"Used Space"

When checking the status of drive C:, I am told that 27.5 GB has been used,
however this is about 4GB higher than before with no apparent reason. The
only change was adding PC-cillin to my computer. The really strange part
though is that when I check the C: drive folder by folder, the total used
space is only 23 GB, what I would expect. Does anyone know what is going on?

thanks
10 answers Last reply
More about used space

    You cannot verify space usage via a folder by folder . Notice that there are
    two sizes listed for each folder and file e.g. "file size" and "size on
    disk" - housekeeping functions can account for size variation - following is
    a good reference:

    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;273588

    AL(KB3U) & Darlene Romanosky N. Ft.
    Myers, FL

    Also, is there "housekeeping" functions thta would clear up the discrepancy?
    I have run Check disc, cleanup and defrag

    "Al Romanosky" wrote:

    > You cannot verify space usage via a folder by folder . Notice that there are
    > two sizes listed for each folder and file e.g. "file size" and "size on
    > disk" - housekeeping functions can account for size variation - following is
    > a good reference:
    >
    > http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;273588

    > AL(KB3U) & Darlene Romanosky N. Ft.
    > Myers, FL

    Hi Al,

    Would the difference be so high, about 20%, also, I am a bit suspicious that
    some "used space" is not accurate because it jumped up by sevarl GB when I
    got rid of Mcaffee, and installed PC-cillin.

    What do you think

    thanks

    Chris

    "Al Romanosky" wrote:

    > You cannot verify space usage via a folder by folder . Notice that there are
    > two sizes listed for each folder and file e.g. "file size" and "size on
    > disk" - housekeeping functions can account for size variation - following is
    > a good reference:
    >
    > http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;273588

    > AL(KB3U) & Darlene Romanosky N. Ft.
    > Myers, FL

    Differences in size (according to Microsoft) will vary... some factors
    involved are: File permission, Hidden system files and Hardware
    configurations and space used by temp files generated by background
    programs- some utilities such as anti-virus are notorious resource "hogs".
    There are size variations also due to size notation: as you know one KB is
    1024 bytes- usually reported as 1 kb. IK - in other words a 600 mb CD
    actually has approx 614,400,000 bytes not 600,000,000 as reported. (Whew!)
    you can see the effect at the gigabyte range.

    AL(KB3U) & Darlene Romanosky N. Ft.
    Myers, FL

    Try in System Properties check the pagefile size. Default settings are 1.5*
    Your RAM. So if U have 1GB= +1,5 GB used but hide (but U can see it in
    properties) You can set it manually.

    Use Ace Utilities and option: Protect => Wipe Deleted File Data. It deletes
    the space used by deleted items, and erases the real, not logical, data.

    Hope it will help
    Paula Januszkiewicz

    U¿ytkownik "christoforest" <christoforest@discussions.microsoft.com> napisa³
    w wiadomo¶ci news:068AA032-15C8-41F0-8346-41C4E1E44CDC@microsoft.com...
    > When checking the status of drive C:, I am told that 27.5 GB has been
    used,
    > however this is about 4GB higher than before with no apparent reason. The
    > only change was adding PC-cillin to my computer. The really strange part
    > though is that when I check the C: drive folder by folder, the total used
    > space is only 23 GB, what I would expect. Does anyone know what is going
    on?

    > thanks

    Hi Paula,

    Thanks for the suggestions. Sorry but I am a real neophyte with this. What
    is Ace Utilities? Also, I have 512MB RAM, so if the page file were set to
    1.5, that would only give me a 250 MB difference overall, I think, is that
    correct?

    Chris

    "Paula Januszkiewicz" wrote:

    > Try in System Properties check the pagefile size. Default settings are 1.5*
    > Your RAM. So if U have 1GB= +1,5 GB used but hide (but U can see it in
    > properties) You can set it manually.
    >
    > Use Ace Utilities and option: Protect => Wipe Deleted File Data. It deletes
    > the space used by deleted items, and erases the real, not logical, data.
    >
    > Hope it will help
    > Paula Januszkiewicz
    >
    > U¿ytkownik "christoforest" <christoforest@discussions.microsoft.com> napisa³
    > w wiadomo¶ci news:068AA032-15C8-41F0-8346-41C4E1E44CDC@microsoft.com...
    > > When checking the status of drive C:, I am told that 27.5 GB has been
    > used,
    > > however this is about 4GB higher than before with no apparent reason. The
    > > only change was adding PC-cillin to my computer. The really strange part
    > > though is that when I check the C: drive folder by folder, the total used
    > > space is only 23 GB, what I would expect. Does anyone know what is going
    > on?
    > >
    > > thanks

    Ok, I used Ace utilities, and wiped out the deleted files and the problem was
    fixed!

    thanks

    Chris

    "Paula Januszkiewicz" wrote:

    > Try in System Properties check the pagefile size. Default settings are 1.5*
    > Your RAM. So if U have 1GB= +1,5 GB used but hide (but U can see it in
    > properties) You can set it manually.
    >
    > Use Ace Utilities and option: Protect => Wipe Deleted File Data. It deletes
    > the space used by deleted items, and erases the real, not logical, data.
    >
    > Hope it will help
    > Paula Januszkiewicz
    >
    > U¿ytkownik "christoforest" <christoforest@discussions.microsoft.com> napisa³
    > w wiadomo¶ci news:068AA032-15C8-41F0-8346-41C4E1E44CDC@microsoft.com...
    > > When checking the status of drive C:, I am told that 27.5 GB has been
    > used,
    > > however this is about 4GB higher than before with no apparent reason. The
    > > only change was adding PC-cillin to my computer. The really strange part
    > > though is that when I check the C: drive folder by folder, the total used
    > > space is only 23 GB, what I would expect. Does anyone know what is going
    > on?
    > >
    > > thanks

    ACE Util. it's a program that can be downloaded here:
    http://www.acelogix.com/.
    Nice soft :)

    Problem is, what U are looking at? When U choose properties of all folders,
    on your system partition, from the popup menu. U should look for 2
    positions:

    1. Size
    2. Size on Disk (I'm not sure if it sounds like a say, I have a polish
    system, but the context is similar)

    Ad1. This is a real size of your file.
    Ad2. Depends on your file system (FAT32, NTFS, FAT and so on). For example U
    have on your HDD clusters 4kB, and you have a 1 kB file to save, the real
    size of it is 1kB, but on your hdd U have to write it into one cluster
    (4kB), and then U have only one file for one cluster, so these 3 kB are
    marked as "written" and they are logically "lost". There are some 3rd party
    tools that can change this what U are talking about: real size= logical
    size, during formatting change the size of cluster:
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;q314878

    Quite tricky, there is another situation, which U may be interested in:
    producers use to tell about unreal capacity, they count: 1000B=1KB,
    1000KB=1MB and1000MB=1GB and so on. U know that is like this: 1GB to
    it's1024MB, MB it's1024KB...
    So when U have 40GB HDD it means, that U have 39062500KB = 38146,9MB = 37,2
    GB.

    Remember that paging file (if U have default it is: 768MB) and other
    important system files are hidden. PF is not included into the size report
    in properties. So if U think that U can f.ex. 768 mb free on your system
    partition, and U see the message that U are running put of space, dont worry
    :) then U will know what is going on :).

    Hope it helped.
    Paula Januszkiewicz

    ace did the trick, thanks!

    "Paula Januszkiewicz" wrote:

    > ACE Util. it's a program that can be downloaded here:
    > http://www.acelogix.com/.
    > Nice soft :)
    >
    > Problem is, what U are looking at? When U choose properties of all folders,
    > on your system partition, from the popup menu. U should look for 2
    > positions:
    >
    > 1. Size
    > 2. Size on Disk (I'm not sure if it sounds like a say, I have a polish
    > system, but the context is similar)
    >
    > Ad1. This is a real size of your file.
    > Ad2. Depends on your file system (FAT32, NTFS, FAT and so on). For example U
    > have on your HDD clusters 4kB, and you have a 1 kB file to save, the real
    > size of it is 1kB, but on your hdd U have to write it into one cluster
    > (4kB), and then U have only one file for one cluster, so these 3 kB are
    > marked as "written" and they are logically "lost". There are some 3rd party
    > tools that can change this what U are talking about: real size= logical
    > size, during formatting change the size of cluster:
    > http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;q314878
    >
    > Quite tricky, there is another situation, which U may be interested in:
    > producers use to tell about unreal capacity, they count: 1000B=1KB,
    > 1000KB=1MB and1000MB=1GB and so on. U know that is like this: 1GB to
    > it's1024MB, MB it's1024KB...
    > So when U have 40GB HDD it means, that U have 39062500KB = 38146,9MB = 37,2
    > GB.
    >
    > Remember that paging file (if U have default it is: 768MB) and other
    > important system files are hidden. PF is not included into the size report
    > in properties. So if U think that U can f.ex. 768 mb free on your system
    > partition, and U see the message that U are running put of space, dont worry
    > :) then U will know what is going on :).
    >
    > Hope it helped.
    > Paula Januszkiewicz

    No problem :)

    U¿ytkownik "christoforest" <christoforest@discussions.microsoft.com> napisa³
    w wiadomo¶ci news:A9A7A189-7F17-449D-AF72-882BE9E38727@microsoft.com...
    > ace did the trick, thanks!
    >
    > "Paula Januszkiewicz" wrote:
    >
    > > ACE Util. it's a program that can be downloaded here:
    > > http://www.acelogix.com/.
    > > Nice soft :)
    > >
    > > Problem is, what U are looking at? When U choose properties of all
    folders,
    > > on your system partition, from the popup menu. U should look for 2
    > > positions:
    > >
    > > 1. Size
    > > 2. Size on Disk (I'm not sure if it sounds like a say, I have a polish
    > > system, but the context is similar)
    > >
    > > Ad1. This is a real size of your file.
    > > Ad2. Depends on your file system (FAT32, NTFS, FAT and so on). For
    example U
    > > have on your HDD clusters 4kB, and you have a 1 kB file to save, the
    real
    > > size of it is 1kB, but on your hdd U have to write it into one cluster
    > > (4kB), and then U have only one file for one cluster, so these 3 kB are
    > > marked as "written" and they are logically "lost". There are some 3rd
    party
    > > tools that can change this what U are talking about: real size= logical
    > > size, during formatting change the size of cluster:
    > > http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;q314878
    > >
    > > Quite tricky, there is another situation, which U may be interested in:
    > > producers use to tell about unreal capacity, they count: 1000B=1KB,
    > > 1000KB=1MB and1000MB=1GB and so on. U know that is like this: 1GB to
    > > it's1024MB, MB it's1024KB...
    > > So when U have 40GB HDD it means, that U have 39062500KB = 38146,9MB =
    37,2
    > > GB.
    > >
    > > Remember that paging file (if U have default it is: 768MB) and other
    > > important system files are hidden. PF is not included into the size
    report
    > > in properties. So if U think that U can f.ex. 768 mb free on your system
    > > partition, and U see the message that U are running put of space, dont
    worry
    > > :) then U will know what is going on :).
    > >
    > > Hope it helped.
    > > Paula Januszkiewicz

Windows XP