New Laptop & MN700

I purchased a new Hp Laptop w/54g 802.11b/g w/125HM SpeedBooster. My computer
recognized the network and I entered the correct security password. The
computer says that it is connected to the LAN and strong signal. However,
I'm having a problem connecting to the Internet through my existing Earthlink
account; i.e. there is a problem with the registration service (or something
similar). The MN700 is working as I'm using it with the computer writing this
letter. Would there be any reason why my Hp laptop can't communicate with
Earthlink through the MN700? Does the SpeedBooster create an
incompatiability?
--
Ken
6 answers Last reply

    I don't believe the "SpeedBooster" is compatible with the MN-700. The
    router uses regular 802.11b/g broadcast, not any boosting facilities. Try
    turning that off on the laptop.
    --
    Chris H.
    Microsoft Windows MVP/Tablet PC

    "ColoraKen" <ColoraKen@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    >I purchased a new Hp Laptop w/54g 802.11b/g w/125HM SpeedBooster. My
    >computer
    > recognized the network and I entered the correct security password. The
    > computer says that it is connected to the LAN and strong signal. However,
    > I'm having a problem connecting to the Internet through my existing
    > Earthlink
    > account; i.e. there is a problem with the registration service (or
    > something
    > similar). The MN700 is working as I'm using it with the computer writing
    > this
    > letter. Would there be any reason why my Hp laptop can't communicate with
    > Earthlink through the MN700? Does the SpeedBooster create an
    > incompatiability?
    > --
    > Ken

    Thanks. I'll try to contact Hp to see if I can turn the SpeedBooster off.
    --
    Ken

    "Chris H." wrote:

    > I don't believe the "SpeedBooster" is compatible with the MN-700. The
    > router uses regular 802.11b/g broadcast, not any boosting facilities. Try
    > turning that off on the laptop.
    > --
    > Chris H.
    > Microsoft Windows MVP/Tablet PC
    > Associate Expert
    >

    > "ColoraKen" <ColoraKen@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > >I purchased a new Hp Laptop w/54g 802.11b/g w/125HM SpeedBooster. My
    > >computer
    > > recognized the network and I entered the correct security password. The
    > > computer says that it is connected to the LAN and strong signal. However,
    > > I'm having a problem connecting to the Internet through my existing
    > > Earthlink
    > > account; i.e. there is a problem with the registration service (or
    > > something
    > > similar). The MN700 is working as I'm using it with the computer writing
    > > this
    > > letter. Would there be any reason why my Hp laptop can't communicate with
    > > Earthlink through the MN700? Does the SpeedBooster create an
    > > incompatiability?
    > > --
    > > Ken

    Okay Chris. I went Hp Support and they indicated that their computer was
    compatiable with the MN700 and that the SpeedBooster was also backward
    compatiable. This whole problem may be an Earthlink problem that they are
    just unwilling to acknowledge. I'll keep trying.
    --
    Ken

    "Chris H." wrote:

    > I don't believe the "SpeedBooster" is compatible with the MN-700. The
    > router uses regular 802.11b/g broadcast, not any boosting facilities. Try
    > turning that off on the laptop.
    > --
    > Chris H.
    > Microsoft Windows MVP/Tablet PC
    > Associate Expert
    >

    > "ColoraKen" <ColoraKen@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > >I purchased a new Hp Laptop w/54g 802.11b/g w/125HM SpeedBooster. My
    > >computer
    > > recognized the network and I entered the correct security password. The
    > > computer says that it is connected to the LAN and strong signal. However,
    > > I'm having a problem connecting to the Internet through my existing
    > > Earthlink
    > > account; i.e. there is a problem with the registration service (or
    > > something
    > > similar). The MN700 is working as I'm using it with the computer writing
    > > this
    > > letter. Would there be any reason why my Hp laptop can't communicate with
    > > Earthlink through the MN700? Does the SpeedBooster create an
    > > incompatiability?
    > > --
    > > Ken

    Well, that's good. Double-check your settings on the MN-700 and what is
    required by Earthlink. Perhaps their support section could lead you through
    the setup.
    --

    > Okay Chris. I went Hp Support and they indicated that their computer was
    > compatiable with the MN700 and that the SpeedBooster was also backward
    > compatiable. This whole problem may be an Earthlink problem that they are
    > just unwilling to acknowledge. I'll keep trying.
    > --
    > Ken
    >

    > "Chris H." wrote:
    >
    >> I don't believe the "SpeedBooster" is compatible with the MN-700. The
    >> router uses regular 802.11b/g broadcast, not any boosting facilities.
    >> Try
    >> turning that off on the laptop.
    >> --
    >> Chris H.
    >> Microsoft Windows MVP/Tablet PC
    >> Associate Expert
    >>

    >> "ColoraKen" <ColoraKen@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    >> >I purchased a new Hp Laptop w/54g 802.11b/g w/125HM SpeedBooster. My
    >> >computer
    >> > recognized the network and I entered the correct security password. The
    >> > computer says that it is connected to the LAN and strong signal.
    >> > However,
    >> > I'm having a problem connecting to the Internet through my existing
    >> > Earthlink
    >> > account; i.e. there is a problem with the registration service (or
    >> > something
    >> > similar). The MN700 is working as I'm using it with the computer
    >> > writing
    >> > this
    >> > letter. Would there be any reason why my Hp laptop can't communicate
    >> > with
    >> > Earthlink through the MN700? Does the SpeedBooster create an
    >> > incompatiability?
    >> > --
    >> > Ken

    All's well that ends well. Hp had me change some IP settings which I did.
    Nothing improved. Then I deleted AOL which came with the computer (I just
    don't like AOL) and after rebooting (which was required), I was able to make
    a connection with Earthlink. All things considered, I really don't know
    whether what I did solved the problem or Earthlink cleaned up its act. I've
    had this happen before: a problem and then after a lot of wasted time with
    Support, etc., the problem is solved. But thanks for your help.
    --
    Ken

    "Chris H." wrote:

    > Well, that's good. Double-check your settings on the MN-700 and what is
    > required by Earthlink. Perhaps their support section could lead you through
    > the setup.
    > --
    > Chris H.
    > Microsoft Windows MVP/Tablet PC
    > Associate Expert
    >

    > "ColoraKen" <ColoraKen@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > > Okay Chris. I went Hp Support and they indicated that their computer was
    > > compatiable with the MN700 and that the SpeedBooster was also backward
    > > compatiable. This whole problem may be an Earthlink problem that they are
    > > just unwilling to acknowledge. I'll keep trying.
    > > --
    > > Ken
    > >

    > > "Chris H." wrote:
    > >
    > >> I don't believe the "SpeedBooster" is compatible with the MN-700. The
    > >> router uses regular 802.11b/g broadcast, not any boosting facilities.
    > >> Try
    > >> turning that off on the laptop.
    > >> --
    > >> Chris H.
    > >> Microsoft Windows MVP/Tablet PC
    > >> Tablet Creations - http://nicecreations.us/
    > >> Associate Expert
    > >> Expert Zone - www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone
    > >>

    > >> "ColoraKen" <ColoraKen@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

    I suspect the "service" you dislike. 8-) It was probably trying to
    connect, but your system is all the better for removing it.
    --

    > All's well that ends well. Hp had me change some IP settings which I did.
    > Nothing improved. Then I deleted AOL which came with the computer (I just
    > don't like AOL) and after rebooting (which was required), I was able to
    > make
    > a connection with Earthlink. All things considered, I really don't know
    > whether what I did solved the problem or Earthlink cleaned up its act.
    > I've
    > had this happen before: a problem and then after a lot of wasted time with
    > Support, etc., the problem is solved. But thanks for your help.
    > --
    > Ken
    >

    > "Chris H." wrote:
    >
    >> Well, that's good. Double-check your settings on the MN-700 and what is
    >> required by Earthlink. Perhaps their support section could lead you
    >> through
    >> the setup.
    >> --
    >> Chris H.
    >> Microsoft Windows MVP/Tablet PC
    >> Associate Expert
    >>

    >> "ColoraKen" <ColoraKen@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    >> > Okay Chris. I went Hp Support and they indicated that their computer
    >> > was
    >> > compatiable with the MN700 and that the SpeedBooster was also backward
    >> > compatiable. This whole problem may be an Earthlink problem that they
    >> > are
    >> > just unwilling to acknowledge. I'll keep trying.
    >> > --
    >> > Ken

Routers Computers HP Laptop Networking