running win xp can't get desktop icons to show, tried everything, even right
clicking screen. Only way I can open a window is through task manager and
even then it won't let me run my virus program also is limited access to net.
Any suggestions?

Install XP to a new folder, and 'take ownership' of the old data, after reinstalling all apps.

HOW TO Take Ownership of a File or Folder in Windows XP: http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=KB;EN-US;Q308421

install XP to a new folder
run setup CD for XP, "New Instillation" from drop box) Put in Key, and choose the "Advanced Options" button to choose the folder,

--

Mark L. Ferguson (NOT an MS-MVP)
FAQ for MS Antispyware version 1.0.509