External monitor stopped working aftre win 7 re-install

Hello,
Some time ago my laptop (HP dv9000) screen was damaged and I hooked up an external monitor (HP 2000v) which worked fine when the laptop was running on Windows 7 upgraded from Vista.
Recently, I had some issues with the laptop having occasional blue screen crashes which seemed to be related to the Nvidia drivers. After installing new drivers it worked OK for a while but then crashed again. I read some articles that mentioned problems with Nvidia drivers when upgrading from Vista to W7 and recommending a custom install of W7. I backed up all data files and re-installed W7. The installation finished successfully but now the monitor doesn't work. I can't see enough on the damaged laptop screen to download and install new drivers (if that's what's needed, although it was working OK under W7 before the re-install). I've tried the Fn + F4 combination but nothing works.
Any ideas?
Thanks
Dave
6 answers Last reply
More about external monitor stopped working aftre install
  1. Dave471 said:
    Hello,
    Some time ago my laptop (HP dv9000) screen was damaged and I hooked up an external monitor (HP 2000v) which worked fine when the laptop was running on Windows 7 upgraded from Vista.
    Recently, I had some issues with the laptop having occasional blue screen crashes which seemed to be related to the Nvidia drivers. After installing new drivers it worked OK for a while but then crashed again. I read some articles that mentioned problems with Nvidia drivers when upgrading from Vista to W7 and recommending a custom install of W7. I backed up all data files and re-installed W7. The installation finished successfully but now the monitor doesn't work. I can't see enough on the damaged laptop screen to download and install new drivers (if that's what's needed, although it was working OK under W7 before the re-install). I've tried the Fn + F4 combination but nothing works.
    Any ideas?
    Thanks
    Dave

[#0005ff]I know it's difficult working in a damaged screen but can you see any signs of the Nvidia control centre?[/#000ff]
  2. Saga Lout said:
    [#0005ff]I know it's difficult working in a damaged screen but can you see any signs of the Nvidia control centre?[/#000ff]

Unfortunately not. There's only a 2-inch vertical strip visible on the extreme left of the laptop screen. I can't see the Nvidia control centre when I right click on the desktop and I don't see it in Control Panel either. I just noticed now that the display adapter in Device Manager is shown as a Standard VGA Graphics Adapter, not the Nvidia card...
  3. Dave471 said:
    Unfortunately not. There's only a 2-inch vertical strip visible on the extreme left of the laptop screen. I can't see the Nvidia control centre when I right click on the desktop and I don't see it in Control Panel either. I just noticed now that the display adapter in Device Manager is shown as a Standard VGA Graphics Adapter, not the Nvidia card...

That won't do then. If it helps, I'll work out the precise path to changing that, one keystroke a time and post it for you to do blind. I may not be able to do it today but it has been done before. If you can see the Update Driver button, try that first - it may trigger something positive.

4. Saga Lout said:
    That won't do then. If it helps, I'll work out the precise path to changing that, one keystroke a time and post it for you to do blind. I may not be able to do it today but it has been done before. If you can see the Update Driver button, try that first - it may trigger something positive.

Thanks, that would help a lot. I did hit the Update Driver button, but it didn't seem to change anything ...unless it was displaying messages in the "hidden" part of the screen.
  5. Try pressing F8 whilst booting to get the boot options menu. Choose "Enable VGA mode". This may allow you to boot in a low resolution mode so that you can install the new drivers.
  6. Ijack said:
    Try pressing F8 whilst booting to get the boot options menu. Choose "Enable VGA mode". This may allow you to boot in a low resolution mode so that you can install the new drivers.

I tried, but I just can't see enough on the screen to get through the driver download and installation process.
    I think the only option is to get the laptop screen replaced and take it from there.
    Thanks anyway.
    Dave
Ask a new question

Read More

Drivers Laptops External Monitor Hewlett Packard Windows 7