SIS PORT Driver problem after Windows Update

WinXP Home SP2, Pack Bell laptop. After Windows Update (KB890830, KB893086,
KB893066, KB890923, KB890859 and Microsoft Windows Installer 3.1), an alert
is now given at boot which says 'The requested control is not valid for this
service' and the Found New Hardware dialogue box opens and tries to update
the SIS PORT Driver from software installation disk (which I don't have), or
from Windows Update (which doesn't find any relevant drivers). I have tried
to rollback the drivers for this device but there are none and it shows none
at all installed. I have disabled it from the Device Manager and now do not
get the alert but what is the SIS PORT Driver and do I need it. Thanks.

--
Regards
6 answers Last reply

    Hi Hem,

    Thanks for posting here.

    Based on my search, SiS is a computer motherboard chip-set manufacture. It
    is possible that either the driver for the Ports don't support these
    updates, or it was disabled or damaged, or that you connected to a
    previously unused USB or serial port.

    Right click on your My Computer icon.
    Select Properties.
    Click on the Hardware.
    Click on Device Manager button.
    Look for Yellow "?" or "!".
    Either means that you do have a device driver problem.

    There is a tutorial on installing device drivers, and links to most
    manufactures web sites at www.driverguide.com.
    You can either download the latest driver from the computer manufactures
    web site, or get the driver from SiS.

    To assure that you get the correct driver from SiS, you will need to
    identify the specific chip-set on your motherboard.

    I have searched and found the following Sis Drievers download websites:

    FIC Technical Support: SiS Drivers for FIC Motherboards
    http://www.fic.com.tw/support/motherboard/doc/driver_sis.aspx

    SiS Driver Download
    http://www.jetway.com.tw/evisn/download/driver/index-2.htm

    HTH!

    Thanks & Regards

    Amanda Wang [MSFT]

    Microsoft Online Partner Support

    --------------------

    Hem wrote:
    > WinXP Home SP2, Pack Bell laptop. After Windows Update (KB890830,
    KB893086,
    > KB893066, KB890923, KB890859 and Microsoft Windows Installer 3.1), an
    alert
    > is now given at boot which says 'The requested control is not valid
    for this
    > service' and the Found New Hardware dialogue box opens and tries to
    update
    > the SIS PORT Driver from software installation disk (which I don't
    have), or
    > from Windows Update (which doesn't find any relevant drivers). I have
    tried
    > to rollback the drivers for this device but there are none and it
    shows none
    > at all installed. I have disabled it from the Device Manager and now
    do not
    > get the alert but what is the SIS PORT Driver and do I need it.
    Thanks.

    > --
    > Regards

    Hello

    Can I ask if you ever got this problem sorted please?

    I also have a packard bell laptop and since installing a Windows update
    recently I have exactly the same problem that you have (or had).

    I'm not really sure how to go about identifying which driver is the
    cause of the problem, so I don;t know which one I should try to update.

    Many thanks,

    Kevin.

    I, too, have the same problem. Have disabled both SIS PORT Driver &
    Performance Logs & Alerts. But is this the correct remedy ? Does it have any
    repercussions ???
    An anxious XP user (Professional version)
    Mallan

    Mallan wrote:
    > I, too, have the same problem. Have disabled both SIS PORT Driver &
    > Performance Logs & Alerts. But is this the correct remedy ? Does it have any
    > repercussions ???
    > An anxious XP user (Professional version)
    > Mallan
    >
    > "Hem" wrote:
    >

    >>WinXP Home SP2, Pack Bell laptop. After Windows Update (KB890830, KB893086,
    >>KB893066, KB890923, KB890859 and Microsoft Windows Installer 3.1), an alert
    >>is now given at boot which says 'The requested control is not valid for this
    >>service' and the Found New Hardware dialogue box opens and tries to update
    >>the SIS PORT Driver from software installation disk (which I don't have), or
    >>from Windows Update (which doesn't find any relevant drivers). I have tried
    >>to rollback the drivers for this device but there are none and it shows none
    >>at all installed. I have disabled it from the Device Manager and now do not
    >>get the alert but what is the SIS PORT Driver and do I need it. Thanks.
    >>

    >>--
    >>Regards

    I, too, would love to know the real answer to this one.
    A client has a new ASUS A4 laptop which has started looking for new
    hardware and not finding the drivers. In Device Manager there were two
    unknown devices, "SIS Port Driver" and "SIS netgroup packet driver", to
    start with, but now there is a third, "MMIOPORT". There is also an error
    that comes up a few minutes later "The requested control is not valid
    for this service." then a red X and "ControlService".

    I have pointed XP to SIS dvrs, downloaded and run a dvr update but it
    made no difference. To get around the problem I disabled the three
    errant devices. Everything seems to work fine.

    Anyone know what causes this to just start happening (KB890859??)and a
    more elegant way of fixing it?

    I am also having this problem..

    I first noticed something when I closed down my PC, it said:
    -"Ending Program, Please Wait"- -"Sentinel VXD"-

    I decided / discovered it was to do with my Panda Antivirus.. So I
    simply uninstalled it and got a new one.

    Then a few weeks later when I turned the PC on it said: -"Found New
    Hardware: portio"- and could not find any suitable drivers. I decided
    to ignore and disable it.

    Then about 1 week on I got the -"Found New Hardware"- again, this time
    for: -"SIS PORT Driver"- I tried researching it and found that it might
    have something to do with a VXD.. like the panda thing?

    I also sometimes get a message at boot-up:
    -"The requested control is not valid for this service"-

    I've tried the SiS website.. but seeing as my only description is:
    -"SIS PORT Driver"- and -"portio"-, I don't know what I am looking
    for.
    -(and I don't know any of my motherboard specs or anything.. it's a
    family PC)-

    Well I have no idea what is going on.. it doesnt seem to be effecting
    any PC performance or anything.

    It would be helpful if someone could help me out..
    I'm fairly good at Computers but this one puzzles me.

    --
    RonanWheelerPosted from http://www.pcreview.co.uk/ newsgroup access

Sis Windows Update Microsoft Windows XP