Search function not working

Worked yesterday!

Since Word no longer allows you to conduct a search, when I need to look for
a document I have been using Windows Explorer. I navigate to the directory I
want to search, type a word or phrase in the appropriate box, mark it to
search all files and subfolders, and it will search accordingly.

Today, the function no longer works. I have tested it by searching a very
small subdirectory for a document which contains an unsual word I know is
there, yet it tells me no documents containing the phrase are found. I did a
test by searching for my boss' name, which should be in the computer
thousands of times, and even though I've told it to search the "Insurance"
directory, it returns results for only a very few documents, all in the
f:\data directory (none in any of the subdirectories). It appears that even
though the option to search all files, folder, subdirectories, etc., is
chosen, it isn't looking everywhere.

I've rebooted more than once, I've even powered the machine off completely
and let it rest for 5+ minutes before starting it back up, still nothing.

Anyone have any ideas? This is a function I use very often so any help
would be appreciated!!

Thanks!

Windows® XP - Search Problems - Containing Text:
http://www.dougknox.com/xp/tips/xp_bad_search.htm

Additional Note:
<quote>

WinXP's search function filters out files to search in based on file
extensions (see further below).

Install the free Agent Ransack, it searches for text strings in *all*
types of files, and not just in a selection of "approved" file extensions
as the built-in search does. It's a *much* better search tool as well...

http://www.agentransack.com/default.aspx

Agent Ransack can save the search result to a file (or clipboard), as text,
comma separated text or tab separated text. E.g. Excel reads comma separated
text (csv) very well.

</quote>

--
Ramesh, Microsoft MVP
Windows XP Shell/User

"Boltsfan2029" <Boltsfan2029@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Worked yesterday!
>
> Since Word no longer allows you to conduct a search, when I need to look
> for
> a document I have been using Windows Explorer. I navigate to the
> directory I
> want to search, type a word or phrase in the appropriate box, mark it to
> search all files and subfolders, and it will search accordingly.
>
> Today, the function no longer works. I have tested it by searching a very
> small subdirectory for a document which contains an unsual word I know is
> there, yet it tells me no documents containing the phrase are found. I
> did a
> test by searching for my boss' name, which should be in the computer
> thousands of times, and even though I've told it to search the "Insurance"
> directory, it returns results for only a very few documents, all in the
> f:\data directory (none in any of the subdirectories). It appears that
> even
> though the option to search all files, folder, subdirectories, etc., is
> chosen, it isn't looking everywhere.
>
> I've rebooted more than once, I've even powered the machine off completely
> and let it rest for 5+ minutes before starting it back up, still nothing.
>
> Anyone have any ideas? This is a function I use very often so any help
> would be appreciated!!
>
> Thanks!

Thanks -- I'll check this out, but I'm not sure this is the problem. The
search function worked perfectly until a few days ago, when it suddenly just
quit. I'm interested in the Agent Ransack program -- although the Windows
search used to work fine, it was a pain in the neck.

Thanks again.

You're welcome!