BEWARE of using Updater program to update Treo600 firmware..

Last response: in Network Providers
May 19, 2004 2:43:52 AM

Just a warning for Treo 600 users with unlocked Treo 600 phones on the Fido
network (like me).

I attempted to update the firmware of my unlocked Treo 600 phone using the
following link:
http://www.palmone.com/us/support/downloads/treo/treo_6...
(http://tinyurl.com/3c356) and my previously unlocked Treo 600 phone became
locked. Since I have a Rogers SIM, I tested it and my previously unlocked
Treo 600 phone became locked to Rogers. During the updating process, the SIM
in my Treo 600 was my Fido SIM.

Since my phone was unlocked, I picked the "Other Carriers" entry:
http://www.palmone.com/us/support/downloads/treo/treo_6...
(http://tinyurl.com/2py5s)

Going to the following screen: http://tinyurl.com/ywgln it says that it
won't allow me to install the wrong version... well the version that I
downloaded did install without any errors and after following the
instructions my Treo 600 became locked.

I called PalmOne and they told me to call my service carrier. I informed
them that since I didn't buy the phone from them, they wouldn't be much
help. Even if I did buy the phone from my service provider, service
providers will generally not unlock the phones for customers. My service
provider by the way doesn't sell the Treo 600 phone.

If you have an unlocked phone, updating the firmware using this program
might lock your phone (like it did to me).

I'm now going to have to see if the company I purchased the phone from can
unlock it or whether PalmOne can help me (I placed a support request but I'm
not very optimistic that they will help me).
Anonymous
June 8, 2004 9:36:52 PM

I had the same problem but I managed to find a hacked firmware which
when applied, it unlocked my Treo 600 and gave me the functions of the
new firmware (microphone working, etc.).

I wish you all the luck with PalmOne technical support. You won't get
any help from them. The only thing that you will get from them is
aggravation. They don't seem to know anything about the Treo 600. When
I called them, they didn't even know what an unlocked GSM phone was.
They also told me to revert to the old firmware. If they told me how
to do this, it would be great especially when the firmware updater
doesn't back up your existing firmware before applying the new
firmware.

"Harry Eugene Ly" <consumers-get-bad-service@bigcompanies.com> wrote in message news:<KRzqc.97695$1f2.1182904@weber.videotron.net>...
> Just a warning for Treo 600 users with unlocked Treo 600 phones on the Fido
> network (like me).
>
> I attempted to update the firmware of my unlocked Treo 600 phone using the
> following link:
> http://www.palmone.com/us/support/downloads/treo/treo_6...
> (http://tinyurl.com/3c356) and my previously unlocked Treo 600 phone became
> locked. Since I have a Rogers SIM, I tested it and my previously unlocked
> Treo 600 phone became locked to Rogers. During the updating process, the SIM
> in my Treo 600 was my Fido SIM.
>
> Since my phone was unlocked, I picked the "Other Carriers" entry:
> http://www.palmone.com/us/support/downloads/treo/treo_6...
> (http://tinyurl.com/2py5s)
>
> Going to the following screen: http://tinyurl.com/ywgln it says that it
> won't allow me to install the wrong version... well the version that I
> downloaded did install without any errors and after following the
> instructions my Treo 600 became locked.
>
> I called PalmOne and they told me to call my service carrier. I informed
> them that since I didn't buy the phone from them, they wouldn't be much
> help. Even if I did buy the phone from my service provider, service
> providers will generally not unlock the phones for customers. My service
> provider by the way doesn't sell the Treo 600 phone.
>
> If you have an unlocked phone, updating the firmware using this program
> might lock your phone (like it did to me).
>
> I'm now going to have to see if the company I purchased the phone from can
> unlock it or whether PalmOne can help me (I placed a support request but I'm
> not very optimistic that they will help me).
Anonymous
June 28, 2004 4:24:45 AM

How did you unlock your Treo 600? Can you refer me to a URL?

invalid_jimpoon@hotmail.com (Jim Poon) wrote in message news:<c8b003bb.0406081636.7b29a59b@posting.google.com>...
> I had the same problem but I managed to find a hacked firmware which
> when applied, it unlocked my Treo 600 and gave me the functions of the
> new firmware (microphone working, etc.).
>
> I wish you all the luck with PalmOne technical support. You won't get
> any help from them. The only thing that you will get from them is
> aggravation. They don't seem to know anything about the Treo 600. When
> I called them, they didn't even know what an unlocked GSM phone was.
> They also told me to revert to the old firmware. If they told me how
> to do this, it would be great especially when the firmware updater
> doesn't back up your existing firmware before applying the new
> firmware.
>

> "Harry Eugene Ly" <consumers-get-bad-service@bigcompanies.com> wrote in message news:<KRzqc.97695$1f2.1182904@weber.videotron.net>...
> > Just a warning for Treo 600 users with unlocked Treo 600 phones on the Fido
> > network (like me).
> >
> > I attempted to update the firmware of my unlocked Treo 600 phone using the
> > following link:
> > http://www.palmone.com/us/support/downloads/treo/treo_6...
> > (http://tinyurl.com/3c356) and my previously unlocked Treo 600 phone became
> > locked. Since I have a Rogers SIM, I tested it and my previously unlocked
> > Treo 600 phone became locked to Rogers. During the updating process, the SIM
> > in my Treo 600 was my Fido SIM.
> >
> > Since my phone was unlocked, I picked the "Other Carriers" entry:
> > http://www.palmone.com/us/support/downloads/treo/treo_6...
> > (http://tinyurl.com/2py5s)
> >
> > Going to the following screen: http://tinyurl.com/ywgln it says that it
> > won't allow me to install the wrong version... well the version that I
> > downloaded did install without any errors and after following the
> > instructions my Treo 600 became locked.
> >
> > I called PalmOne and they told me to call my service carrier. I informed
> > them that since I didn't buy the phone from them, they wouldn't be much
> > help. Even if I did buy the phone from my service provider, service
> > providers will generally not unlock the phones for customers. My service
> > provider by the way doesn't sell the Treo 600 phone.
> >
> > If you have an unlocked phone, updating the firmware using this program
> > might lock your phone (like it did to me).
> >
> > I'm now going to have to see if the company I purchased the phone from can
> > unlock it or whether PalmOne can help me (I placed a support request but I'm
> > not very optimistic that they will help me).
June 29, 2004 8:14:02 PM

The 2 sites were forced by PalmOne to remove the unlock files and
hacked firmware from their website. However, if you log into the
following 2 sites (www.mytreo.net and/or www.treocentral.com), you can
probably get the necessary files by posting a private message in the
bulletin board. I got my files from www.mytreo.net before the website
was forced to remove the files from their site).

alan@novus-tele.net (Alan W.) wrote in message news:<5b58195b.0406272324.2c99da81@posting.google.com>...
> How did you unlock your Treo 600? Can you refer me to a URL?
>
> invalid_jimpoon@hotmail.com (Jim Poon) wrote in message news:<c8b003bb.0406081636.7b29a59b@posting.google.com>...
> > I had the same problem but I managed to find a hacked firmware which
> > when applied, it unlocked my Treo 600 and gave me the functions of the
> > new firmware (microphone working, etc.).
> >
> > I wish you all the luck with PalmOne technical support. You won't get
> > any help from them. The only thing that you will get from them is
> > aggravation. They don't seem to know anything about the Treo 600. When
> > I called them, they didn't even know what an unlocked GSM phone was.
> > They also told me to revert to the old firmware. If they told me how
> > to do this, it would be great especially when the firmware updater
> > doesn't back up your existing firmware before applying the new
> > firmware.
> >

> > "Harry Eugene Ly" <consumers-get-bad-service@bigcompanies.com> wrote in message news:<KRzqc.97695$1f2.1182904@weber.videotron.net>...
> > > Just a warning for Treo 600 users with unlocked Treo 600 phones on the Fido
> > > network (like me).
> > >
> > > I attempted to update the firmware of my unlocked Treo 600 phone using the
> > > following link:
> > > http://www.palmone.com/us/support/downloads/treo/treo_6...
> > > (http://tinyurl.com/3c356) and my previously unlocked Treo 600 phone became
> > > locked. Since I have a Rogers SIM, I tested it and my previously unlocked
> > > Treo 600 phone became locked to Rogers. During the updating process, the SIM
> > > in my Treo 600 was my Fido SIM.
> > >
> > > Since my phone was unlocked, I picked the "Other Carriers" entry:
> > > http://www.palmone.com/us/support/downloads/treo/treo_6...
> > > (http://tinyurl.com/2py5s)
> > >
> > > Going to the following screen: http://tinyurl.com/ywgln it says that it
> > > won't allow me to install the wrong version... well the version that I
> > > downloaded did install without any errors and after following the
> > > instructions my Treo 600 became locked.
> > >
> > > I called PalmOne and they told me to call my service carrier. I informed
> > > them that since I didn't buy the phone from them, they wouldn't be much
> > > help. Even if I did buy the phone from my service provider, service
> > > providers will generally not unlock the phones for customers. My service
> > > provider by the way doesn't sell the Treo 600 phone.
> > >
> > > If you have an unlocked phone, updating the firmware using this program
> > > might lock your phone (like it did to me).
> > >
> > > I'm now going to have to see if the company I purchased the phone from can
> > > unlock it or whether PalmOne can help me (I placed a support request but I'm
> > > not very optimistic that they will help me).
Anonymous
June 29, 2004 8:15:11 PM

!