Endureth

Distinguished
Jun 8, 2004
I have a new system. Gigabyte mb, athlon 64 300+, 1024 Kingston RAM, Radeon 9800 Pro. Playing Wolfenstein, this happens and I get a VPU Recover message.

http://home.comcast.net/~jwalkeriv/wolferror.JPG

It gives me this same problem in every single game I try to play. I can play for about a half hour before this happens. It's a amazing, the system can run everything smooth as silk at the highest settings, even FarCry, but after a while I get this.

Also, sometimes when trying to start a game, the screen will go black as if the game was loading, then I get dumped back to windows with the game minimized on the task bar. It then will not maximise again.

I have tried just about EVERYTHING I can think of. I have a GeForce FX 5900 SE and it does the same thing when I install that. I've installed the latest Catalyst Drivers 4.5 as well as the set that came with the card (3.9) still problems. Wolfenstein actually freezes from between 3-5 seconds periodically during play with the 4.5 drivers.

It's frustrating. What part of my computer would cause this? Am I overheating? I haven't overclocked anything. Could I have hooked something together wrong when I put the system together?

Any advice is welcome.

Endureth

scottchen

Splendid
Jun 3, 2003
Stop mixing drivers, use driver cleaner and remove all Nvidia drivers, and install the chipset drivers, then the latest cats. What are your temps?

<A HREF="http://forums.extremeoverclocking.com/myrig.php?do=view&id=17301" target="_new">My PC</A>

scottchen

Splendid
Jun 3, 2003
so you've formatted tried a card, then reinstalled tried the other card?

<A HREF="http://forums.extremeoverclocking.com/myrig.php?do=view&id=17301" target="_new">My PC</A>

cleeve

Illustrious
What are your case/cpu temps?

blackphoenix77

Distinguished
Jan 10, 2004
I don't know, I'm just posting for the sake of posting at this point.

<b><font color=red> ATI 9600Pro </font color=red></b>
<b><font color=green> AthlonXP-M 2500+ OC'd 3200+ </font color=green></b>
<b><font color=blue> Abit NF7-S </font color=blue></b>
<b><font color=black> 2x256MB Corsair PC3200 </font color=black></b>

cefoskey

Distinguished
Jan 20, 2003
looks like overheating

"Who is General Failure, and why is he reading my drive?"
P4 3.0 HT, Intel D865GBF, 512MB Crucial PC3200 DDR, WD 36GB Raptor 10,000RPM, BBA Radeon 9600PRO, SB Audigy, Hauppage WinTV

Slava

Distinguished
Mar 6, 2002
Try to see if it is indeed overheating: Remove the case cover to reduce ambient temps. Even if you don't have enough fans blowing at things in the case, removing the case cover will tremendously improve airflow. If the problem persists post back. We'll keep thinking and hopefully figure it out.

<font color=green>"The creative powers of English morphology are pathetic compared to what we find in other languages." (Steven Pinker, The Language Instinct)</font color=green> :cool:

Slava

Distinguished
Mar 6, 2002
Another thought. . . This is unlikely, but the situation is unusual. Check this just in case: some motherboards, like Abit have adjustable AGP voltage. If this is your case, make sure your AGP is set to 1.5 volts in the BIOS.

<font color=green>"The creative powers of English morphology are pathetic compared to what we find in other languages." (Steven Pinker, The Language Instinct)</font color=green> :cool:

Slava

Distinguished
Mar 6, 2002
Also, since the problem is the same with nV and ATI cards after a fresh install of drivers or OS reinstall, and assuming that there is no overheating, you <font color=red>may have a malfunctioning AGP port</font color=red>. If you don’t have another motherboard, try taking the system to your local computer store and swapping out your motherboard to see if it is the problem. Small neighborhood computer stores charge around $30-45 for diagnostics.