Home Network with Windows Me - DHCP assigned unknown IP ad..

I had set-up my Windows Me home computer perfectly working with the automatic
assignment of an IP address through DHCP. the network router assigned me well
an IP address in range 192.168.1.100 - 192.168.1.199 with subnet mask
255.255.255.0

However, because of network printing problems after buying a new Lexmark
X7170, I tried to set-up the network through the 'Set up a home or small
office network' wizzard from my XP business laptop. After running
netsetup.exe on my Windows Me, I now always get assigned 169.254.225.55
subnet mask 255.255.0.0 which I don't know where the system gets this from.
Whatever I reconfigure in the Network properties, it does not change (except
if I assign a fixed IP address). It looks like the DHCP address is somewhere
hardcoded...

Anyone who can help me to get my automatic DHCP IP address assignment
working properly again ?
1 answer Last reply
More about home network windows dhcp assigned unknown

    You tried runing the Wizzard again?

    The IP that you have is a Private address the OS put that IP when don't
    locate a DHCP server in the network.

    Regards,

    Bela Istok

    "karel.geeraert@pandora.be"
    <karel.geeraert@pandora.be@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    >I had set-up my Windows Me home computer perfectly working with the
    >automatic
    > assignment of an IP address through DHCP. the network router assigned me
    > well
    > an IP address in range 192.168.1.100 - 192.168.1.199 with subnet mask
    > 255.255.255.0
    >
    > However, because of network printing problems after buying a new Lexmark
    > X7170, I tried to set-up the network through the 'Set up a home or small
    > office network' wizzard from my XP business laptop. After running
    > netsetup.exe on my Windows Me, I now always get assigned 169.254.225.55
    > subnet mask 255.255.0.0 which I don't know where the system gets this
    > from.
    > Whatever I reconfigure in the Network properties, it does not change
    > (except
    > if I assign a fixed IP address). It looks like the DHCP address is
    > somewhere
    > hardcoded...
    >
    > Anyone who can help me to get my automatic DHCP IP address assignment
    > working properly again ?

Routers Windows Me DHCP IP Address Networking