A friend of mine wants to buy a laptop for work, movies and internet surf, budget is about 500$ could go a bit higher too.
Here's what I know:
1. What is your budget? 500$+
2. What is the size of the notebook that you are considering? 15" preferably
3. What screen resolution do you want? whatever you recommend
4. Do you need a portable or desktop replacement laptop? portable
5. How much battery life do you need? the higher the better, isn't it?
6. Do you want to play games with your laptop? If so then please list the games that you want to with the settings that you want for these games. (Low,Medium or High)? she's not interested in playing games
7. What other tasks do you want to do with your laptop? (Photo/Video editing, Etc.) Only watching movies, internet surfing, mail and such
8. How much storage (Hard Drive capacity) do you need? I don't know I'll just take what you recommend.
9. If you are considering specific sites to buy from, please post their links. buying from a local store, so no.
10. How long do you want to keep your laptop? longest possible
11. What kind of Optical drive do you need? DVD ROM/Writer,Bluray ROM/Writer,Etc ? nothing more than DVD Burner
12. Please tell us about the brands that you prefer to buy from them and the brands that you don't like and explain the reasons. I don't know.. I have bad experience with HP laptops, but I don't know much about laptop brands or models, that's why I'm here.
13. What country do you live in? Israel, prices shouldn't be too far from other places but online deals are not an option.
Here is a link below to help your friend choose a laptop.
Because she is not really going to do any gaming a budget laptop might be a good place to start looking. If she wants a nice picture while watching movies then you will need to look at HD screens 1920 x 1080.