Missing Application Manager driver

JJ

During one of my many re-boots (have recently installed WinXP), I suddenly
got the message that Windows had found a new hardware device (Application
Manager). However, it cannot find the current/missing driver anywhere on any
of my local hard drives. I have no idea what this device is, what it does,
and how it will affect my computer if I just disable it. I've tried locating
the driver for it online, on my WinXP install disk, but to no avail. I can
only assume that I must have done something to accidentally delete it (sad to
say that I have not had the chance to purchase and install new Norton
Utilities version, so no protected files to search thru & restore).

Does anyone know how I can locate the driver, or can I just disable it
without any real affect to the operation of my computer?
Thx~~~
--
JJ

galen

Distinguished
May 24, 2004

In news:85345628-621E-41EC-849B-D6EC65E79FDB@microsoft.com,
JJ <JJ@discussions.microsoft.com> had this to say:

> During one of my many re-boots (have recently installed WinXP), I
> suddenly got the message that Windows had found a new hardware device
> (Application Manager). However, it cannot find the current/missing
> driver anywhere on any of my local hard drives. I have no idea what
> this device is, what it does, and how it will affect my computer if I
> just disable it. I've tried locating the driver for it online, on my
> WinXP install disk, but to no avail. I can only assume that I must
> have done something to accidentally delete it (sad to say that I have
> not had the chance to purchase and install new Norton Utilities
> version, so no protected files to search thru & restore).
>
> Does anyone know how I can locate the driver, or can I just disable it
> without any real affect to the operation of my computer?
> Thx~~~

Chances are if you're running fine now you can disable it. I ran through
mine and I don't see an application manager though our hardware is surely
different. I'd say disable it if you're running fine and there's no issues
or problems with your OS at this time.

Galen

mental exaltation." -- Sherlock Holmes

JJ

Galen....thx for the advice.

Just for clarification, I found where this device is listed (I would have
never even known I had such a device if I hadn't received the error message
that it's driver was missing). Here is how I got to any info there is on it:
Control Panel/Administrative Tools/System Tools/Device Manager/Other
Devices/Application Management/Properties/Details: DeviceInstanceId
ROOT\LEGACY_APPMGMT\0000

My puter has slowed somewhat (I already fixed any DMA issues), and some
applications refuse to load (MSN Messenger for example). Don't know if that
is just a result of installing XP or if it is related to the missing
Application Management.
--
JJ

In news:1D82AD63-8169-4DC5-8162-333C4D8E5F89@microsoft.com,
JJ <JJ@discussions.microsoft.com> had this to say:

> Galen....thx for the advice.
>
> Just for clarification, I found where this device is listed (I would
> have never even known I had such a device if I hadn't received the
> error message that it's driver was missing). Here is how I got to
> any info there is on it: Control Panel/Administrative Tools/System
> Tools/Device Manager/Other Devices/Application
> Management/Properties/Details: DeviceInstanceId
> ROOT\LEGACY_APPMGMT\0000
>
> My puter has slowed somewhat (I already fixed any DMA issues), and
> some applications refuse to load (MSN Messenger for example). Don't
> know if that is just a result of installing XP or if it is related to
> the missing Application Management.

I've just run through three XP systems and at this point I can't even seem
to find a listing for 'other devices' in there on any of mine.

If I Google specifically for Application Management Driver or application
manager driver it gives me no results.

This means I'm a bit lost... Under your services do you have Application
Manager listed and running? If it's not running what happens when you try to
start it? Does it give you an error? Is it set to disabled? (It's set to
manual here.)