External monitor stopped working aftre win 7 re-install

Dave471

Distinguished
Jun 26, 2010
Hello,
Some time ago my laptop (HP dv9000) screen was damaged and I hooked up an external monitor (HP 2000v) which worked fine when the laptop was running on Windows 7 upgraded from Vista.
Recently, I had some issues with the laptop having occasional blue screen crashes which seemed to be related to the Nvidia drivers. After installing new drivers it worked OK for a while but then crashed again. I read some articles that mentioned problems with Nvidia drivers when upgrading from Vista to W7 and recommending a custom install of W7. I backed up all data files and re-installed W7. The installation finished successfully but now the monitor doesn't work. I can't see enough on the damaged laptop screen to download and install new drivers (if that's what's needed, although it was working OK under W7 before the re-install). I've tried the Fn + F4 combination but nothing works.
Any ideas?
Thanks
Dave

I know it's difficult working in a damaged screen but can you see any signs of the Nvidia control centre?[/#000ff]

Dave471

Distinguished
Jun 26, 2010

Unfortunately not. There's only a 2-inch vertical strip visible on the extreme left of the laptop screen. I can't see the Nvidia control centre when I right click on the desktop and I don't see it in Control Panel either. I just noticed now that the display adapter in Device Manager is shown as a Standard VGA Graphics Adapter, not the Nvidia card...

That won't do then. If it helps, I'll work out the precise path to changing that, one keystroke a time and post it for you to do blind. I may not be able to do it today but it has been done before. If you can see the Update Driver button, try that first - it may trigger something positive.

Dave471

Distinguished
Jun 26, 2010

Thanks, that would help a lot. I did hit the Update Driver button, but it didn't seem to change anything ...unless it was displaying messages in the "hidden" part of the screen.

Dave471

Distinguished
Jun 26, 2010

I tried, but I just can't see enough on the screen to get through the driver download and installation process.
I think the only option is to get the laptop screen replaced and take it from there.
Thanks anyway.
Dave