Networking Question

I have a small peer to peer network and want to add another Hub and/or
switch to expand it to the first floor. Current setup (all Linksys) is a
Cable/DSL 10/100 Router with four ports uplinked to a 5 port hub, with all
computers Cat5 hardwired to the Router/Hub location.

Cable Modem-->Cable Router-->5 Port Hub

I have one Cat5 hardwired jack from the 1st floor to the 2nd floor and I
want to add another Hub or Switch by uplinking the 2nd floor Hub through the
hardwired 1st floor jack, so I can connect several computers and my TiVo to
the 1st floor Hub or Switch. The distance is more than 16' but less than
328'. What I want.

5 Port Hub Uplink-->2nd FL jack to 1st FL jack-->New Hub or Switch

So, do I need a Hub or a Switch? Hubs are much cheaper than Switches. Or
should I go wireless? I prefer the speed and security of 100Mbs hardwired
as I do use it for business. Thanks, Pat

Pat Conover wrote:

>I have a small peer to peer network and want to add another Hub and/or
>switch to expand it to the first floor. Current setup (all Linksys) is a
>Cable/DSL 10/100 Router with four ports uplinked to a 5 port hub, with all
>computers Cat5 hardwired to the Router/Hub location.
>
>Cable Modem-->Cable Router-->5 Port Hub
>
>I have one Cat5 hardwired jack from the 1st floor to the 2nd floor and I
>want to add another Hub or Switch by uplinking the 2nd floor Hub through the
>hardwired 1st floor jack, so I can connect several computers and my TiVo to
>the 1st floor Hub or Switch. The distance is more than 16' but less than
>328'. What I want.
>
>5 Port Hub Uplink-->2nd FL jack to 1st FL jack-->New Hub or Switch
>
>So, do I need a Hub or a Switch? Hubs are much cheaper than Switches. Or
>should I go wireless? I prefer the speed and security of 100Mbs hardwired
>as I do use it for business. Thanks, Pat

A hub or switch will work. The benefit of a switch is that requests are
routed by the switch to the appropriate system, rather than being
broadcast as a hub does. That is, a switch knows that system 192.168.1.7
is on port 3. A request to that system is sent only through port three.
Reduces unnecessary traffic.

Thanks Jerry, I think my confusion comes from the Linksys web site says that
the cable for an uplink from a "hub to a hub" can only be 16.4' long. A
"switch to a hub or switch" can be 328' long.

Also, I bought a Linksys 8-Port switch (model EZXS88W), would it be better
to put the new switch in place of the existing 5-port hub and move that
downstairs? My business computers, printers, etc. are all on the second
floor. Thanks, Pat

Pat Conover wrote:
> Thanks Jerry, I think my confusion comes from the Linksys web site says that
> the cable for an uplink from a "hub to a hub" can only be 16.4' long. A
> "switch to a hub or switch" can be 328' long.
>
> Also, I bought a Linksys 8-Port switch (model EZXS88W), would it be better
> to put the new switch in place of the existing 5-port hub and move that
> downstairs? My business computers, printers, etc. are all on the second
> floor. Thanks, Pat
>
> "Jerry Park" <NoReply@No.Spam> wrote in message
>
>>Pat Conover wrote:
>>

>>>I have a small peer to peer network and want to add another Hub and/or
>>>switch to expand it to the first floor. Current setup (all Linksys) is a
>>>Cable/DSL 10/100 Router with four ports uplinked to a 5 port hub, with all
>>>computers Cat5 hardwired to the Router/Hub location.
>>>
>>>Cable Modem-->Cable Router-->5 Port Hub
>>>
>>>I have one Cat5 hardwired jack from the 1st floor to the 2nd floor and I
>>>want to add another Hub or Switch by uplinking the 2nd floor Hub through
>>>the hardwired 1st floor jack, so I can connect several computers and my
>>>TiVo to the 1st floor Hub or Switch. The distance is more than 16' but
>>>less than 328'. What I want.
>>>
>>>5 Port Hub Uplink-->2nd FL jack to 1st FL jack-->New Hub or Switch
>>>
>>>So, do I need a Hub or a Switch? Hubs are much cheaper than Switches. Or
>>>should I go wireless? I prefer the speed and security of 100Mbs hardwired
>>>as I do use it for business. Thanks, Pat
>>>

>>A hub or switch will work. The benefit of a switch is that requests are
>>routed by the switch to the appropriate system, rather than being
>>broadcast as a hub does. That is, a switch knows that system 192.168.1.7
>>is on port 3. A request to that system is sent only through port three.
>>Reduces unnecessary traffic.

The linksys document which states 16ft is flat-out wrong. The distance
is determined by the type of cable being used. The limit to category 5
cable is 100 meters of 328 feet regardless of the type of equipment
being used.

These days, the price of a hub versus a switch is a very small increase.
I would in no way consider the use of a hub with switches as cheap as
what they are.

In all honesty, I would get rid of any hub that you have on your network
and replace it with a switch. You can pick up a 5 port linksys switch
from www.newegg.com for $30 or less.

in my opinion, if you can run the wires that is what I would do. Wired
is faster and far more secure.

Thanks Patrick, I think I'll pickup two new switches from NewEgg a 5-Port
for downstairs and an 8-Port for upstairs. It will be interesting to see if
there's any noticeable day to day speed differences from the hub versus
switch. Pat

"Patrick L. Parks" <TryThis@wontwork.com> wrote in message
> Pat Conover wrote:
>> Thanks Jerry, I think my confusion comes from the Linksys web site says
>> that the cable for an uplink from a "hub to a hub" can only be 16.4'
>> long. A "switch to a hub or switch" can be 328' long.
>>
>> Also, I bought a Linksys 8-Port switch (model EZXS88W), would it be
>> better to put the new switch in place of the existing 5-port hub and move
>> that downstairs? My business computers, printers, etc. are all on the
>> second floor. Thanks, Pat
>>
>> "Jerry Park" <NoReply@No.Spam> wrote in message

>>>A hub or switch will work. The benefit of a switch is that requests are
>>>routed by the switch to the appropriate system, rather than being
>>>broadcast as a hub does. That is, a switch knows that system 192.168.1.7
>>>is on port 3. A request to that system is sent only through port three.
>>>Reduces unnecessary traffic.
>>

> The linksys document which states 16ft is flat-out wrong. The distance is
> determined by the type of cable being used. The limit to category 5 cable
> is 100 meters of 328 feet regardless of the type of equipment being used.
>
> These days, the price of a hub versus a switch is a very small increase. I
> would in no way consider the use of a hub with switches as cheap as what
> they are.
>
> In all honesty, I would get rid of any hub that you have on your network
> and replace it with a switch. You can pick up a 5 port linksys switch
> from www.newegg.com for $30 or less.
>
> in my opinion, if you can run the wires that is what I would do. Wired is
> faster and far more secure.

dogface

Distinguished
Feb 12, 2005

"Jerry Park" <NoReply@No.Spam> wrote in message
> Pat Conover wrote:
>
> >I have a small peer to peer network and want to add another Hub and/or
> >switch to expand it to the first floor. Current setup (all Linksys) is a
> >Cable/DSL 10/100 Router with four ports uplinked to a 5 port hub, with
all
> >computers Cat5 hardwired to the Router/Hub location.
> >
> >Cable Modem-->Cable Router-->5 Port Hub
> >
> >I have one Cat5 hardwired jack from the 1st floor to the 2nd floor and I
> >want to add another Hub or Switch by uplinking the 2nd floor Hub through
the
> >hardwired 1st floor jack, so I can connect several computers and my TiVo
> >the 1st floor Hub or Switch. The distance is more than 16' but less than
> >328'. What I want.
> >
> >5 Port Hub Uplink-->2nd FL jack to 1st FL jack-->New Hub or Switch
> >
> >So, do I need a Hub or a Switch? Hubs are much cheaper than Switches.
Or
> >should I go wireless? I prefer the speed and security of 100Mbs
hardwired
> >as I do use it for business. Thanks, Pat
> >

> A hub or switch will work. The benefit of a switch is that requests are
> routed by the switch to the appropriate system, rather than being
> broadcast as a hub does. That is, a switch knows that system 192.168.1.7
> is on port 3. A request to that system is sent only through port three.
> Reduces unnecessary traffic.

http://www.practicallynetworked.com/networking/bridge_types.htm

switches are too cheap to use hubs these days.

wireless can be secure. it is very convenient but you could have signal
issues depending on the environment. of course the added cost of wirless
cards or access points jumps the price up. but it'll be quick and
relatively painless versus running cable.

keep in mind that one of the ports will be occupied by the uplinks cable;
effective making your 5 port/8 port switches 4 port/ 7 port. i recommend
getting larger capacity than you may currently need (you may want to add a
network printer or another computer or another tivo). furthermore, getting
two identical ones will help you troubleshoot a bad device or bad ac adapter
in the future as you will be able to swap out the ac to help troubleshoot
the device.

"Pat Conover" <pat conover at comcast dot net> wrote in message
> Thanks Patrick, I think I'll pickup two new switches from NewEgg a 5-Port
> for downstairs and an 8-Port for upstairs. It will be interesting to see
> if there's any noticeable day to day speed differences from the hub versus
> switch. Pat
>
> "Patrick L. Parks" <TryThis@wontwork.com> wrote in message
>> Pat Conover wrote:
>>> Thanks Jerry, I think my confusion comes from the Linksys web site says
>>> that the cable for an uplink from a "hub to a hub" can only be 16.4'
>>> long. A "switch to a hub or switch" can be 328' long.
>>>
>>> Also, I bought a Linksys 8-Port switch (model EZXS88W), would it be
>>> better to put the new switch in place of the existing 5-port hub and
>>> move that downstairs? My business computers, printers, etc. are all on
>>> the second floor. Thanks, Pat
>>>
>>> "Jerry Park" <NoReply@No.Spam> wrote in message

>> The linksys document which states 16ft is flat-out wrong. The distance
>> is determined by the type of cable being used. The limit to category 5
>> cable is 100 meters of 328 feet regardless of the type of equipment being
>> used.
>>
>> These days, the price of a hub versus a switch is a very small increase.
>> I would in no way consider the use of a hub with switches as cheap as
>> what they are.
>>
>> In all honesty, I would get rid of any hub that you have on your network
>> and replace it with a switch. You can pick up a 5 port linksys switch
>> from www.newegg.com for $30 or less.
>>
>> in my opinion, if you can run the wires that is what I would do. Wired
>> is faster and far more secure.

In addition to what everyone else has said, I would recommend that you plug
BOTH switches into the Linksys and not cascade the switches.
The less hub/switch jumps the better is the golden rule...
Jerry

>I have a small peer to peer network and want to add another Hub and/or
>switch to expand it to the first floor. Current setup (all Linksys) is a
>Cable/DSL 10/100 Router with four ports uplinked to a 5 port hub, with all
>computers Cat5 hardwired to the Router/Hub location.
>
> Cable Modem-->Cable Router-->5 Port Hub
>
> I have one Cat5 hardwired jack from the 1st floor to the 2nd floor and I
> want to add another Hub or Switch by uplinking the 2nd floor Hub through
> the hardwired 1st floor jack, so I can connect several computers and my
> TiVo to the 1st floor Hub or Switch. The distance is more than 16' but
> less than 328'. What I want.
>
> 5 Port Hub Uplink-->2nd FL jack to 1st FL jack-->New Hub or Switch
>
> So, do I need a Hub or a Switch? Hubs are much cheaper than Switches. Or
> should I go wireless? I prefer the speed and security of 100Mbs hardwired
> as I do use it for business. Thanks, Pat

Thanks to all the responses, as usual in this group. I guess my network is
pretty old, since I am still using the original linksys hub. Sounds like
two 8-port linksys switches is the trick. Chris is right, keeping all
linksys, or your favorite flavor, has always the best way to go. If I have
one 8-port switch in the first floor closet, I can have my cable guy run
jacks to every first floor room from the basement.

The cable router also has four ports, but as Chris pointed out, one is lost
to the uplink to the hub (new switch). Haven't noticed any speed issues, so
it will be interesting to see if there is any increased performance. With
20/20 hindsight, I guess I should have had more Cat5 jacks installed
downstairs, when the second floor was wired. Oh well... Thanks, Pat

"Dogface" <DogFace@doghouse.com> wrote in message

> "Jerry Park" <NoReply@No.Spam> wrote in message
>> Pat Conover wrote:
>>
>> >I have a small peer to peer network and want to add another Hub and/or
>> >switch to expand it to the first floor. Current setup (all Linksys) is
>> >Cable/DSL 10/100 Router with four ports uplinked to a 5 port hub, with
> all
>> >computers Cat5 hardwired to the Router/Hub location.
>> >
>> >Cable Modem-->Cable Router-->5 Port Hub
>> >
>> >I have one Cat5 hardwired jack from the 1st floor to the 2nd floor and I
>> >want to add another Hub or Switch by uplinking the 2nd floor Hub through
> the
>> >hardwired 1st floor jack, so I can connect several computers and my TiVo
>> >the 1st floor Hub or Switch. The distance is more than 16' but less
>> >than
>> >328'. What I want.
>> >
>> >5 Port Hub Uplink-->2nd FL jack to 1st FL jack-->New Hub or Switch
>> >
>> >So, do I need a Hub or a Switch? Hubs are much cheaper than Switches.
> Or
>> >should I go wireless? I prefer the speed and security of 100Mbs
> hardwired
>> >as I do use it for business. Thanks, Pat
>> >

>> A hub or switch will work. The benefit of a switch is that requests are
>> routed by the switch to the appropriate system, rather than being
>> broadcast as a hub does. That is, a switch knows that system 192.168.1.7
>> is on port 3. A request to that system is sent only through port three.
>> Reduces unnecessary traffic.
>
> http://www.practicallynetworked.com/networking/bridge_types.htm
>
> switches are too cheap to use hubs these days.
>
> wireless can be secure. it is very convenient but you could have signal
> issues depending on the environment. of course the added cost of wirless
> cards or access points jumps the price up. but it'll be quick and
> relatively painless versus running cable.

Update. Bought two new 8-port switches and setup as discussed below. Of
course while at Best Buy I had to see if there were any good deals on
another TiVo and ended up getting a 40 hour for $40 after $100 rebate. The
network does seem a little faster, especially transferring shows to/from the
old and new TiVo and from the TiVo's to my PC for archiving and burning
DVD's. Thanks to all, network upgrade complete! Pat

> Thanks to all the responses, as usual in this group. I guess my network
> is pretty old, since I am still using the original linksys hub. Sounds
> like two 8-port linksys switches is the trick. Chris is right, keeping
> all linksys, or your favorite flavor, has always the best way to go. If I
> have one 8-port switch in the first floor closet, I can have my cable guy
> run jacks to every first floor room from the basement.
>
> The cable router also has four ports, but as Chris pointed out, one is
> lost to the uplink to the hub (new switch). Haven't noticed any speed
> issues, so it will be interesting to see if there is any increased
> performance. With 20/20 hindsight, I guess I should have had more Cat5
> jacks installed downstairs, when the second floor was wired. Oh well...
> Thanks, Pat
>
> "Dogface" <DogFace@doghouse.com> wrote in message
>>
>> "Jerry Park" <NoReply@No.Spam> wrote in message

>> all

>> the

>> Or
>> hardwired
>>> >

>>> A hub or switch will work. The benefit of a switch is that requests are
>>> routed by the switch to the appropriate system, rather than being
>>> broadcast as a hub does. That is, a switch knows that system 192.168.1.7
>>> is on port 3. A request to that system is sent only through port three.
>>> Reduces unnecessary traffic.
>>
>> http://www.practicallynetworked.com/networking/bridge_types.htm
>>
>> switches are too cheap to use hubs these days.
>>
>> wireless can be secure. it is very convenient but you could have signal
>> issues depending on the environment. of course the added cost of wirless
>> cards or access points jumps the price up. but it'll be quick and
>> relatively painless versus running cable.

while you were at best buy i was at staples and purchased a 200gb drive for
my tivo ($60 after rebate)... now the tivo reports 229 hours (previously
40 hours). keeping the old/original drive as a back up in the event that
this one ever fails. several different methods to 'clone' the old drive to
the new, but this method is very easy (if you have installed hard disks
before) and very fast... but only if you don't mind loosing the recorded
shows (not the season pass or other settings, just the recordings)...
http://tivo.upgrade-instructions.com/step4.php

> Update. Bought two new 8-port switches and setup as discussed below. Of
> course while at Best Buy I had to see if there were any good deals on
> another TiVo and ended up getting a 40 hour for $40 after $100 rebate.
> The network does seem a little faster, especially transferring shows
> to/from the old and new TiVo and from the TiVo's to my PC for archiving
> and burning DVD's. Thanks to all, network upgrade complete! Pat
>
> "Pat Conover" <pat conover at comcast dot net> wrote in message
>> Thanks to all the responses, as usual in this group. I guess my network
>> is pretty old, since I am still using the original linksys hub. Sounds
>> like two 8-port linksys switches is the trick. Chris is right, keeping
>> all linksys, or your favorite flavor, has always the best way to go. If
>> I have one 8-port switch in the first floor closet, I can have my cable
>> guy run jacks to every first floor room from the basement.
>>
>> The cable router also has four ports, but as Chris pointed out, one is
>> lost to the uplink to the hub (new switch). Haven't noticed any speed
>> issues, so it will be interesting to see if there is any increased
>> performance. With 20/20 hindsight, I guess I should have had more Cat5
>> jacks installed downstairs, when the second floor was wired. Oh well...
>> Thanks, Pat
>>
>> "Dogface" <DogFace@doghouse.com> wrote in message
>>>
>>> "Jerry Park" <NoReply@No.Spam> wrote in message

>>> all

>>> the

>>> Or
>>> hardwired

>>> http://www.practicallynetworked.com/networking/bridge_types.htm
>>>
>>> switches are too cheap to use hubs these days.
>>>
>>> wireless can be secure. it is very convenient but you could have signal
>>> issues depending on the environment. of course the added cost of
>>> wirless
>>> cards or access points jumps the price up. but it'll be quick and
>>> relatively painless versus running cable.

Chris, Getting a little off topic, but...was your 40-hour still under
warranty? Mine is new and I hate to void the one year warranty if I don't
have to. Did you replace the old drive with the new one and put the old one
on the shelf as a backup?

Did you get the TTG upgrade? My Toshiba SD-400, with the built-in DVD
player, has all of the reported channel changing problems, pixelation and
stuttering sound for about 10 seconds when you change the channels. Reboots
haven't helped either. Do you have any of those problems?

My new 40-hour just got the upgrade last night and I haven't had time to see
if that has the same problems yet. Thanks, Pat

> while you were at best buy i was at staples and purchased a 200gb drive
> for my tivo ($60 after rebate)... now the tivo reports 229 hours
> (previously 40 hours). keeping the old/original drive as a back up in the
> event that this one ever fails. several different methods to 'clone' the
> old drive to the new, but this method is very easy (if you have installed
> hard disks before) and very fast... but only if you don't mind loosing the
> recorded shows (not the season pass or other settings, just the
> recordings)... http://tivo.upgrade-instructions.com/step4.php
>
> "Pat Conover" <pat conover at comcast dot net> wrote in message
>> Update. Bought two new 8-port switches and setup as discussed below. Of
>> course while at Best Buy I had to see if there were any good deals on
>> another TiVo and ended up getting a 40 hour for $40 after $100 rebate.
>> The network does seem a little faster, especially transferring shows
>> to/from the old and new TiVo and from the TiVo's to my PC for archiving
>> and burning DVD's. Thanks to all, network upgrade complete! Pat
>>
>> "Pat Conover" <pat conover at comcast dot net> wrote in message
>>> Thanks to all the responses, as usual in this group. I guess my network
>>> is pretty old, since I am still using the original linksys hub. Sounds
>>> like two 8-port linksys switches is the trick. Chris is right, keeping
>>> all linksys, or your favorite flavor, has always the best way to go. If
>>> I have one 8-port switch in the first floor closet, I can have my cable
>>> guy run jacks to every first floor room from the basement.
>>>
>>> The cable router also has four ports, but as Chris pointed out, one is
>>> lost to the uplink to the hub (new switch). Haven't noticed any speed
>>> issues, so it will be interesting to see if there is any increased
>>> performance. With 20/20 hindsight, I guess I should have had more Cat5
>>> jacks installed downstairs, when the second floor was wired. Oh well...
>>> Thanks, Pat
>>>
>>> "Dogface" <DogFace@doghouse.com> wrote in message

the machine only has a 90-day warranty, possibly extended by your credit
card company (if used one with that feature to purchase it). i have the
lifetime subscription and since the lifetime that they refer to is the life
of the machine i thought i better back up that drive before it fails...
that was my primary motivation for doing the upgrade. you could just
temporarily remove the drive and attached it to a pc and boot with a utility
disk to back it up to fat partition on your pc.. accidentally booting to
windows xp could damage the drive making it unbootable... which sometimes
can be fixed. i felt that it wasn't worth the risk or hassle... instead,
when i saw the 200gb drive on sale for $60 i just decided to do the clone.
used the 'weaknees' boot cd with just my cd (see link below) and the old and
new drive connected to the pc (dimension 2400, may be a problem connecting
two ide drives and a ide cd drive to the newer dimension like the 4700 that
use the serial ata interface). the drives are by default set to 'cs' (cable
select) and must be configured as master and slave for the weaknees boot cd
confirmed that the full capacity of each drive was recognized and then
issued the copy command. took about 2 mins to copy. this method does not
copy the recorded shows, just the operating system and all the settings
(channel line up, season pass, etc...). reset both drives to 'cs' (cable
select) and installed the new freshly cloned drive in the tivo. worked like
a charm. the machine is slightly more responsive now too... but still some
hesitation when playing a new show (changing channels) but now audio plays
and picture is only thing that is hesitant. the pixilation (which is common
when starting to play a show or change channels with the original drives) is
almost completely gone. however, this drive is a little noisier than the
original. i thought is was a fluid bearing drive (per specs) but it doesn't
sound that way and you can occasionally head it hunt for information, but
not a big deal. the old drive is specific for video applications (slow
speed at 5400rpm since it doesn't really matter, no cache, and no error
correction as it doesn't matter for video as it is hard to notice an error
on screen). the new drive is 7200rpm, 8mb cache, and has the usual
correction which arguable slows down performance in this application, but it
is certainly overall faster than the stock drive. the old drive was put on
a shelf as a backup. i replaced rather than added for this reason. there
is room to add a second drive but you need a bracket to install it. as for
voiding the warranty... i don't know how on they could ever tell that you
opened the case. in fact i did this because mine was under warranty (if it
developed a problem that was not resolved by returning the old drive to the
system then i would have sent it int for service). and now i have a back up
drive. you do need a torx screwdrivers to open the case and to remove the
drive. and to create the bootable weaknees cd you need a way to burn a cd
disk from a iso image file (if you only have the basic sonic record now you
can not burn cd images from iso files, but a free demo of diskjuggler from
padus.com will let you do it). all the above is about a model 540, older
models are only able to support drive up to 137gb... to learn more, start
here... http://tivo.upgrade-instructions.com/step1.php
this is too long to proof read... so take it with a grain of salt so to
speak...

> Chris, Getting a little off topic, but...was your 40-hour still under
> warranty? Mine is new and I hate to void the one year warranty if I don't
> have to. Did you replace the old drive with the new one and put the old
> one on the shelf as a backup?
>
> Did you get the TTG upgrade? My Toshiba SD-400, with the built-in DVD
> player, has all of the reported channel changing problems, pixelation and
> stuttering sound for about 10 seconds when you change the channels.
> Reboots haven't helped either. Do you have any of those problems?
>
> My new 40-hour just got the upgrade last night and I haven't had time to
> see if that has the same problems yet. Thanks, Pat
>
> "Christopher Muto" <muto@worldnet.att.net> wrote in message
>> while you were at best buy i was at staples and purchased a 200gb drive
>> for my tivo ($60 after rebate)... now the tivo reports 229 hours
>> (previously 40 hours). keeping the old/original drive as a back up in
>> the event that this one ever fails. several different methods to 'clone'
>> the old drive to the new, but this method is very easy (if you have
>> installed hard disks before) and very fast... but only if you don't mind
>> loosing the recorded shows (not the season pass or other settings, just
>> the recordings)... http://tivo.upgrade-instructions.com/step4.php
>>
>> "Pat Conover" <pat conover at comcast dot net> wrote in message
>>> Update. Bought two new 8-port switches and setup as discussed below.
>>> Of course while at Best Buy I had to see if there were any good deals on
>>> another TiVo and ended up getting a 40 hour for $40 after $100 rebate.
>>> The network does seem a little faster, especially transferring shows
>>> to/from the old and new TiVo and from the TiVo's to my PC for archiving
>>> and burning DVD's. Thanks to all, network upgrade complete! Pat
>>>
>>> "Pat Conover" <pat conover at comcast dot net> wrote in message

this is a better place to start...
http://www.weaknees.com/upgrade_instructions.php

"Pat Conover" <pat conover at comcast dot net> wrote in message
> Chris, Getting a little off topic, but...was your 40-hour still under
> warranty? Mine is new and I hate to void the one year warranty if I don't
> have to. Did you replace the old drive with the new one and put the old
> one on the shelf as a backup?
>
> Did you get the TTG upgrade? My Toshiba SD-400, with the built-in DVD
> player, has all of the reported channel changing problems, pixelation and
> stuttering sound for about 10 seconds when you change the channels.
> Reboots haven't helped either. Do you have any of those problems?
>
> My new 40-hour just got the upgrade last night and I haven't had time to
> see if that has the same problems yet. Thanks, Pat
>
> "Christopher Muto" <muto@worldnet.att.net> wrote in message
>> while you were at best buy i was at staples and purchased a 200gb drive
>> for my tivo ($60 after rebate)... now the tivo reports 229 hours
>> (previously 40 hours). keeping the old/original drive as a back up in
>> the event that this one ever fails. several different methods to 'clone'
>> the old drive to the new, but this method is very easy (if you have
>> installed hard disks before) and very fast... but only if you don't mind
>> loosing the recorded shows (not the season pass or other settings, just
>> the recordings)... http://tivo.upgrade-instructions.com/step4.php
>>
>> "Pat Conover" <pat conover at comcast dot net> wrote in message
>>> Update. Bought two new 8-port switches and setup as discussed below.
>>> Of course while at Best Buy I had to see if there were any good deals on
>>> another TiVo and ended up getting a 40 hour for $40 after $100 rebate.
>>> The network does seem a little faster, especially transferring shows
>>> to/from the old and new TiVo and from the TiVo's to my PC for archiving
>>> and burning DVD's. Thanks to all, network upgrade complete! Pat
>>>
>>> "Pat Conover" <pat conover at comcast dot net> wrote in message

Thanks for the information Chris, I have a Dim 4550, with Nero 6 and MyDVD
Deluxe for the TTG DVD burning, so I should be able to burn an ISO file to
cd. I'm no expert, but I thought the lifetime sub was tied to the machine
thru an EPROM chip on the board, like Win XP OEM being tied to the Dell
BIOS. So, I think you can replace drives without losing your lifetime sub.
But, then again I'm fairly new at this.

> this is a better place to start...
> http://www.weaknees.com/upgrade_instructions.php
>
> "Pat Conover" <pat conover at comcast dot net> wrote in message
>> Chris, Getting a little off topic, but...was your 40-hour still under
>> warranty? Mine is new and I hate to void the one year warranty if I
>> don't have to. Did you replace the old drive with the new one and put
>> the old one on the shelf as a backup?
>>
>> Did you get the TTG upgrade? My Toshiba SD-400, with the built-in DVD
>> player, has all of the reported channel changing problems, pixelation and
>> stuttering sound for about 10 seconds when you change the channels.
>> Reboots haven't helped either. Do you have any of those problems?
>>
>> My new 40-hour just got the upgrade last night and I haven't had time to
>> see if that has the same problems yet. Thanks, Pat
>>
>> "Christopher Muto" <muto@worldnet.att.net> wrote in message
>>> while you were at best buy i was at staples and purchased a 200gb drive
>>> for my tivo ($60 after rebate)... now the tivo reports 229 hours
>>> (previously 40 hours). keeping the old/original drive as a back up in
>>> the event that this one ever fails. several different methods to
>>> 'clone' the old drive to the new, but this method is very easy (if you
>>> have installed hard disks before) and very fast... but only if you don't
>>> mind loosing the recorded shows (not the season pass or other settings,
>>> just the recordings)... http://tivo.upgrade-instructions.com/step4.php
>>>
>>> "Pat Conover" <pat conover at comcast dot net> wrote in message

i am certainly no tivo expert either... and i do think that there is some
hardware component that locks the lifetime subscription to the machine, but
i don't know for certain... but the catch is that you are not able to run
'first time setup' if you have a drive failure and do not have a backup of
your drive image. the likely source of failure in these machines are the
power supply (easily replaceable) or the hard disk (which can be replaced as
discussed above). even if you don't replace the hard disk you should
consider at least making a back up the system image as they (tivo) will not
help you restore it should it stop working outside of warranty. another
common reason for these things to fail is if the modem fails... and then it
can no longer collect updates and that renders the device pretty useless.
from reading the tivo message board (on tivo's site) it appears to have been
a big problem on the older machines but not so much of a problem on the new
machines. none the less it motivated me to get the wireless network
connection going so that i could disconnect the modem from the phone line
and eliminate the possibility of the mode being zapped... the life time
thing really is a bit of a gamble... it boils down to paying for two years
up front in the hopes that it lasts longer... and of course there is the
risk of it not even lasting the first two years... good luck.

> Thanks for the information Chris, I have a Dim 4550, with Nero 6 and MyDVD
> Deluxe for the TTG DVD burning, so I should be able to burn an ISO file to
> cd. I'm no expert, but I thought the lifetime sub was tied to the machine
> thru an EPROM chip on the board, like Win XP OEM being tied to the Dell
> BIOS. So, I think you can replace drives without losing your lifetime
> sub. But, then again I'm fairly new at this.
>
> "Christopher Muto" <muto@worldnet.att.net> wrote in message
>> this is a better place to start...
>> http://www.weaknees.com/upgrade_instructions.php
>>
>> "Pat Conover" <pat conover at comcast dot net> wrote in message
>>> Chris, Getting a little off topic, but...was your 40-hour still under
>>> warranty? Mine is new and I hate to void the one year warranty if I
>>> don't have to. Did you replace the old drive with the new one and put
>>> the old one on the shelf as a backup?
>>>
>>> Did you get the TTG upgrade? My Toshiba SD-400, with the built-in DVD
>>> player, has all of the reported channel changing problems, pixelation
>>> and stuttering sound for about 10 seconds when you change the channels.
>>> Reboots haven't helped either. Do you have any of those problems?
>>>
>>> My new 40-hour just got the upgrade last night and I haven't had time to
>>> see if that has the same problems yet. Thanks, Pat
>>>
>>> "Christopher Muto" <muto@worldnet.att.net> wrote in message

Good points Chris. I see Circuit City and Best Buy have the WD JB drives on
sale this week again and I guess I'll pick one up for a replacement and/or
backup drive. Thanks, Pat

>i am certainly no tivo expert either... and i do think that there is some
>hardware component that locks the lifetime subscription to the machine, but
>i don't know for certain... but the catch is that you are not able to run
>'first time setup' if you have a drive failure and do not have a backup of
>your drive image. the likely source of failure in these machines are the
>power supply (easily replaceable) or the hard disk (which can be replaced
>as discussed above). even if you don't replace the hard disk you should
>consider at least making a back up the system image as they (tivo) will not
>help you restore it should it stop working outside of warranty. another
>common reason for these things to fail is if the modem fails... and then it
>can no longer collect updates and that renders the device pretty useless.
>from reading the tivo message board (on tivo's site) it appears to have
>been a big problem on the older machines but not so much of a problem on
>the new machines. none the less it motivated me to get the wireless
>network connection going so that i could disconnect the modem from the
>phone line and eliminate the possibility of the mode being zapped... the
>life time thing really is a bit of a gamble... it boils down to paying for
>two years up front in the hopes that it lasts longer... and of course there
>is the risk of it not even lasting the first two years... good luck.
>
> "Pat Conover" <pat conover at comcast dot net> wrote in message
>> Thanks for the information Chris, I have a Dim 4550, with Nero 6 and
>> MyDVD Deluxe for the TTG DVD burning, so I should be able to burn an ISO
>> file to cd. I'm no expert, but I thought the lifetime sub was tied to
>> the machine thru an EPROM chip on the board, like Win XP OEM being tied
>> to the Dell BIOS. So, I think you can replace drives without losing your
>> lifetime sub. But, then again I'm fairly new at this.
>>
>> "Christopher Muto" <muto@worldnet.att.net> wrote in message
>>> this is a better place to start...
>>> http://www.weaknees.com/upgrade_instructions.php
>>>
>>> "Pat Conover" <pat conover at comcast dot net> wrote in message

one other tip... turn your "->" button into a 30 second skip as follows...
while watching a recorded show... press 'select' then 'play' then 'select'
then '3' then '0' then 'select'. you should hear three blings.... now
the -> key skips 30 seconds of content... zap those comercials by pressing
the -> key 4 or 6 times...

> Good points Chris. I see Circuit City and Best Buy have the WD JB drives
> on sale this week again and I guess I'll pick one up for a replacement
> and/or backup drive. Thanks, Pat
>
> "Christopher Muto" <muto@worldnet.att.net> wrote in message
>>i am certainly no tivo expert either... and i do think that there is some
>>hardware component that locks the lifetime subscription to the machine,
>>but i don't know for certain... but the catch is that you are not able to
>>run 'first time setup' if you have a drive failure and do not have a
>>backup of your drive image. the likely source of failure in these
>>machines are the power supply (easily replaceable) or the hard disk (which
>>can be replaced as discussed above). even if you don't replace the hard
>>disk you should consider at least making a back up the system image as
>>they (tivo) will not help you restore it should it stop working outside of
>>warranty. another common reason for these things to fail is if the modem
>>fails... and then it can no longer collect updates and that renders the
>>device pretty useless. from reading the tivo message board (on tivo's
>>site) it appears to have been a big problem on the older machines but not
>>so much of a problem on the new machines. none the less it motivated me
>>to get the wireless network connection going so that i could disconnect
>>the modem from the phone line and eliminate the possibility of the mode
>>being zapped... the life time thing really is a bit of a gamble... it
>>boils down to paying for two years up front in the hopes that it lasts
>>longer... and of course there is the risk of it not even lasting the first
>>two years... good luck.
>>
>> "Pat Conover" <pat conover at comcast dot net> wrote in message
>>> Thanks for the information Chris, I have a Dim 4550, with Nero 6 and
>>> MyDVD Deluxe for the TTG DVD burning, so I should be able to burn an ISO
>>> file to cd. I'm no expert, but I thought the lifetime sub was tied to
>>> the machine thru an EPROM chip on the board, like Win XP OEM being tied
>>> to the Dell BIOS. So, I think you can replace drives without losing
>>> your lifetime sub. But, then again I'm fairly new at this.
>>>
>>> "Christopher Muto" <muto@worldnet.att.net> wrote in message

the western digital drive is good and quiet... but when it comes to rebates
i have to say that best buy is the worst. i have had to call them to follow
up just about every single rebate i ever submitted to them. i do lots of
rebate purchasing and rarely have problems... until bestbuy came to my area
and i purchased things from them. bestbuy is a problem at least 60% of
the time (checks allegedly sent but never received, wait of another eight
weeks to reissue a 'lost', call another ten weeks later and told it was
'just sent today'.... submissions never received, etc... just awful).
staples in contrast is a dream. you can submit your rebate request on line
and don't even have to cut the bar code out of the box or mail anything to
them... they also pay the fastest of any rebates i have ever seen. god
luck.

"Pat Conover" <pat conover at comcast dot net> wrote in message
> Good points Chris. I see Circuit City and Best Buy have the WD JB drives
> on sale this week again and I guess I'll pick one up for a replacement
> and/or backup drive. Thanks, Pat
>
> "Christopher Muto" <muto@worldnet.att.net> wrote in message
>>i am certainly no tivo expert either... and i do think that there is some
>>hardware component that locks the lifetime subscription to the machine,
>>but i don't know for certain... but the catch is that you are not able to
>>run 'first time setup' if you have a drive failure and do not have a
>>backup of your drive image. the likely source of failure in these
>>machines are the power supply (easily replaceable) or the hard disk (which
>>can be replaced as discussed above). even if you don't replace the hard
>>disk you should consider at least making a back up the system image as
>>they (tivo) will not help you restore it should it stop working outside of
>>warranty. another common reason for these things to fail is if the modem
>>fails... and then it can no longer collect updates and that renders the
>>device pretty useless. from reading the tivo message board (on tivo's
>>site) it appears to have been a big problem on the older machines but not
>>so much of a problem on the new machines. none the less it motivated me
>>to get the wireless network connection going so that i could disconnect
>>the modem from the phone line and eliminate the possibility of the mode
>>being zapped... the life time thing really is a bit of a gamble... it
>>boils down to paying for two years up front in the hopes that it lasts
>>longer... and of course there is the risk of it not even lasting the first
>>two years... good luck.
>>
>> "Pat Conover" <pat conover at comcast dot net> wrote in message
>>> Thanks for the information Chris, I have a Dim 4550, with Nero 6 and
>>> MyDVD Deluxe for the TTG DVD burning, so I should be able to burn an ISO
>>> file to cd. I'm no expert, but I thought the lifetime sub was tied to
>>> the machine thru an EPROM chip on the board, like Win XP OEM being tied
>>> to the Dell BIOS. So, I think you can replace drives without losing
>>> your lifetime sub. But, then again I'm fairly new at this.
>>>
>>> "Christopher Muto" <muto@worldnet.att.net> wrote in message

compusa has a hatachi 160gb drive for $59 after rebate through march 5th. it
costs $119.99 less a $60 rebate to be precise. it has a three year warranty
vs the one year warranty of the western digital drive from bestbuy.

"Pat Conover" <pat conover at comcast dot net> wrote in message
> Good points Chris. I see Circuit City and Best Buy have the WD JB drives
> on sale this week again and I guess I'll pick one up for a replacement
> and/or backup drive. Thanks, Pat
>
> "Christopher Muto" <muto@worldnet.att.net> wrote in message
>>i am certainly no tivo expert either... and i do think that there is some
>>hardware component that locks the lifetime subscription to the machine,
>>but i don't know for certain... but the catch is that you are not able to
>>run 'first time setup' if you have a drive failure and do not have a
>>backup of your drive image. the likely source of failure in these
>>machines are the power supply (easily replaceable) or the hard disk (which
>>can be replaced as discussed above). even if you don't replace the hard
>>disk you should consider at least making a back up the system image as
>>they (tivo) will not help you restore it should it stop working outside of
>>warranty. another common reason for these things to fail is if the modem
>>fails... and then it can no longer collect updates and that renders the
>>device pretty useless. from reading the tivo message board (on tivo's
>>site) it appears to have been a big problem on the older machines but not
>>so much of a problem on the new machines. none the less it motivated me
>>to get the wireless network connection going so that i could disconnect
>>the modem from the phone line and eliminate the possibility of the mode
>>being zapped... the life time thing really is a bit of a gamble... it
>>boils down to paying for two years up front in the hopes that it lasts
>>longer... and of course there is the risk of it not even lasting the first
>>two years... good luck.
>>
>> "Pat Conover" <pat conover at comcast dot net> wrote in message
>>> Thanks for the information Chris, I have a Dim 4550, with Nero 6 and
>>> MyDVD Deluxe for the TTG DVD burning, so I should be able to burn an ISO
>>> file to cd. I'm no expert, but I thought the lifetime sub was tied to
>>> the machine thru an EPROM chip on the board, like Win XP OEM being tied
>>> to the Dell BIOS. So, I think you can replace drives without losing
>>> your lifetime sub. But, then again I'm fairly new at this.
>>>
>>> "Christopher Muto" <muto@worldnet.att.net> wrote in message

well the box pictured in the advertisement says a three year warranty but
the product description says one year...

> compusa has a hatachi 160gb drive for $59 after rebate through march 5th.
> it costs $119.99 less a $60 rebate to be precise. it has a three year
> warranty vs the one year warranty of the western digital drive from
> bestbuy.
>
> "Pat Conover" <pat conover at comcast dot net> wrote in message
>> Good points Chris. I see Circuit City and Best Buy have the WD JB drives
>> on sale this week again and I guess I'll pick one up for a replacement
>> and/or backup drive. Thanks, Pat
>>
>> "Christopher Muto" <muto@worldnet.att.net> wrote in message
>>>i am certainly no tivo expert either... and i do think that there is some
>>>hardware component that locks the lifetime subscription to the machine,
>>>but i don't know for certain... but the catch is that you are not able to
>>>run 'first time setup' if you have a drive failure and do not have a
>>>backup of your drive image. the likely source of failure in these
>>>machines are the power supply (easily replaceable) or the hard disk
>>>(which can be replaced as discussed above). even if you don't replace
>>>the hard disk you should consider at least making a back up the system
>>>image as they (tivo) will not help you restore it should it stop working
>>>outside of warranty. another common reason for these things to fail is if
>>>the modem fails... and then it can no longer collect updates and that
>>>renders the device pretty useless. from reading the tivo message board
>>>(on tivo's site) it appears to have been a big problem on the older
>>>machines but not so much of a problem on the new machines. none the less
>>>it motivated me to get the wireless network connection going so that i
>>>could disconnect the modem from the phone line and eliminate the
>>>possibility of the mode being zapped... the life time thing really is a
>>>bit of a gamble... it boils down to paying for two years up front in the
>>>hopes that it lasts longer... and of course there is the risk of it not
>>>even lasting the first two years... good luck.
>>>
>>> "Pat Conover" <pat conover at comcast dot net> wrote in message

Chris, Already did the 30 second skip thing. I mostly use FF two times and
then Play, which seems to get me right back to the show. Circuit City also
has some WD JB drives on sale too. Any rebate problems with them? Staples
is the best for rebates, but I still do some of the Best Buy rebates and
haven't had any major problems. Yet! Thanks, Pat

> well the box pictured in the advertisement says a three year warranty but
> the product description says one year...
>
> "Christopher Muto" <muto@worldnet.att.net> wrote in message
>> compusa has a hatachi 160gb drive for $59 after rebate through march 5th.
>> it costs $119.99 less a $60 rebate to be precise. it has a three year
>> warranty vs the one year warranty of the western digital drive from
>> bestbuy.
>>
>> "Pat Conover" <pat conover at comcast dot net> wrote in message
>>> Good points Chris. I see Circuit City and Best Buy have the WD JB
>>> drives on sale this week again and I guess I'll pick one up for a
>>> replacement and/or backup drive. Thanks, Pat
>>>
>>> "Christopher Muto" <muto@worldnet.att.net> wrote in message

and i have to admit that yesterday, 3/2/05 i did receive my $27 bestbuy
memory rebate submitted 9/19/04... 5 months and 4 calls is pretty bad in my
opinion.... but at least it is a 800 number... and of course it is anecdotal
evidence... just my bund luck to have had so many problems with bestbuy
rebates. as for circuitcity, i have not had problems with their rebates....
but the 250gb wd drive for $129 after rebate is not a good a value as the
160gb hatachi for $59 from compusa... 160 is pretty big for a tivo providing
about 80 hours of medium quality recording (160 of the low quality, and 40
of the highest quality). you might want to wait until sunday to see what
deals are offered next week...

> Chris, Already did the 30 second skip thing. I mostly use FF two times
> and then Play, which seems to get me right back to the show. Circuit City
> also has some WD JB drives on sale too. Any rebate problems with them?
> Staples is the best for rebates, but I still do some of the Best Buy
> rebates and haven't had any major problems. Yet! Thanks, Pat
>
> "Christopher Muto" <muto@worldnet.att.net> wrote in message
>> well the box pictured in the advertisement says a three year warranty but
>> the product description says one year...
>>
>> "Christopher Muto" <muto@worldnet.att.net> wrote in message
>>> compusa has a hatachi 160gb drive for $59 after rebate through march
>>> 5th. it costs $119.99 less a $60 rebate to be precise. it has a three
>>> year warranty vs the one year warranty of the western digital drive from
>>> bestbuy.
>>>
>>> "Pat Conover" <pat conover at comcast dot net> wrote in message

Chris, Not to beat a dead horse, but will my new 540 series 2 TiVo take up
to a 250GB hard drive? How about my Dimension 4550? Thanks, Pat

> Chris, Not to beat a dead horse, but will my new 540 series 2 TiVo take up
> to a 250GB hard drive? How about my Dimension 4550? Thanks, Pat

Can't comment on the Tivo, but the 4550 absolutely will.

Tom