C:\WINDOWS\System32\svchost.exe -k netsvcs

Name: seclogon
service is stopped, this type of logon access will be unavailable. If this
service is disabled, any services that explicitly depend on it will fail to
start.
Startup Mode: Auto
Run from: C:\WINDOWS\System32\svchost.exe -k netsvcs

Name: SENS
events. Notifies COM+ Event System subscribers of these events.
Startup Mode: Auto
Run from: C:\WINDOWS\system32\svchost.exe -k netsvcs

Name: SharedAccess
resolution and/or intrusion prevention services for a home or small office
network.
Startup Mode: Auto
Run from: C:\WINDOWS\System32\svchost.exe -k netsvcs

Name: ShellHWDetection
Startup Mode: Auto
Run from: C:\WINDOWS\System32\svchost.exe -k netsvcs

Name: Spooler
Startup Mode: Auto
Run from: C:\WINDOWS\system32\spoolsv.exe

Name: srservice
System Restore from the System Restore tab in My Computer->Properties
Startup Mode: Auto
Run from: C:\WINDOWS\System32\svchost.exe -k netsvcs

Name: SSDPSRV
Startup Mode: Manual
Run from: C:\WINDOWS\System32\svchost.exe -k LocalService

Name: TapiSrv
telephony devices and IP based voice connections on the local computer and,
through the LAN, on servers that are also running the service.
Startup Mode: Manual
Run from: C:\WINDOWS\System32\svchost.exe -k netsvcs

Name: TBPSSvc
Startup Mode: Auto
Run from: C:\PROGRA~1\Toolbar\TBPSSvc.exe

Name: TermService
machine as well as the display of desktops and applications to remote
computers. The underpinning of Remote Desktop (including RD for
Administrators), Fast User Switching, Remote Assistance, and Terminal Server.
Startup Mode: Manual
Run from: C:\WINDOWS\System32\svchost -k DComLaunch

Name: Themes
Startup Mode: Auto
Run from: C:\WINDOWS\System32\svchost.exe -k netsvcs

Name: TrkWks
computers in a network domain.
Startup Mode: Auto
Run from: C:\WINDOWS\system32\svchost.exe -k netsvcs

Name: vsmon
access.
Startup Mode: Auto
Run from: C:\WINDOWS\system32\ZoneLabs\vsmon.exe -service

Name: W32Time
servers in the network. If this service is stopped, date and time
synchronization will be unavailable. If this service is disabled, any
services that explicitly depend on it will fail to start.

Startup Mode: Auto
Run from: C:\WINDOWS\System32\svchost.exe -k netsvcs

Name: WebClient
Internet-based files. If this service is stopped, these functions will not be
available. If this service is disabled, any services that explicitly depend
on it will fail to start.
Startup Mode: Auto
Run from: C:\WINDOWS\System32\svchost.exe -k LocalService

Name: winmgmt
management information about operating system, devices, applications and
services. If this service is stopped, most Windows-based software will not
function properly. If this service is disabled, any services that explicitly
depend on it will fail to start.
Startup Mode: Auto
Run from: C:\WINDOWS\system32\svchost.exe -k netsvcs

Name: wscsvc
Startup Mode: Auto
Run from: C:\WINDOWS\System32\svchost.exe -k netsvcs

Name: wuauserv
updates. If the service is disabled, the operating system can be manually
updated at the Windows Update Web site.
Startup Mode: Auto
Run from: C:\WINDOWS\system32\svchost.exe -k netsvcs

Name: WZCSVC

"Ramesh, MS-MVP" wrote:

> Try this: http://www.dougknox.com/xp/utils/xp_starttrack.htm
> Post the log file here, as that may reveal something.
>
> --
> Ramesh, Microsoft MVP
> Windows XP Shell/User
> http://windowsxp.mvps.org
>

> "Famine" <Famine@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > msimn.exe is not in the startup, but Microsoft outlook is when this is
> > unchecked at bootup the system tells me the config has been changed,
> > however
> > outlook express continues to load anyway.
> >

> > "Ramesh, MS-MVP" wrote:
> >
> >> Famine,
> >>
> >> Type MSCONFIG in Start, Run dialog. Click the Startup tab, and then
> >> uncheck
> >> msimn.exe entry (if present)
> >>
> >> --
> >> Ramesh, Microsoft MVP
> >> Windows XP Shell/User
> >> http://windowsxp.mvps.org
> >>

> >> "Famine" <Famine@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

Famine,

Not sure which of the entries triggers msimn.exe process, but there are few
malware processes in the list.

http://www.liutilities.com/products/wintaskspro/processlibrary/TBPS/
http://www3.ca.com/securityadvisor/pest/pest.aspx?id=453077909

Try Trend Micro's Sysclean package (free), it's capable of eliminating
keyloggers, trojans etc. Full instructions at:

Generic Trojan / Adware Infestation Removal Procedure:

Trend Micro Sysclean package
http://aumha.net/viewtopic.php?t=10820

The Parasite Fight - Quick Fix Protocol:
http://aumha.org/a/quickfix.php