C600 laptop - BIOS universal password

I recently bought this laptop from a friend and found that the BIOS has a
password. My friend doesn't know what the password is at it was his son who
dealt with all the IT stuff. His is on holiday for several months (cruise
trip).

Does anyone know if there is a way to reset the BIOS password?

Fixer

Distinguished
Jun 2, 2004

You Cant, unless you have the proof of ownership documentation and TAG
number then you can contact Dell and they will give you and access code
"Malvin" <pa_pa_returns@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>I recently bought this laptop from a friend and found that the BIOS has a
>password. My friend doesn't know what the password is at it was his son who
>dealt with all the IT stuff. His is on holiday for several months (cruise
>trip).
>
> Does anyone know if there is a way to reset the BIOS password?

isn't there some kinda jumper that will reset the BIOS?

"Fixer" <steve@kelly90.wanadoo.co.uk> wrote in message
> You Cant, unless you have the proof of ownership documentation and TAG
> number then you can contact Dell and they will give you and access code
> "Malvin" <pa_pa_returns@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>>I recently bought this laptop from a friend and found that the BIOS has a
>>password. My friend doesn't know what the password is at it was his son
>>who dealt with all the IT stuff. His is on holiday for several months
>>(cruise trip).
>>
>> Does anyone know if there is a way to reset the BIOS password?

you mean like the bright orange jumpers worn by the guys in the county
prison? ;)
call your friends son, or dell.

> isn't there some kinda jumper that will reset the BIOS?
>
> "Fixer" <steve@kelly90.wanadoo.co.uk> wrote in message
>> You Cant, unless you have the proof of ownership documentation and TAG
>> number then you can contact Dell and they will give you and access code
>> "Malvin" <pa_pa_returns@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>>>I recently bought this laptop from a friend and found that the BIOS has a
>>>password. My friend doesn't know what the password is at it was his son
>>>who dealt with all the IT stuff. His is on holiday for several months
>>>(cruise trip).
>>>
>>> Does anyone know if there is a way to reset the BIOS password?

Fixer

Distinguished
Jun 2, 2004

NO!!!!
"Malvin" <pa_pa_returns@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> isn't there some kinda jumper that will reset the BIOS?
>
> "Fixer" <steve@kelly90.wanadoo.co.uk> wrote in message
>> You Cant, unless you have the proof of ownership documentation and TAG
>> number then you can contact Dell and they will give you and access code
>> "Malvin" <pa_pa_returns@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>>>I recently bought this laptop from a friend and found that the BIOS has a
>>>password. My friend doesn't know what the password is at it was his son
>>>who dealt with all the IT stuff. His is on holiday for several months
>>>(cruise trip).
>>>
>>> Does anyone know if there is a way to reset the BIOS password?

there is a special clk / or / clock jumper that may even be marked
"reset" or "rst" -- regardless, there's a jumper on the motherboard,
usually near either the battery or the power supply: Unplug power
cord, move the jumper to a different setting, unplug power cord and
turn on (with mixed results... you *should* get something or possibly
nothing at all) -- unplug power cord, reset jumper switch, plug in
power cord, off you go.\

http://personalpages.tds.net/~rcsilk for rates
http://dicksilk.chatango.com for live chat
--

"Malvin" <pa_pa_returns@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>I recently bought this laptop from a friend and found that the BIOS
>has a password. My friend doesn't know what the password is at it was
>his son who dealt with all the IT stuff. His is on holiday for
>several months (cruise trip).
>
> Does anyone know if there is a way to reset the BIOS password?

Of course, assuming the board is not HOT (stolen) you should be able
to call Dell or check their knowledge bases on how to reset an exact
model by entering the service tag#.

http://personalpages.tds.net/~rcsilk for rates
http://dicksilk.chatango.com for live chat
--

"Malvin" <pa_pa_returns@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>I recently bought this laptop from a friend and found that the BIOS
>has a password. My friend doesn't know what the password is at it was
>his son who dealt with all the IT stuff. His is on holiday for
>several months (cruise trip).
>
> Does anyone know if there is a way to reset the BIOS password?

Not on any Dell laptop I've ever seen.

"Dick Silk - The Computer Tutor" <dicksilk@antispam.gov> wrote in message
> there is a special clk / or / clock jumper that may even be marked "reset"
> or "rst" -- regardless, there's a jumper on the motherboard, usually near
> either the battery or the power supply: Unplug power cord, move the
> jumper to a different setting, unplug power cord and turn on (with mixed
> results... you *should* get something or possibly nothing at all) --
> unplug power cord, reset jumper switch, plug in power cord, off you go.\

> http://personalpages.tds.net/~rcsilk for rates
> http://dicksilk.chatango.com for live chat
> --
>
> "Malvin" <pa_pa_returns@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>>I recently bought this laptop from a friend and found that the BIOS has a
>>password. My friend doesn't know what the password is at it was his son
>>who dealt with all the IT stuff. His is on holiday for several months
>>(cruise trip).
>>
>> Does anyone know if there is a way to reset the BIOS password?

No. You need to contact Dell, prove ownership, and they'll supply you
with a machine-specific backdoor password, or you'll need to find the
password from the registered owner. Otherwise, you've got a paperweight.

Malvin wrote:
> isn't there some kinda jumper that will reset the BIOS?

duh! <shoots self in the head> "LAP"top... my bad.
I used to have one around for the Latitude series...
<searching> nope... sorry, looks like I've misplaced or trashed that
note...
On desktops, there used to be a "secondary method", whereby you pull
the CMOS chip off the board, wait 5 minutes, put it back in, and by
that time the chip has lost its password memory (and all other
settings as well). Don't know if you can do this with a laptop or
not. Suppose it depends upon the brand / construction method used.

> Not on any Dell laptop I've ever seen.
>

> "Dick Silk - The Computer Tutor" <dicksilk@antispam.gov> wrote in
> message news:4215902d$1_3@newspeer2.tds.net...
>> there is a special clk / or / clock jumper that may even be marked
>> "reset" or "rst" -- regardless, there's a jumper on the
>> motherboard, usually near either the battery or the power supply:
>> Unplug power cord, move the jumper to a different setting, unplug
>> power cord and turn on (with mixed results... you *should* get
>> something or possibly nothing at all) -- unplug power cord, reset
>> jumper switch, plug in power cord, off you go.\

You guys are making life to difficult. Just remove the battery. Not just the
main battery but the "reserve battery"(atleast that's what Dell calls it).
The manual is available from the Dell web site, but just incase here's the
info. remove the hard drive, then remove the memory. Now you can gat to the
battery. remove it and the bios will reset just like all computers out
there. Once done, put the batteries back and reset the bios information-try
the defaults first and customize later.

BTW I assume this is a legit situation. If its stolen, forget everything and
burn in hell. Otherwise have a nice day.

"Malvin" <pa_pa_returns@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>I recently bought this laptop from a friend and found that the BIOS has a
>password. My friend doesn't know what the password is at it was his son who
>dealt with all the IT stuff. His is on holiday for several months (cruise
>trip).
>
> Does anyone know if there is a way to reset the BIOS password?

The password is in EEProm. You can take the battery out through you and
your children's lifetime and it won't erase the password.

Tom
"Jeff B" <JBlank@warwick.net> wrote in message
> You guys are making life to difficult. Just remove the battery. Not just
> the main battery but the "reserve battery"(atleast that's what Dell calls
> it). The manual is available from the Dell web site, but just incase
> here's the info. remove the hard drive, then remove the memory. Now you
> can gat to the battery. remove it and the bios will reset just like all
> computers out there. Once done, put the batteries back and reset the bios
> information-try the defaults first and customize later.
>
> BTW I assume this is a legit situation. If its stolen, forget everything
> and burn in hell. Otherwise have a nice day.
>

> "Malvin" <pa_pa_returns@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>>I recently bought this laptop from a friend and found that the BIOS has a
>>password. My friend doesn't know what the password is at it was his son
>>who dealt with all the IT stuff. His is on holiday for several months
>>(cruise trip).
>>
>> Does anyone know if there is a way to reset the BIOS password?

Fixer

Distinguished
Jun 2, 2004

Never in a million years will this work if it does I'll show my bare arse in
burtons Shop window
"Jeff B" <JBlank@warwick.net> wrote in message
> You guys are making life to difficult. Just remove the battery. Not just
> the main battery but the "reserve battery"(atleast that's what Dell calls
> it). The manual is available from the Dell web site, but just incase
> here's the info. remove the hard drive, then remove the memory. Now you
> can gat to the battery. remove it and the bios will reset just like all
> computers out there. Once done, put the batteries back and reset the bios
> information-try the defaults first and customize later.
>
> BTW I assume this is a legit situation. If its stolen, forget everything
> and burn in hell. Otherwise have a nice day.
>

> "Malvin" <pa_pa_returns@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>>I recently bought this laptop from a friend and found that the BIOS has a
>>password. My friend doesn't know what the password is at it was his son
>>who dealt with all the IT stuff. His is on holiday for several months
>>(cruise trip).
>>
>> Does anyone know if there is a way to reset the BIOS password?

austinpctech

I just successfuly cleared the BIOS password on a C600 despite all the bad information floating around on the net.

This is what worked.

First watch the video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5JqB4lkVxkA

Despite the fact that is video claims it's about a C600 specifically you will figure out real quick it is not. Rather it's an older Latitude than the C600. Regardless his basic information is good.

The trick is that the chip you are looking for is hiding under the plastic insulating material under the PCMCIA socket. Also he makes reference to putting a jumper on a chip marked with 24C02. The chip I found on my C600 was a 24C04 instead.

Good luck and don't waste your time with the CMOS battery or anything else others say on the net because they don't work.