Windows XP Media Center not up to standard expected

I recently purchased a new PC running Intel P4, GHz processor, 150gig sata
hard-drive and all the bells an whistles including Media Center Edition 2005
(v5.1.2 700.2230). It has Hauppauge videos/tuner etc and a ATI video card.
The machine in no way lives up to the hype of Media Center. Yes, I can play,
record and watch TV programs, dvd's and listen to radio. However, the main
purpose in buying this item was to enable me to transfer my family
collection of VHS tapes to DVD in order to ensure their longevity and to
enable editing et al. The Hauppauge tuner has inputs for antenna, cable (DIN
type plug) FM aerial and three composite AV inputs, yellow, red and white.
The problem being, these inputs are not connected. James Foster
[j.foster@hauppauge.co.uk] advises thus,
This is a Media Centre issue, not one with the card, as I understand it
Media Centre does not currently support connecting Camcorders, only Set top
boxes for satellite and cable. Check on these forums:

www.thegreenbutton.com

www.xpmce.com

Best regards

James Foster

Tel: +44 (0) 20 7378 0202

j.foster@hauppauge.co.uk

www.hauppauge.co.uk

Not good enough as far as I am concerned. This issue should have been
brought to the attention of prospective buyers, either by Microsoft, who
appear blissfully unaware there is a problem or by the PC manufacturer.

Is there anyone out there who can assist with this problem? I have tried
using two tuner cards, but of course one crashes the other.

Sorry for such a long post. Many thanks for any input you may have relative
to this issue.

Not Happy

There is no way for a tuner card to detect the difference between an input from antenna on channel three or four, and the input from
a VCR on channel three or four. Certainly you would not get the 'green button' controls for start/stop, etc, and would have to
control the VCR manually, but recording the play just like a normal show 'on air' at three or four, would work just fine.

--

Mark L. Ferguson
FAQ for MS Antispyware version 1.0.509