sanity_assassin

Distinguished
May 31, 2004
I read somewhere that ATI were going to release AGP versions of their new PCIx X-series cards. Can anyone confirm or deny this? I would be particularly interested in an AGP version of the X300.

Where did you read it? Because there's no point.

The AGP version of the X300 is the R9600SE. Of course it's not using 0.11 micron process, but that's not the performance sector issue, but a production benifit. There's no point to creating a bridge for such a cheap card to let it work on AGP, you'd blow alot of profit right there.

So, I wouldn't hold your breath waiting for them to make the X300 series AGP compatible.

- You need a licence to buy a gun, but they'll sell anyone a stamp <i>(or internet account)</i> ! - <font color=green>RED </font color=green> <font color=red> GREEN</font color=red> GA to SK :evil:

sanity_assassin

Distinguished
May 31, 2004
"Where did you read it? Because there's no point."

I'm sorry, I should've mentioned I need a 2x AGP part because I have a BX mobo. Of course the 9600SE is a 4x/8x AGP part so it's no good to me.

I found the article, it's at Anandtech: "ATI's 2004 Plans Unveiled: R420/423 Specs Inside." To quote at length:

"In order to accomplish a bridge-free roadmap, ATI has to have two versions of every GPU: a PCIe and an AGP version (or an AGP substiture). Keep this in mind as we look at the GPUs due out in '04 since you'll be seeing two per market segment, one AGP and one PCIe. It's also worth noting that all of ATI's GPUs will be available in both PCIe and AGP flavors throughout 2004."

Well then the FX5200/FX5600SE are your solutions. But even then a GF4ti would be far better.

The X300 is not the offering for AGP, and that's not what Anand is saying there either. X300 will be the offering for PCI-EX. For AGP, ati has already released the R9550, which is the AGP flavour that Anand is talking about. The R9550 and it's bastard children will satisfy that segment for the life of the AGP products.

There won't be a bridged X300 unles the cost of a bridge is less than the savings achieved from more chips per wafer.

It's also worth noting that ATI has VPUs not GPUs, but I'm sure Anand meant the same thing.

- You need a licence to buy a gun, but they'll sell anyone a stamp <i>(or internet account)</i> ! - <font color=green>RED </font color=green> <font color=red> GREEN</font color=red> GA to SK :evil:

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
I had some KILLER BX systems that were at least half as fast as a P4 2.8C...you could use any of the following cards:

Radeon 9500
Radeon 9800SE
GeForce4 Ti4200
Radeon 9500 Pro

And get great performance. There are some newer nVidia cards that support 2x as well, but I'm trying to get you the most bang for the buck here.

<font color=blue>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to a hero as big as Crashman!</font color=blue>
<font color=red>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to an ego as large as Crashman's!</font color=red>

sanity_assassin

Distinguished
May 31, 2004
@TheGreatGrapeApe:

Thanks for the advice but I also want a basic analog video editing solution and the Radeon ViVo's are highly regarded at videohelp.com, whereas the nVidia solutions get a real bagging there.

The intention of my post was merely to determine whether it might be worthwhile waiting for the new generation of cards but it looks like even the 9550 is not 2x AGP compliant.

sanity_assassin

Distinguished
May 31, 2004
@Crashman:

I'm quite pleased with my BX system. I've maxxed it out (without overclocking) with a Tualatin Celeron 3 1.4ghz cpu upgrade.

Since I'm on an embrassingly tight budget and yet I need analog video capture/output functionality, for now I've decided on the HIS 9200pro ViVo which is only AUD129 (~USD70). It should be an impressive upgrade over my current Matrox G200 8mb card.

I don't give a [-peep-] about games, I actually use my computer to do work! ;) I am interested in 3d animation however, so in a year or two if I spot a second-hand 9800pro going cheap, I'll probably go for one then. I guess they will be the fastest 2x AGP card ATI will ever make(?)

sanity_assassin

Distinguished
May 31, 2004
@hogfather:

I guess the 9550s are at least based on the 9600. I haven't found any reviews of these cards yet but if you look at some manufacturer's websites, like Asus for example, the 9550s are there, along with some specs. I was put off straight away, realising they didn't support 2x AGP and therefore wouldn't work on my aging (but graceful) BX platform.

ChipDeath

Splendid
May 16, 2002
:eek: :eek: :eek:
I actually use my computer to do work!
Quick! seek professional help, I think they might have a cure for this!

---
Epox 8RDA+ V1.1 w/ Custom NB HS
Summer's here! so ease off the overclock...
XP1700+ @166x12 (~2Ghz), 1.475 Vcore
2x256Mb Corsair PC3200LL 2-2-2-4
Sapphire 9800Pro 400/730

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
The 1100@1466 was faster than the 1400 in quite a few apps by a wide margin, but not all BX boards could be overclocked to 133MHz FSB, some that could didn't have clock generators to support the 1/4 PCI divider, and newer cards don't support the higher AGP clocks as well as those of the GeForce2 erra.

Sure, the 9800Pro would be the fastest card to work. I haven't seen any Pro PCBs revised without AGP 1.0 support (the 9800XT doesn't have AGP 1.0 support however).

I've heard that the latest 9800 Pros are using the R360 core of the XT...there's always the slim chance the R360 doesn't have AGP 1.0 support like the R350 (original 9800 Pro) core did. But I don't think they'd put them on dual-keyed cards if that were the case.

<font color=blue>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to a hero as big as Crashman!</font color=blue>
<font color=red>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to an ego as large as Crashman's!</font color=red>

Just one thing Dave Orton has announced that his previous statements about moving to all PCI-EX are bunk, so disgregard the above.

<A HREF="http://www.theinquirer.net/?article=16377" target="_new">http://www.theinquirer.net/?article=16377</A>

X300/600 will be made with AGP version with native support in the future. Bad move IMO, and actually favours the future of nV's GF6800 series now.

Oh well, it definitely benifits the slow to adopt consumer. As someone who wants PCI-EX now, I hate this idea because it slows adoption of the new standard.

If you're looking for a VIVO card, I'd recommend an R9800SE with VIVO or an AIW R9800SE. You could go with the R9000/9100/9200 versions but their 3D performance is terrible in comparison. IF it's only for basic 3D and 2D and video, then the R9000/9100/9200 with vivo or the All-in-Wonder versions should be perfect for the job.

sanity_assassin

Distinguished
May 31, 2004
This is just the sort of information I was after; some indication that I should hold off buying a 9200 in favour of a forthcoming successor that can squeeze more value out of my poultry few graphics upgrade dollars.

My concern is that I don't want to miss out on the 9200 if the agp version of the x300 doesn't support 2x/3.3v. I fear the trend at ATI, with the 9600 leading the way, is to abandon 2x agp in favour of a 4x/8x-only agp interface. Anyone with more information about an agp version of the X300, please help.
<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by sanity_assassin on 06/07/04 03:09 AM.</EM></FONT></P>

sanity_assassin

Distinguished
May 31, 2004
Thanks to all who helped.

If anyone's interested, I bought the 9200pro vivo a few days ago, and did so on the assumption that the x300 will not be available with a 2x/3.3v agp interface. I based that assumption on the two latest agp releases from ATi, the 9600 and 9550, which only support agp 4x/8x. This trend suggests that the company is abandoning 2x agp support altogether.

Considering I only have a 1.4Ghz system and don't care about 3d gaming, I think I'll be very happy with 9200. So far it's been great and the price was certainly right! It has even inspired me to buy a second 17" monitor to make the most of the card's dual-head feature. In my experience, increasing screen real-estate is a powerful but often overlooked method of enhancing productivity. I have found it greatly improves the user interface, especially that of palette or timeline based applications, making computing more efficient and enjoyable.

Cheers.