Ti4200 Compatibility issue

G

I need help...and i am not sure if this is the right place, but...

i have a PC Chips MB, model 810 with the SiS 730 chipset made by Amptron. It has an onboard AGP graphics chip that shares memory.

So, i decided it was time to change that, and ordered a Geforce Ti4200 128MB 4x AGP card (which i am very pleased with in my other PC)

After installing and booting WINDOWS 98se it found the new hardward, asked for the drivers, i fed it the CD and did the reboot.

Well, one of two things happens now...

Either the computer stops during boot and reboots itself

Or Windows gives the "While initializing device IOS; Windows Protection Error" without completing the boot process...

I can reboot in "safe mode" and i can remove the card and set the computer back to the onboard AGP and it is fine...ARGH!!!!

Any suggestion are much appreciated!

Mitch007

Distinguished
Mar 31, 2004
As with your other post, what's the PSU rating on all voltages, it may not have the wollap for the card, especiall if the Ti4200 has an on-board regulator to manage various AGP voltages and compatability. Aslo is teh AGP slot rated for the card. Is is a 2X4X slot

MIS645Ultra/2.4G A-Pent/2*Corsair 256MBit CL2-2-2-7XMSLLPT PC3200 DDR RAM/450W Enermax PSU/1*40Gig 7200rpm Wes-Dig/1*20Gig 7200 Hitachi Disk/GeF3 Ti200 LeadTek G-Card running 520/230 Ram/Core MHz.

G

well, thanks (again) for your ideas...

i got it working and i will tell you how...

it is not a Power issue...it seems that is a poplular suggestion around here, but no, it is not the issue.

I did my homework, and made sure the card and board where compatible on paper...both are 2x4x...but neither company really spends anytime check compatibility after the first year of a product...

it was not a driver issue, although a close guess...

yes, i had disabled the graphic card in bios...

i asked a local friend also, a day after my post...

upon his suggestion, i rooted out every startup program in the msconfig, startup file except systray...(i had also previously uninstalled Norton Antivirus which seems to have to be done before any hardware is added)

then i removed the graphics driver for the onboard AGP out of the Windows System, Device Manager (they were conflicting)

then i shut down, put the new card back in, rebooted, switched the primary graphics to pci/agp in bios, and let windows load up...

my local friend also suggested not allow the Windows Automatic hardware installer do the drivers from the CD, but to cancel it and run the install program on the CD...

i can't remember if i did this or not, i know i ran it after windows started, but windows already had the files on the HD, so maybe it found em first...

thanks again...