Can't save chnages to BIOS settings

April 28, 2005 5:17:42 PM

Since performing a windows update I can't boot up my computer. It simply gets
to the Windows XP black screen with flashing bar, before stopping and
rebooting. I have tried replacing the battery on the motherboard, and
although I was able to save the date & time I can't save any other changes -
such as changing the boot up to go from CD first...

I can access BIOS I can access start options such as start in safe mode etc,
but nothing works - I really need to be able to start up from the CD - to
hopefully reinstall the base software????

I tried putting an old harddrive I had before back in - that starts up fine
- although again I can't save any BIOS changes??

I was able to get into C:/ prompt and running a DIR command showed that he
directory listing seemed ok??

Please - any help gratefully recieved I have one major important file on the
drive I need to get off...
Anonymous
April 28, 2005 6:52:03 PM

Thats one thing you didnt do properly,when replacing a battery,with machine
un-plugged,clear the CMOS,move its on board pin from 1-2 to 2-3 for 1 minute
or so,then move it back to 1-2 setting,replace battery,plug in start
computer.
You should auto be prompted to enter BIOS and reconfigure.In youre case,at
this point set date,time,go to exit page,select "Load set up defaults" or
"Load
optimize Settings" after,go into BIOS and adjust for any add-on cards
installed,
then save and exit BIOS.

"Jon Iles" wrote:

> Since performing a windows update I can't boot up my computer. It simply gets
> to the Windows XP black screen with flashing bar, before stopping and
> rebooting. I have tried replacing the battery on the motherboard, and
> although I was able to save the date & time I can't save any other changes -
> such as changing the boot up to go from CD first...
>
> I can access BIOS I can access start options such as start in safe mode etc,
> but nothing works - I really need to be able to start up from the CD - to
> hopefully reinstall the base software????
>
> I tried putting an old harddrive I had before back in - that starts up fine
> - although again I can't save any BIOS changes??
>
> I was able to get into C:/ prompt and running a DIR command showed that he
> directory listing seemed ok??
>
> Please - any help gratefully recieved I have one major important file on the
> drive I need to get off...
Anonymous
April 28, 2005 8:02:04 PM

I have a similar problem since the XP/SP2 update on my HP Pavilion.

At startup I would get 'operating system not found'. I've had to f2 at the
black screen into BIOS and try to set BOOT parameters, used f10 to save and
restart, but nothing was ever saved. I noticed that the sequencial list of
where to look first (for the OS, mine is on hard drive) OFTEN did not have a
device listed under Hard drive, and OCCASIONALLY it did! When there WAS a
device listed I could restart and it would go right into Windows per usual. I
may have turned the thing on and off a half dozen times before the Hard drive
"magically" appeared on the list.

Now, somewhere I found a desciption of this problem in MS suppot and
downloaded the fix. It worked the next few times then screwed up again, so
now I just don't dare turn off my computer!
The fix description mentioned something about BIOS not being compatable with
?SP2 / chip? on a small number of computers, and would upgrade BIOS. It might
work for you, of course you have to find some way to start Windows before you
can download! (Sorry I can't recall the name of the download.)

THIS SEEMS TO BE A COMMON PROBLEM AFTER SP2, but someone with more expertise
than I have may be able to better determine the problem - and solution.
I was just curious... could this be someting similar or related to your
problem?
-- Hop Sing! Where are my specticles? --
Gregory McCairn Corbin II

"Jon Iles" wrote:

> Since performing a windows update I can't boot up my computer. It simply gets
> to the Windows XP black screen with flashing bar, before stopping and
> rebooting. I have tried replacing the battery on the motherboard, and
> although I was able to save the date & time I can't save any other changes -
> such as changing the boot up to go from CD first...
>
> I can access BIOS I can access start options such as start in safe mode etc,
> but nothing works - I really need to be able to start up from the CD - to
> hopefully reinstall the base software????
>
> I tried putting an old harddrive I had before back in - that starts up fine
> - although again I can't save any BIOS changes??
>
> I was able to get into C:/ prompt and running a DIR command showed that he
> directory listing seemed ok??
>
> Please - any help gratefully recieved I have one major important file on the
> drive I need to get off...
April 28, 2005 8:49:24 PM

Hi, Jon.

Since computers vary so much in how they let us get into the BIOS, we can't
do anything but guess unless you tell us the make and model of your
computer - or of your motherboard, if you built it yourself.

RC
--
R. C. White, CPA
San Marcos, TX

"Jon Iles" <Jon Iles@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Since performing a windows update I can't boot up my computer. It simply
> gets
> to the Windows XP black screen with flashing bar, before stopping and
> rebooting. I have tried replacing the battery on the motherboard, and
> although I was able to save the date & time I can't save any other
> changes -
> such as changing the boot up to go from CD first...
>
> I can access BIOS I can access start options such as start in safe mode
> etc,
> but nothing works - I really need to be able to start up from the CD - to
> hopefully reinstall the base software????
>
> I tried putting an old harddrive I had before back in - that starts up
> fine
> - although again I can't save any BIOS changes??
>
> I was able to get into C:/ prompt and running a DIR command showed that he
> directory listing seemed ok??
>
> Please - any help gratefully recieved I have one major important file on
> the
> drive I need to get off...
April 29, 2005 12:50:39 AM

"Jon Iles" <Jon Iles@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Since performing a windows update I can't boot up my computer. It simply
gets
> to the Windows XP black screen with flashing bar, before stopping and
> rebooting. I have tried replacing the battery on the motherboard, and
> although I was able to save the date & time I can't save any other
changes -
> such as changing the boot up to go from CD first...
>
> I can access BIOS I can access start options such as start in safe mode
etc,
> but nothing works - I really need to be able to start up from the CD - to
> hopefully reinstall the base software????
>
> I tried putting an old harddrive I had before back in - that starts up
fine
> - although again I can't save any BIOS changes??
Many motherboards have a jumper which disables writing to the BIOS.
Perhaps yours does.
Jim
!