Sign in with
Your question

Buying cheap old used laptop for programming

Last response: in Laptops & Notebooks
July 10, 2012 4:55:53 AM

I have a desktop that's relatively powerful, but am in need of a cheap laptop for coding Python, Javascript and some markup languages as well when I am on the move. Nothing too performance-heavy (14" preferably), but want something that can handle compiling/execution of scripts without too much trouble while multi-tasking.

I've thought about buying a used Thinkpad T60/61 or something for the reliability. I'd rather pay <$150 off craigslist/ebay. I'm wondering if it's worth it to save up for a more updated laptop with i3 and 4gb ram or something.
July 10, 2012 5:41:04 AM

Assuming you'll be running Linux, anything should be fine. Don't bother with the more expensive parts. With that said, you could probably find some i3 machine out there for around $150.
m
l
July 10, 2012 7:07:21 AM

You can find a simple and cheap brand new laptop instead of going for used laptops.
m
l
Related resources
July 10, 2012 1:36:41 PM

Quote:
You can find a simple and cheap brand new laptop instead of going for used laptops.

I've found brand new ones around $300, but I feel if I'm going to spend $300, I might as well save up for 400-500. I think I may go with an older used Thinkpad, I hear they are reliable.
m
l
August 6, 2013 10:03:49 PM

try boneyardpc.com my Buddy from work just got laptops for his kids for school there. he got 3 at $100 each and they all come with 1 year warranty. Even the battery. I was looking my self. not really alot of selection but the models they do have seemed nice for the price plus you cant beat the warranty.
m
l
!