Home Network with Windows Me - DHCP assigned unknown IP ad..

Last response: in Networking
September 5, 2005 3:24:05 AM

I had set-up my Windows Me home computer perfectly working with the automatic
assignment of an IP address through DHCP. the network router assigned me well
an IP address in range 192.168.1.100 - 192.168.1.199 with subnet mask
255.255.255.0

However, because of network printing problems after buying a new Lexmark
X7170, I tried to set-up the network through the 'Set up a home or small
office network' wizzard from my XP business laptop. After running
netsetup.exe on my Windows Me, I now always get assigned 169.254.225.55
subnet mask 255.255.0.0 which I don't know where the system gets this from.
Whatever I reconfigure in the Network properties, it does not change (except
if I assign a fixed IP address). It looks like the DHCP address is somewhere
hardcoded...

Anyone who can help me to get my automatic DHCP IP address assignment
working properly again ?
Anonymous
September 6, 2005 1:35:47 PM

You tried runing the Wizzard again?

The IP that you have is a Private address the OS put that IP when don't
locate a DHCP server in the network.

Regards,

Bela Istok

!