TECH: Atari Super Sprint, Replace PS, Blowing Fuses

Brad

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

I just replaced the 5v power supply in my Atari Super Sprint. Been
getting a rolling interference in the video (3 hum bars horizontally
rolling, very annoying and getting worse) and it was suggested to me I
am to replace the power supply.

So, I got a new 5v power supply, reconnected the 4 wires properly
(though the 2 connections it's pretty tough getting 3 red and 3 grey
wires under one small screw, I assume I did that right. Now as soon as
I turn it on, the 250v 3a slow blow fuse on the lower left is
immediately blowing with a brillant flash. Blew the first and the
fresh one I just put in.

So, can anyone help me? Did I miss something obvious? I am not a pro
at this but I can at least handle simple wiring.

Thanks for any ideas.

Brad

Brad

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

Well I solved my own problem, but I have some news ones (I just had the
wires totally in the opposite spots they should be).

First off, well, I guess the advice I got on the power supply was
wrong. Fresh 5v power supply and the machine is still behaving the
same it was with the other supply.

Maybe there's another power supply in there that they were referring
to. I notice that the unit that looks similar to the 5v power supply,
and is mounted just below it in the cabinet, is making a very loud
hissing sound. I can hear it across. the room. Could this be the
cause of the interference I'm seeing?

The machine gameplay is fine, but the monitor still jiggles up and down
and has 2 very large horizonal rolling black bars moving up the video
constantly.

I have no idea what to do next. The shop I brought the monitor into a
year ago said it worked fine in there, so I am assuming it's something
inside the game, and not the monitor itself, that's causing these
problems.

HELP!!!

Brad

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

Also, a new problem. Is it possible the new 5v power supply isn't
playing well with the old system's on-off switch? It now no longer
functions. The game is always on when plugged in. Ugh.

Video of the original (remaining) problem here: (8 mb mpg)

http:///www.newsaskew.com/a/ss.mpg

Brad

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

More updates!

The box below the power supply is a line transformer for the monitor,
I'm told. Could it be the culprit?

Yet... The tech I sent these screenshots to told me he never saw
anything like this before though. Anyone else?

I'll buy the new transformer if someone thinks it'll fix this:

http://www.newsaskew.com/a/ss1.jpg
http://www.newsaskew.com/a/ss2.jpg