Windows on 98 Percent of New Netbooks

Status
Not open for further replies.

eklipz330

Distinguished
Jul 7, 2008
all that has to be done for the lock to be broken is for the company with the glowing apple to make a pasty white netbook for $1200, and sell them to complete morons. it'll go down to like 80% in no time

Hanin33

Distinguished
Feb 13, 2009
Early adopters of netbooks may have been more comfortable with working in a Linux environment, but the mainstream consumer still wants to stick with what’s already known.

i dunno that it's so much with sticking with something that's known over something that has applications worth using. linux's emulation of windows appz is 50/50 at best, still, after all this time and there's very little developed that's on both operating systems. but i guess i'm assuming your average user even understands that some applications need to be installed after purchase and don't already come with the hardware.

mcnuggetofdeath

Distinguished
Oct 9, 2008
Stupid MS, ruin a good thing why dont you. Come in, offer cheap liscenses, then mandate what qualifies for said liscence, and in the process destroy any semblance of technological advancement in the market. Can you say hybrid storage solution? Linux Mint FTW

computabug

Distinguished
Mar 17, 2009
No MS is just being a smart butt. The main reason why MS is quietly killing netbooks, linux, and software in general is because idiots (i.e. non-tech savvy people/morons) fall for MS's GUI eye candy >.>

At this point, I feel like blowing up whoever can't name a Linux distro :S

computabug

Distinguished
Mar 17, 2009
Waaaaait a second.... Does that mean that 98% of netbooks are bought with a windows license, just to install linux on it when we get home? :)

G

In a nutshell - "Netbook", a new category of PC with small SSD won't run windows. "Netbook" is never ment to be a small version of a regular PC, so is perfect for Linux. MS retaliates by redefining the definition of Netbook to include spinning platters and offers XP, building a customer expectation that "Netbook" IS just like a little PC. Cue inevitable bloat of hardware specs, until the term "Netbook" now just defines the low end of the laptop market, where MS has (for a long time) held about 98% marketshare anyway. Big news.

1haplo

Distinguished
Feb 24, 2007
Windows 98 on New Netbooks??? Ohhh......Windows on 98% of New Netbooks...

So 98 is higher then 7, Then Windows 98 is better then Windows 7 right?

If you get this far you are gullible!

SAL-e

Distinguished
Feb 4, 2009
Wow. MS is sponsoring two NPD researches in 2-3 months period. I wonder why?
The latest data from NPD’s retail tracking service showed that Windows now account for a whopping 98 percent of all small notebook PCs sales at retail in the U.S.,
Mr. Marcus Yam why you becoming part of Microsoft propaganda? As you can see this data is for Notebooks (not a netbooks) sold in retail stores only. I never seen user that know the difference between OSes to buy from overpriced retail store. And I can bet you that most netbooks are soled online. Stating that MS is holding 98% of the entire market is very unprofessional. I understand why Mr.Brandon LeBlanc is insinuating this. He is MS employee and has vested interest, but what is your interest?
Also please note the timing of this MS BS is coming days after Computex. We just saw what is coming in near future: Android, Moblin and etc. All this is Linux. I guess that many MS executives have trouble sleeping those days.

G

It really amounts to an antitrust issue, MS is using it's market dominance to force out Linux. The vendors are to blame as well, but MS dictating netbook specs and then all but giving away the license is fukkt up... Since the Linux Foundation is a non-profit corporation, I don't see them being able to sustain a legal battle against MS. They're also making sure that their is no incentive for Intel or AMD to come out with better hardware by limiting things like Ghz, etc...

Maybe we should all take a moment to email the netbook manufacturers in support of Linux?

PS: Everyone go check out OpenGEU, very kick-ass distro based on Ubuntu with Enlightenment e17 desktop. It uses lots of 2d desktop FX, and no 3d desktop FX, so it looks nice and runs well on even the crappiest hardware. IMHO the best Linux for netbooks and any other machine lacking robust 3d capabilities.

G

Initially they started with aiming the price to be $100 per laptop.
Practically that was not possible. So they started with $200 per laptop.
It had Linux that didn't cost anything and was completely opensource.
Asus took over with the EeePc's and where the first to use a Xandros Linux, which was a hybrid of a debian based Linux and the taskmanager of Windows.
MS got about $10 per licence for that (I heard).
This is where everything went wrong. Slowly laptops with Windows XP where released, but the SSD drives (2GB/4GB) of the netbooks where too small to host the OS.
So they increased the SSD size, as well as improve the looks.
Added a webcam and upgraded from 0,3 to 1,3Mpix cam.
Upgraded RAM from 512MB to 1GB, as XP needed more ram to function better.
They also addressed and improved the SSD's speed,because Windows had more file activity in the background.

Slowly but surely those $200 laptops became $600 laptops, and the reason why people wanted to buy them vanished (as being cheap desktop alternatives, or cheaper than laptop 'toys' to play around with).
I got angry at the pricing policy beginning of 2008,which just became too ridiculous! From there on people started noting that a laptop that's often 2-4 times better in CPU speed, RAM, diskspace, and screen size was sold for the same price!

The Atom processor that costed $5 to produce was sold for $90.
And MS still found a reason to keep Windows XP, a dying OS, that microsoft wanted to quench in favor of it's (by then) powerhungry 'flagship' of unproductivity, alive, and sell it for $35 or something per laptop.
It is MS that caused the mini netbook sector to grow, but on the other hand, it was also the reason for netbooks being more than twice as expensive!

If it was up to Linux,netbooks would function perfectly fine with an Atom, or even a downclocked Celeron M processor, 512MB Ram, and 4GB SSD.

The subtle increase in OS had a double of price tag as result on these machines.
Now Netbooks with Windows 7 need to come with 1GB of RAM at least, and an 8GB SSD(if you want to install anything else but Windows on it).
Probably the battery life will suffer with 7 as much as it suffers from XP compared to Linux. Generally, with the same powersettings Linux can handle 10 to 20min longer battery life than XP on a 3,5 to 5 hours charge. Same probably with Win7. And Win 7 will need a larger battery, but since the density of batteries are about as dense as they can get, those batteries will become larger, forcing the notebook to become larger (than 9"; eg: 10 or 11"). Add the price of Windows 7 for netbooks and your Win7 netbook will end up being bigger in size, hardware, or lasts less in battery, and costs more!
I expect Windows 7 netbooks to cost at least $50 more than current Atom netbooks.
Then the newer chipset (CPU + IGP + memory controller on one chip/die), which seems the 'perfect' solution for the lagging Atom/GMA chipset, and your netbook will cost you $600.
And no person is going to be able to do anything about that... They've lost the original idea of building a $100 laptop, or more practically a $200 per laptop!

One thing is for sure, whatever OS comes on my netbook, I will go with XP!

computabug

Distinguished
Mar 17, 2009
[citation][nom]ProDigit80[/nom]One thing is for sure, whatever OS comes on my netbook, I will go with XP![/citation]
It seems that you just brutally murdered the point of your super long novel with that last sentence...

Carlo1440

Distinguished
Jan 21, 2009
I'm with ProDigit80...except I'd want Linux on my netbook, even though I am pro Windows. It all comes down to using the best tool for the job.

I knew Apple would take over the portable entertainment market. Why? Because even though they can't sell computers, a year or so before the first iPod came out, all the software technologies like Quicktime were the most used products. I then thought to myself: If Apple gives up on the hardware side of things (computers) and concentrates on the software side of things (portability) they could take off in their own right. Enter the iPod.

Likewise, the term netbook is self-explanatory. It is a notebook / laptop type device primarily designed for surfing the net. Granted, you might want to run a productivity suite, perhaps some music or videos, and that's it. For this, Linux is ideal. Why? Because it is stable, lean and in some cases, better than Windows. Ubuntu 8.04 does all of that, has everything where you expect it to be so someone that has never used Linux can use it straight away, and has no compatibility problems because all netbook tasks can be handled by Linux. How do I know this? Because late last year, I used Ubuntu 8.04 as a first time user. The only thing it lacks over Windows is the compatibility for things outside of the realm of a netbook. If it can't be done using Ubuntu 8.04 or similar, you need a notebook, not a netbook.

And is Linux using the same marketing team as AMD? That story on THG a few days ago about AMD reps never being seen compared to the Intel reps applies here as well. Linux should make ONE distribution the one that gets sold with all PC's, with everyone being able to download their own flavour afterwards for free. And I think it should be Ubuntu. Why? Because people that know Linux already have their own preference and can download it themselves. However, people that only know Windows will never see that 'familar face' with Linux with a million distros spread all over the netbook world. Suddenly you are tossing up between 30 operating systems instead of just 2. The reason I think Ubuntu should be the main one is because most of the tutorials I come across seem to be for Ubuntu, which makes it easier again for newbies to take up.

anamaniac

Distinguished
Jan 7, 2009
[citation][nom]computabug[/nom]No MS is just being a smart butt. The main reason why MS is quietly killing netbooks, linux, and software in general is because idiots (i.e. non-tech savvy people/morons) fall for MS's GUI eye candy >.>At this point, I feel like blowing up whoever can't name a Linux distro :S[/citation]

Ubuntu, Kubuntu, Xubuntu (I think), debian stable, debian unstable, debian testing, damn small linux, puppy linux...
That's just what I can remember at this moment, and I'm a M$ fanboy.
There's just too many to name anyways...

I would put Ubuntu on a netbook no doubt. Leave my desktop for M$. The best tool for the job, in my belief.

Darkk

Distinguished
Oct 6, 2003
[citation][nom]Carlo1440[/nom] The reason I think Ubuntu should be the main one is because most of the tutorials I come across seem to be for Ubuntu, which makes it easier again for newbies to take up.[/citation]

You are very close with this. They actually released three flavors of Ubuntu which are server, desktop and now netbook.

It tells me they are serious about putting Ubuntu on every netbook as an option over Windows. They are on the right track and I think if they continue to develope into a more mature OS for netbooks they actually have something worthwhile.

So maybe Ubuntu 9.10 for Netbook will be their killer over Windows....maybe.

Donuts

Distinguished
Mar 13, 2009
Last time I checked Microsoft did not make a netbook. If the vendor chooses to install XP/Vista/7 on their netbook product range then it is entirely their decision. Microsoft will be more than happy to provide them with OEM licenses. I like how all the linux fanboi's somehow manage to blame MS because linux is now not the flavor of the day for netbooks. Their is no secret handshake illuminati get-to-gether at Redmond. The public has decided what they want. Maybe the rest of the world is right and linux is wrong. Fix your stupid hobby opeating system, kill of Stallman, Lunduke and abandon your hippie, communist, FOSS mentality and develop one standard for all distros and linux will slowly gain acceptance. While your'e on that, abandon your elitist attitude with regards to new linux users. You people scare the sh*t out of newbies when they ask simple question. And that is a FACT. This, "you're too dumb to use a PC" attitude when someone faults Linux will never ever help its cause. Anyway I digress... Just my 2 cents.

neiroatopelcc

Distinguished
Oct 3, 2006
[citation][nom]Darkk[/nom]You are very close with this. They actually released three flavors of Ubuntu which are server, desktop and now netbook.It tells me they are serious about putting Ubuntu on every netbook as an option over Windows. They are on the right track and I think if they continue to develope into a more mature OS for netbooks they actually have something worthwhile.So maybe Ubuntu 9.10 for Netbook will be their killer over Windows....maybe.[/citation]

Not a chance. No matter how good ubuntu or any other linux will become - it won't win over windows unless windows 7 somehow turns out to be a lot worse than it seems possible.
Those of us who know about all the options would in all probability still recommend one with windows to people who ask, even if we ourselves were the few running a linux. You simply don't want to teach grandma to use vista on one pc, and ubuntu on the other, and have to worry about telling her which things she can do on what, and why it doesn't work on the other.
Windows wins. Not nessecarily because it's better (though I believe that), but because it's the system people are already familiar with. No real news in that, it's just how things are. Microsoft need to fuck up a lot before someone switches.

ossie

Distinguished
Aug 21, 2008
[citation][nom]SAL-e[/nom]Wow. MS is sponsoring two NPD researches in 2-3 months period. I wonder why?Mr. Marcus Yam why you becoming part of Microsoft propaganda?[/citation]
Yummy boy knows well, where his paycheck comes from... m$ ads. No wonder TH has it's m$/wintel fanbozo$ collection.

m$'s "netbook" is just an overpriced low spec notebook with a crappy CPU and crappier (if not the crappiest) "o$". Just wait for vi$hta sp2+ (aka $even), for new heights on resources consumption. It will get even, otherwise quite good, notebooks to their knees. It's a win-win situation for m$ and net(?)-/notebook manufacturers - more and more HW, for just a bit more, lousy eye-candy. The consumer just loses.
[citation][nom]Donuts[/nom]Last time I checked Microsoft did not make a netbook. If the vendor chooses to install XP/Vista/7 on their netbook product range then it is entirely their decision. Microsoft will be more than happy to provide them with OEM licenses. I like how all the linux fanboi's somehow manage to blame MS because linux is now not the flavor of the day for netbooks. Their is no secret handshake illuminati get-to-gether at Redmond. The public has decided what they want. Maybe the rest of the world is right and linux is wrong. Fix your stupid hobby opeating system, kill of Stallman, Lunduke and abandon your hippie, communist, FOSS mentality and develop one standard for all distros and linux will slowly gain acceptance. While your'e on that, abandon your elitist attitude with regards to new linux users. You people scare the sh*t out of newbies when they ask simple question. And that is a FACT. This, "you're too dumb to use a PC" attitude when someone faults Linux will never ever help its cause. Anyway I digress... Just my 2 cents.[/citation]
Just burped your brain (aka single neuron)? Donuts seem to have serious side effects - no wonder coppers like them.
[citation][nom]neiroatopelcc[/nom]Not a chance. No matter how good ubuntu or any other linux will become - it won't win over windows unless windows 7 somehow turns out to be a lot worse than it seems possible. Those of us who know about all the options would in all probability still recommend one with windows to people who ask, even if we ourselves were the few running a linux. You simply don't want to teach grandma to use vista on one pc, and ubuntu on the other, and have to worry about telling her which things she can do on what, and why it doesn't work on the other.Windows wins. Not nessecarily because it's better (though I believe that), but because it's the system people are already familiar with. No real news in that, it's just how things are. Microsoft need to fuck up a lot before someone switches.[/citation]
Just wait for vi$hta flop #2 (aka $even)... All the mad spinning and ads won't help - businesses have no incentive at "upgrades" to DRM-o$. Just DX fankiddies gulp the bait - hook, line and sinker - but they are such a tiny marketshare.

neiroatopelcc

Distinguished
Oct 3, 2006
[citation][nom]ossie[/nom]Just wait for vi$hta flop #2 (aka $even)... All the mad spinning and ads won't help - businesses have no incentive at "upgrades" to DRM-o$. Just DX fankiddies gulp the bait - hook, line and sinker - but they are such a tiny marketshare.[/citation]

Can you give me a timeframe or deadline for when you think this is going to happen? And have you even tried win seven? Since you compare it to vista just because the looks are shared a bit, I assume all you've done is seen some screenshots. They've got less in common than redhat 5.2 and centos 5.3 .... and they're very different products!
As for businesses - I happen to work for one, as member of the IT staff, and I can't say we're dreading windows 7 much. We're not going to load it onto an athlon xp 1800+, but we aren't afraid of the system.

belardo

Splendid
Nov 23, 2008
I like netbooks... wish I had one, rather than my 15" notebook.

The current ones are quite nice as they are the easiest ways for general consumers to get WindowsXP.

njalterio

Distinguished
Jan 14, 2008
That's too bad Windows is on most netbooks. I thought netbooks would be a great opportunity for Linux. Don't get me wrong; I use Vista on my primary computer and it works great, but increased exposure to Linux would be a very healthy thing to users who cling to things like the "My Documents" folder and bookmarks in IE.

I think the quality of new operating systems would be vastly improved if Microsoft and Apple could focus on making software better and did not have to cater to user stupidity.

annymmo

Distinguished
Apr 7, 2009
For that reason, as net book popularity grew, so too did the market share for Windows in that segment. Early adopters of net books may have been more comfortable with working in a Linux environment, but the mainstream consumer still wants to stick with what’s already known.

MS has bullied out Linux on net books and demonstration PC's.
Bad graphic drivers, fanboyism and support for Linux are also to blame.

Linux and other FREE operating systems are THE reason net books have like 3$ or something in that price range Win XP licences!

And why are you making such assumptions about consumers that they like something where they don't care about and just take what's on it?

The early adopters got Linux and ARE comfortable with it once they got used to it and if the drivers worked.
Once it got mainstream it got on MS radar. MS got out after the net books aggressively lowering prices for Win XP licences and pushing out hardware specifications. Seducing net book makers to use Win XP and boycotting Linux on net books.

If Linux and WINE improve enough to run native Win XP applications flawlessly, many distributions will start beating the compatibility-crap out of MS Virtual Win XP crap/stuff and Linux will have a strong argument to be used instead of Windows.
To make matters worse for Windows, win and Linux are already so good that there are programs and games that are running faster on Linux + Wine than on native Windows.

The only reason net books not having Linux as default (yet) is MS anti-Linux behaviour and boycotting of Linux.
The net book distributors should also use a standard Linux Distribution instead of trying to make some stuff.

njalterio is mentioning something very important.

You're absolutely right njalterio and I completelly agree with you opinion,
exposure to Linux is really needed and useful for those "My Documents" people.

Status
Not open for further replies.