wd caviar 200 gb problem

I have a brand new WD Caviar 200gb hard drive that i picked up at the Cogan
Computer fair this past weekend . I installed on my PC & went to the bios &
it read 200 gb . I put in my Windows Xp Cd & booted up to start installing
windows xp. when i was getting ready to format i noticed that my hardrive
was not even close to what i saw in the bios. It read only 131 gb ...so mad
as all hell i rebooted again went to the bios .....it read 200gb.....went
foward with the xp installation ..again 131 gb....so i finished installing
Windows & got all the updates (service pack 2). Opened up my computer icon
check the harddrive space & it reads 126 gb. Can anybody tell me why i'm
not getting a full reading of my hardisk? My Dads 200 gb reads 189gb....so
his is ok.

Set the system BIOS to auto detect the drive with LBA mode enabled.
Make sure to install Service Pack 2.

How to enable 48-bit Logical Block Addressing support for ATAPI disk drives in Windows XP
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;303013

--
Carey Frisch
Microsoft MVP

"Bruce Banner" wrote:

| I have a brand new WD Caviar 200gb hard drive that i picked up at the Cogan
| Computer fair this past weekend . I installed on my PC & went to the bios &
| it read 200 gb . I put in my Windows Xp Cd & booted up to start installing
| windows xp. when i was getting ready to format i noticed that my hardrive
| was not even close to what i saw in the bios. It read only 131 gb ...so mad
| as all hell i rebooted again went to the bios .....it read 200gb.....went
| foward with the xp installation ..again 131 gb....so i finished installing
| Windows & got all the updates (service pack 2). Opened up my computer icon
| check the harddrive space & it reads 126 gb. Can anybody tell me why i'm
| not getting a full reading of my hardisk? My Dads 200 gb reads 189gb....so
| his is ok.

Bruce, rt click on MyComputer>select Manage>Disk Management. See if the
rest of the drive shows up there. If yes, you
can partition and format .
"Bruce Banner" <skinnyjoe1973@yahoo.com> wrote in message
>I have a brand new WD Caviar 200gb hard drive that i picked up at the Cogan
>Computer fair this past weekend . I installed on my PC & went to the bios &
>it read 200 gb . I put in my Windows Xp Cd & booted up to start installing
>windows xp. when i was getting ready to format i noticed that my hardrive
>was not even close to what i saw in the bios. It read only 131 gb ...so
>mad as all hell i rebooted again went to the bios .....it read
>200gb.....went foward with the xp installation ..again 131 gb....so i
>finished installing Windows & got all the updates (service pack 2). Opened
>up my computer icon check the harddrive space & it reads 126 gb. Can
>anybody tell me why i'm not getting a full reading of my hardisk? My Dads
>200 gb reads 189gb....so his is ok.

Hey Rich ......thanks a million....it worked.....you don't know how happy i
am. 58.3 gb is a lot of hardisk space thats was missing. I truly
appreciate your time & effort in helping me out. Again "Thanks A Million"
"Rich Barry" <rbarryNot@socal.rr.com> wrote in message
> Bruce, rt click on MyComputer>select Manage>Disk Management. See if the
> rest of the drive shows up there. If yes, you
> can partition and format .
> "Bruce Banner" <skinnyjoe1973@yahoo.com> wrote in message
>>I have a brand new WD Caviar 200gb hard drive that i picked up at the
>>Cogan Computer fair this past weekend . I installed on my PC & went to the
>>bios & it read 200 gb . I put in my Windows Xp Cd & booted up to start
>>installing windows xp. when i was getting ready to format i noticed that
>>my hardrive was not even close to what i saw in the bios. It read only
>>131 gb ...so mad as all hell i rebooted again went to the bios .....it
>>read 200gb.....went foward with the xp installation ..again 131 gb....so i
>>finished installing Windows & got all the updates (service pack 2). Opened
>>up my computer icon check the harddrive space & it reads 126 gb. Can
>>anybody tell me why i'm not getting a full reading of my hardisk? My Dads
>>200 gb reads 189gb....so his is ok.

Bruce, the reason XP did not see the full 200G was that it had a limit of
137G until you updated to SP1 or SP2. So during
the Install it only recognized the 131G. Once you got it going and added
the Updates the rest of the drive became
available but was still unusable because it needed partitioning and
formatting . WD has a Install Program
to overcome this but you are better off not using it. Glad I was able to
help.