how much RAM?

Dimension 3000 P4 533 FSB 2.8 GHz with XP Home.

Is 512MB enough? I'd be doing just general stuff, no games - maybe PhotoShop
once in a while. Doing a Java compile run should presumably be no problem
memory-wise, but when writing code I might have a dozen or more windows open,
including several browser windows.

I ordered 512MB, but I had also previously bought 512MB of PNY PC2700, which
I'm thinking of returning. Is there any reason for me to keep and install the
extra 512MB? I have to decide by today.

How much RAM would XP Home take up by itself? I'm used to running with no
virtual memory, with ~400MB on my old computer and '98.

Also, from what I've learned on this group, PC2700 would be the correct RAM
for the P4 533FSB cpu, right?

Thanks.
8 answers Last reply
More about tomshardware

    "Al" <none@no.com> wrote in message
    > Dimension 3000 P4 533 FSB 2.8 GHz with XP Home.
    >
    > Is 512MB enough? I'd be doing just general stuff, no games - maybe
    > PhotoShop
    > once in a while. Doing a Java compile run should presumably be no problem
    > memory-wise, but when writing code I might have a dozen or more windows
    > open,
    > including several browser windows.
    >
    > I ordered 512MB, but I had also previously bought 512MB of PNY PC2700,
    > which
    > I'm thinking of returning. Is there any reason for me to keep and install
    > the
    > extra 512MB? I have to decide by today.
    >
    > How much RAM would XP Home take up by itself? I'm used to running with no
    > virtual memory, with ~400MB on my old computer and '98.
    >
    > Also, from what I've learned on this group, PC2700 would be the correct
    > RAM
    > for the P4 533FSB cpu, right?
    >
    > Thanks.

    Will you even have memory slots open? How many does the 3000 have? If
    there are only two and your getting the free 512 upgrade Dell will give you
    two 256's unless you pay for upgrade for a single 512. This is not an issue
    if there are four slots to start with.

    On Thu, 17 Feb 2005 18:02:59 GMT, none@no.com (Al) wrote:

    >Dimension 3000 P4 533 FSB 2.8 GHz with XP Home.
    >
    >I ordered 512MB

    which is:

    FREE UPGRADE 512MB Dual Channel 400MHz
    DDR SDRAM

    Now I'm not sure if my PNY 512MB PC2700 184-pin DDR Memory
    is even compatible:
    http://www.staples.com/Catalog/Browse/sku.asp?sku=522149&PageType=1

    If it has to go back today - send it back and try the computer for a while
    with 512 and see how it performs.

    "Markyt" <mhoweytnot@hotmail.com> wrote in message

    > "Al" <none@no.com> wrote in message
    >> Dimension 3000 P4 533 FSB 2.8 GHz with XP Home.
    >>
    >> Is 512MB enough? I'd be doing just general stuff, no games - maybe
    >> PhotoShop
    >> once in a while. Doing a Java compile run should presumably be no problem
    >> memory-wise, but when writing code I might have a dozen or more windows
    >> open,
    >> including several browser windows.
    >>
    >> I ordered 512MB, but I had also previously bought 512MB of PNY PC2700,
    >> which
    >> I'm thinking of returning. Is there any reason for me to keep and install
    >> the
    >> extra 512MB? I have to decide by today.
    >>
    >> How much RAM would XP Home take up by itself? I'm used to running with no
    >> virtual memory, with ~400MB on my old computer and '98.
    >>
    >> Also, from what I've learned on this group, PC2700 would be the correct
    >> RAM
    >> for the P4 533FSB cpu, right?
    >>
    >> Thanks.
    >
    > Will you even have memory slots open? How many does the 3000 have?

    <snip>

    The 3000 has only 2 sockets.

    Stew

    "Al" <none@no.com> wrote in message
    > On Thu, 17 Feb 2005 18:02:59 GMT, none@no.com (Al) wrote:
    >
    >>Dimension 3000 P4 533 FSB 2.8 GHz with XP Home.
    >>
    >>I ordered 512MB
    >
    > which is:
    >
    > FREE UPGRADE 512MB Dual Channel 400MHz
    > DDR SDRAM

    I am using one with that upgrade and haven't run out of memory yet,
    even with 3 or 4 large AutoCAD drawings loaded.

    Tom J

    On Thu, 17 Feb 2005 16:46:06 -0500, "Markyt" <mhoweytnot@hotmail.com> wrote:

    >Will you even have memory slots open? How many does the 3000 have? If
    >there are only two and your getting the free 512 upgrade Dell will give you
    >two 256's unless you pay for upgrade for a single 512. This is not an issue
    >if there are four slots to start with.

    what Joe and Tom said was convincving, but this is the clincher right here. I
    just called and arranged the return. Too bad, it was 512MB of PNY PC2700 for
    $50, a good deal at Staples.

    Al <none@no.com> wrote:
    > On Thu, 17 Feb 2005 16:46:06 -0500, "Markyt" <mhoweytnot@hotmail.com> wrote:

    >>Will you even have memory slots open? How many does the 3000 have? If
    >>there are only two and your getting the free 512 upgrade Dell will give you
    >>two 256's unless you pay for upgrade for a single 512. This is not an issue
    >>if there are four slots to start with.

    > what Joe and Tom said was convincving, but this is the clincher right here. I
    > just called and arranged the return. Too bad, it was 512MB of PNY PC2700 for
    > $50, a good deal at Staples.

    Yeah, it is a pretty good deal. But I'd personally never use any brand
    besides Crucial or Corsair.

    I think you did right returning it. 512M is plenty for what you described.
    The additional stick would have been more productive as a space heater than
    a system speed boost. (Although this argument is much more effective for
    laptops)

    .... does anyone else consider heat when buying RAM? I bought a D800 and
    decked it out with 1GB of RAM (a big chunk of memory when it was bought).
    It has the most memory of all my systems. Yet it performs about the
    same as the rest. And the memory bay gets hot as hell. ;)

    Seriously. The Pentium M heat benefits are way overrated. The memory
    is the hottest thing in the laptop.

    I would say that 512Mb is enough for most applications, even games (as long
    as you have a decent video card with at least 64Mb of its own memory. If you
    can get 1Gb (especially considering how inexpensive memory is nowadays), it
    will speed things up, especially if you work with Photoshop, then go for it.
    The more memory, the better, of course.

    WebGuyGuru

    Pricester.com - Get your FREE Website
    No design and hosting fees, Auction / Barter.

    "Al" <none@no.com> wrote in message
    > Dimension 3000 P4 533 FSB 2.8 GHz with XP Home.
    >
    > Is 512MB enough? I'd be doing just general stuff, no games - maybe
    > PhotoShop
    > once in a while. Doing a Java compile run should presumably be no problem
    > memory-wise, but when writing code I might have a dozen or more windows
    > open,
    > including several browser windows.
    >
    > I ordered 512MB, but I had also previously bought 512MB of PNY PC2700,
    > which
    > I'm thinking of returning. Is there any reason for me to keep and install
    > the
    > extra 512MB? I have to decide by today.
    >
    > How much RAM would XP Home take up by itself? I'm used to running with no
    > virtual memory, with ~400MB on my old computer and '98.
    >
    > Also, from what I've learned on this group, PC2700 would be the correct
    > RAM
    > for the P4 533FSB cpu, right?
    >
    > Thanks.

Dell Computers