Cable Router Problems

mon

Distinguished
Mar 22, 2002
Never done networks before, so anyway....
I bought a Netgear RP114 as a cable router. I want to share internet connection with 2 PCs.
PC#1 - AMD 1.4 Ghz, Win XP
PC#2 - P200, Win 95

I bought an Ethernet Card for the P200 (FA311) and installed it. Plugged cable into router, plugged ethernet cables from card to router.

Now the AMD 1.4 Ghz, running XP, worked fine. Online access and everything. The P200, however, wasn't so nice. I installed, like the manual says...

PCI Adapter (network card)
Client for Microsoft Networks
TCP/IP

TCP/IP settings:
"Obtain an IP addresss automatically"

Rebooted, disconnected and reconnected cable.
Tried to go online, AMD worked fine, P200 just gave me the no DNS error. Also, when I run winipcfg I get the error saying IP cannot be configured.

Any ideas? Should I have certain settings in TCP/IP. I know the network is hooked up correctly. When using the net for PC#1 (AMD), the lnk/act light blinks meaning it is using the cable. When I start Internet Explorer in the P200, the light for PC#2 blinks for a few seconds, like it is working... and then just remains on (saying it is linked to the cable). So I most likely am sure the problem is in the settings.

Cstew77

Distinguished
Feb 22, 2002
If the upgrade from 95 isn't an option (although it would hurt to try if you can do it) I would make sure your network setting are identical to your AMD box.

That's the only thing I can think of...

jihiggs

Splendid
Oct 11, 2001
your not getting an ip address for some reason, your never going to get anywhere without one. type this at a command prompt: ipconfig /release_all
then this: ipconfig /renew_all if this works you should get an ip, if it doesnt work let us know the exact error message, infact post the entire message it puts out in the command prompt.

i went to the tomshardware forums and all i got was this lousy signature.