Sign in with
Your question

Which laptop is better?

Last response: in Laptops & Notebooks
July 10, 2012 9:32:35 PM

I have a laptop with i5 2410m and since it is giving me problems, i think i'll be replacing it with a new laptop.

Current specs:
i5 2410m @ 2.3 ghz
HD 6470m
4 GB DDR3
USB 2.0

Specs of the laptop in mind 1: (HP Pavilion dv6-6c10ez, white)
Amd a6 @ 1.7 ghz quad core
HD 7640G + HD 7670m dual
4 GB DDR3
USB 2.0

Specs of the laptop in mind 2: (Toshiba Satellite L750-1NH)
Intel Core i7-2670QM @ 2.2 ghz
GT 525m 2 GB (prolly ddr3 version)
8 GB DDR3
USB 3.0

All these laptops are for the same price so it is more or less like "give and take".

Which of the one do you guys suggest me to get?

Mainly for gaming but one of my priorities is also better battery life because i need longer battery life while i take notes during my lectures...

I won't be doing video editing or stuff like that so yeah, those are out of the league.

There are some good things and bad things about both laptops:

-toshiba one has 750 GB hard drive and usb 3.0 while HP one doesn't. HP one has 500 GB hard drive.
-HP has 6 pack battery Li-Ion.
-Toshiba weighs around 2.5 kh while HP one weighs 2.9 kg
-Toshiba with 8 GB DDR3 vs HP has 4GB DDR3
-GT 525m is ddr3 i think while HD 7670m is ddr5
- Oh yeah, and HP one has flowery design on it lolz which is also a con for me xD

While both screens don't have HD quality.

A link to both laptops:
http://www.fust.ch/de/nav/shop/online-shop/category/not...
http://shop.mediamarkt.ch/de/computer-buero/notebooks-n...

More about : laptop

a b D Laptop
a b α HP
July 10, 2012 10:50:04 PM

You should really look for a Celeron/Pentium laptop and get a desktop for game. Although if I have to choose, I would go for 2. The reason is that although it is not as good as HP for game, the HP is by no mean a proper gaming machine. These stop gap solution will eventually be replaced by proper gaming desktop and therefore the laptop with better general performance will last longer for your education purpose.
a b D Laptop
July 10, 2012 11:05:00 PM

2nd #2
make that 3rd for #2
Related resources
July 10, 2012 11:18:01 PM

I say you should get the one with the better graphic card.

Regarding about battery life have you thought about purchasing a laptop with a 3rd Gen Intel as it helps with battery life.

Anyways what is wrong with the laptop you have? Is it too slow or is the battery life really weak? Are you getting the BSOD? Have you though about upgrading hardware on your old laptop might be cheaper.

If your problem is while gaming then the graphic card you have isn't strong enough to play the new games out now. Get the one with the Intel
July 11, 2012 9:24:07 AM

Problem with my current laptop is that the mouse button it has SUCKS. I have sent it to repair 3 times already for the same reason because the mouse button becomes loose. Therefore the shop is probably going to give me my money back so that i can buy another laptop for the same price and those are the two options i have so far...
July 11, 2012 9:26:08 AM

Idk why i can't edit my previous post but anyways:

I have a decent gaming desktop already which can run modern games on med graphics just fine. I don't want to get a gaming desktop as a decent one can cost up to 800-1000$ which is a lot for me, therefore i'm looking towards mobile gaming with med graphics...
July 11, 2012 9:30:52 AM

Number 3 has the better processor by far, but number 2 has the better GPU slightly, but a lot less RAM.

I would say...Number 3.
July 11, 2012 12:59:22 PM

is 4 GB alot less? isn't it sufficient?

also, don't you think that HP laptop would get me better FPS in games compared to toshiba one?
a b D Laptop
July 11, 2012 3:18:39 PM

4 gigs is pretty much the min now adays, with the recommended @ 6 to 8 Gigs.
You may find that the USB3 may be a good feature to have, espeacially if you end up upgrading to a SSD for your OS + programs.
.. SSDs are about $100 for 128 gig and the 256 gig can be had on sale for about $180 - SSD is 20 to 40 times faster than a HDD. My samsung has Daul HDD bays so that is not a problem for me. Also have a Tosibia with a single HDD bay. Using an SSD for OS + Programs means using a USB3 HDD on occassions, and usb3 is MUCH faster than USB2.

Reliability, Generally Toshibia is much better than HP for consummer laptops.
July 11, 2012 6:46:58 PM

1. I don't plan on buying SSDs for 180$ which is pretty much a waste for me as idc if my windows load up 4 seconds faster than they do now lol.
2. someone mentioned on other forums that USB 3 isn't all that great compared to USB 2 so that shouldn't be my concerns...is it true?
3. Do you think A8 (1.9-2.5 ghz) + 7690m seems to be a better spec when comparing with the toshiba one? if that's one of my options as well, would you suggest that one then? because 7690m is far superior than gt525m, no? + nvidia chipset is a ddr3 while hd 7670m or hd 7690m are ddr5 chips.
a b D Laptop
July 11, 2012 11:11:57 PM

7690M is DDR3 and 7690M XT is DDR5 are both a Class II GPUs. The 525 is a class III card
Quote: The 3D performance of the HD 7690M is slightly better than the average GeForce GT 550M and is therefore positioned in the upper middle class as of 2011. Demanding games like Anno 2070 or Skyrim can only be played in medium detail settings and lower resolutions. Even more demanding games, such as Battlefield 3, may only run fluently in low detail settings. Older games like Call of Duty: Black Ops are playable with all settings maxed. End Quote

For performance See: (Scroll to bottom left for specfic games)
7690M http://www.notebookcheck.net/AMD-Radeon-HD-7690M.67737....
7690 XT http://www.notebookcheck.net/AMD-Radeon-HD-7690M-XT.726...
GT525M http://www.notebookcheck.net/NVIDIA-GeForce-GT-525M.438...
So Yes the 7690M is faster than the gt525M
a b D Laptop
a b α HP
July 12, 2012 12:30:45 AM

USB 3.0 is a big deal if you need to move a lot of data.
July 12, 2012 12:56:41 AM

i would go for the toshiba. ghz and ram is extremely important, but for gaming i have realized graphics card is extremely important. the toshiba looks like it has a good graphics card especially for games that are out nowadays. i made a mistake by buying a macbook pro with all the best specs on it except for the graphics card, and i cant even switch out the graphics card because apple decided to have the graphics card wired to the motherboard, so if i want to switch out the graphics card i would have to take out the motherboard as well.
July 12, 2012 8:02:00 PM

you just said that gfx is extremely important and you're suggesting me to get toshiba one? why the contradiction.
July 13, 2012 6:08:03 AM

shad0wboss said:
you just said that gfx is extremely important and you're suggesting me to get toshiba one? why the contradiction.

Because the 525m is better than the card in the HP. I was wrong.

Edit: No, I wasn't. I was right. The 525m is inferior to the 7670m.
July 13, 2012 6:02:30 PM

PCgamer81 said:
Because the 525m is better than the card in the HP. I was wrong.

No but the argument is about battery life + gaming performance

1. Truly i7 consumes more power than the A6, A8 or A10 quad cores (45W vs 35W vs 25W)
but
2. gt 525m seems to consume less power than HD 7670m or 7690m theoretically since they both have ddr5 vs ddr3.
3. Most of the games require GPU power than CPU power.

Do you think that toshiba would give me a longer battery life than A8 or A6 with HD 7670m or hd 7690m?
July 13, 2012 11:30:51 PM

shad0wboss said:
No but the argument is about battery life + gaming performance

1. Truly i7 consumes more power than the A6, A8 or A10 quad cores (45W vs 35W vs 25W)
but
2. gt 525m seems to consume less power than HD 7670m or 7690m theoretically since they both have ddr5 vs ddr3.
3. Most of the games require GPU power than CPU power.

Do you think that toshiba would give me a longer battery life than A8 or A6 with HD 7670m or hd 7690m?
Probably about the same.

As it turns out, the 7670m is better than the 525m after all. I was right with my initial impression. For some reason I later confused it with the 555m.

All gaming laptops have terrible gaming life. But, if you want to go with a better notebook go with the Toshiba. It has a weaker GPU, but a far better CPU, more RAM, and is a better brand for laptops.

Edit: Now, if all you are going to be doing is gaming, you could probably go with the HP and pop in some more RAM. That would get you better benchmarks than with the Toshiba, but it is still an overall inferior laptop IMO.
July 14, 2012 10:32:20 AM

PCgamer81 said:
Probably about the same.

As it turns out, the 7670m is better than the 525m after all. I was right with my initial impression. For some reason I later confused it with the 555m.

All gaming laptops have terrible gaming life. But, if you want to go with a better notebook go with the Toshiba. It has a weaker GPU, but a far better CPU, more RAM, and is a better brand for laptops.

Edit: Now, if all you are going to be doing is gaming, you could probably go with the HP and pop in some more RAM. That would get you better benchmarks than with the Toshiba, but it is still an overall inferior laptop IMO.

inferior in what terms though? i was trying to avoid toshiba due to 1 major reason and that's the same reason why i'm returning my laptop back and that's because of the laptop key buttons, they become loose and the toshiba one has the same quality buttons (plastic ones)...

have anyone of you encountered any problem like that where the mouse buttons become loose after a period of time?
July 14, 2012 10:38:29 AM

Also the HP one has two ati cards in crossfire so does it means that the performance will be better?
July 17, 2012 12:44:10 PM

shad0wboss said:
Also the HP one has two ati cards in crossfire so does it means that the performance will be better?

Yes.

I have generally found that HP is overpriced junk, but I admittedly haven't used a whole lot of HP builds.

I would go with the Toshiba, as it has one of the best CPUs you can get in a laptop, and all the RAM you will ever need.

If all you are going to be doing is gaming, go with the HP, seeing as how you can expand the RAM to 8gb. The video card in the HP is significantly better than the 525m. I wouldn't call it a crossfire card, though. It is a mobile card with two irrelated chips.
!