Windows XP services stop automatically

Really weird one.
Small network, 1 server running SBS 2000 all latest service packs, 9
workstations all XP SP2 and updates.
Symantec Anti Virus Software, Corp Edition all up to date.
One of the machines on the network will simply just stop some services
on its own accord. Normally happens right after logging off, but also
happens while machine is logged on.

Services stopped are:
· Automatic Updates
· Computer Browser
· Cryptographic Services
· DHCP Client
· Distributed Link Tracking Client
· Error Reporting Service
· Help and Support
· Logical Disk Manager
· Secondary Logon
· Security Center
· Server
· System Event Notification
· System Restore Service
· Task Scheduler
· Themes
· Windows Audio
· Windows Firewall/Internet Connection Sharing (ICS)
· Windows Management Instrumentation
· Windows Time
· Wireless Zero Configuration
· Workstation

Users logging on and off do not have admin rights on the machine, so
presumably the services are not stopped using the user rights.

Already reloaded SP2, full virus scan, spyware / addware scan, just no
success.
From what I could see, it does not happen if the network cable is
unplugged.

HELP!!!!

I see errors like this happening when there is some driver problem with the NIC.

Go to Start/Run, and type DEVMGMT.MSC , highlight the network card device, Action menu, "Uninstall", then restart Windows, to find
the device drivers again automatically.

--

Mark L. Ferguson
FAQ for MS Antispyware version 1.0.509
"Jaco Swart" <swartja@hotmail.com> wrote in message news:e71115cd.0504290643.26691e4e@posting.google.com...
> Really weird one.
> Small network, 1 server running SBS 2000 all latest service packs, 9
> workstations all XP SP2 and updates.
> Symantec Anti Virus Software, Corp Edition all up to date.
> One of the machines on the network will simply just stop some services
> on its own accord. Normally happens right after logging off, but also
> happens while machine is logged on.
>
> Services stopped are:
> · Automatic Updates
> · Computer Browser
> · Cryptographic Services
> · DHCP Client
> · Distributed Link Tracking Client
> · Error Reporting Service
> · Help and Support
> · Logical Disk Manager
> · Secondary Logon
> · Security Center
> · Server
> · System Event Notification
> · System Restore Service
> · Task Scheduler
> · Themes
> · Windows Audio
> · Windows Firewall/Internet Connection Sharing (ICS)
> · Windows Management Instrumentation
> · Windows Time
> · Wireless Zero Configuration
> · Workstation
>
> Users logging on and off do not have admin rights on the machine, so
> presumably the services are not stopped using the user rights.
>
> Already reloaded SP2, full virus scan, spyware / addware scan, just no
> success.
> From what I could see, it does not happen if the network cable is
> unplugged.
>
> HELP!!!!

RonG

Distinguished
Feb 16, 2009
Hello Sports Fans...

I believe I found a fix for XP shutting down all the services. The actual fix is fairly easy. It's getting the utility onto the affected PC with the issues that can be the challenge. There is a fantastic utility out there called Dial-A-Fix. It can be downloaded at this site:

http://wiki.lunarsoft.net/wiki/Dial-a-fix

I checked the site while typing this to make sure it's still available and it is. Please send this guy a couple of bucks. He deserves it. I did.

I ran all of the services in Dial-A-Fix so I am not sure which one ultimately did the trick but I am fairly certain it was the Repair Permissions utility. In Dial-A-Fix click the hammer button across the bottom of the GUI. Repair Permissions is in the list. If you are using XP Home you may need to copy the SECEDIT.EXE file that comes with Dial-A-Fix into Windows\System32 folder before running the utility.

The problem is with no services running you can't use a USB flash drive or network connection to get Dial-A-Fix onto the affected machine. I had to extract it, burn the two files to CD, insert the CD into the laptop, open a CMD window, change to the CD-ROM drive then type dial-a-fix.exe to run it form the CD. Again if you have XP Home, at the CD-ROM drive command prompt you may need to type:

e:\copy secedit.exe c:\Windows\System32

(where e:\ is the correct drive letter for your CD-ROM drive.)

After you are done running that and all the other tools in this utility, restart the computer and turn-on all the services. I did it and have restarted 10 times. It's holding!

If you need a copy of Dial-A-Fix send me an e-mail and I will send it to you, but the guy that designed it really deserves all the credit - and money.

Good luck,

Ron

deepathak

Distinguished
Oct 1, 2009
I do this but not done. this problem i face now.