Trying to share files between two XP systems

April 29, 2005 3:28:08 PM

I recently purchased two new XP systems. One will be used as a file
server/workstation and the other as a workstation. The file server has XP
Pro and the workstation has XP Home.
The file server is connected to the Internet and has an IP address. They
are both connected through a switch. The workstation does not have an IP and
will only be used to access files from the file server.
Can someone PLEASE tell me how to get the workstation to recognize the file
server. I've tried joining them both to a workgroup but they don't recognize
each other. The workstation doesn't need an IP so how can I make them see
each other?

More about : share files systems

Anonymous
April 29, 2005 11:53:27 PM

"ChilIns" <ChilIns@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

>I recently purchased two new XP systems. One will be used as a file
>server/workstation and the other as a workstation. The file server has XP
>Pro and the workstation has XP Home.
>The file server is connected to the Internet and has an IP address. They
>are both connected through a switch. The workstation does not have an IP and
>will only be used to access files from the file server.
>Can someone PLEASE tell me how to get the workstation to recognize the file
>server. I've tried joining them both to a workgroup but they don't recognize
>each other. The workstation doesn't need an IP so how can I make them see
>each other?

You will need to reconfigure your network to use the IPX/SPX protocol
in addition to TCP/IP.

Good luck.
Ron Martell Duncan B.C. Canada
--