AGP or PCI express?

64bit_Tounament

Distinguished
Jun 9, 2004
I've waited for socket 939, I've waited for x800 and 6800 series graphics...
Do I wait for PCI express for graphics card? Will it give any real advantages over AGP 8x in an A64 / 939 / x800 or 6800 / plenty good RAM pure gaming machine?
I can't afford to build a rig like this very often so I want to get it right... I know I have to draw the line in the sand somewhere.... so do I draw it before or after PCI express x16?
I would appreciate any thoughts or viewpoints, thank you.

cefoskey

Distinguished
Jan 20, 2003
think of the little difference AGP 8X made versus 4X. I dont think we will see any cards really taking advantage of PCIX for a long long time. I really dont think that AGP is bottlenecking the cards right now, but I could be wrong.

Bottom line, i dont think youd be disappointed either way. Remember, some cards that use PCIX actually are just a bridged AGP model (nVidias bridge chip) while some are true PCIX!

"Who is General Failure, and why is he reading my drive?"
P4 3.0 HT, Intel D865GBF, 512MB Crucial PC3200 DDR, WD 36GB Raptor 10,000RPM, BBA Radeon 9600PRO, SB Audigy, Hauppage WinTV

64bit_Tounament

Distinguished
Jun 9, 2004
Thanx, thats given me more google search ideas... I do remember seeing some benchmarks of AGP 4x 8x comparisons showing minimal difference.
So maybe AGP8x is cool, at least until the x800 / 6800 becomes due for replacement. But will lack of PCI express be an upgrade preventer in 18 mnths/2 years?
By which time of course it will be more than just gfx update time... *sigh*
Hey, this is a cool as forum ... lots of good bits to read and helpful-for-us-beginers replies.

Thanks

G

If your motherboard lacks PCIEX, maybe that will limit your upgrade path but as you say, if you want to upgrade that vid card it probly wont be the only thing.
I think Agp8X is still fine for a few months...

Asus P4P800DX, P4C 2.6ghz@3.25ghz, 2X512 OCZ PC4000 3-3-3-8, Leadtek FX5900 w/ FX5950U bios@500/1000, 2X30gig Raid0

Will it give any real advantages over AGP 8x in an A64 / 939 / x800 or 6800 / plenty good RAM pure gaming machine?
Truth is no one knows. It might make a difference, but it's unlikely at this level, but card like the All-In-Wonder or Cinema Series may benifit from PCI-EX.

I am in a similar situation, and hav been waiting for 939 and PCI-EX for some time.

EPOC just announced that they will have a P4 based (not sure which socket 7-11/Formula 409?) which will have PCI-EX and AGP 8X slot AND it will also have DDR and DDR2 support. Hopefully (for us) some of the other board makers will decide to make a similar MOBO for the socket 939 and 754 AMD64s. My preference would be a Gigabyte, with a good integrated graphics to add to it.

So if you can't afford to build often and you think this is it for 1.5-3+ years, then wait for PCI-EX, and hopefully DDR2 as well.

If you will be rebuilding this time next year, then stick with AGP, and get the fastest rig you can with whatever features you need today.

So long term go with the PCI-EX for a NEW Build.

For Short Term or if you already have a good 'CURRENT' mobo, then stick with AGP. Over the next year it won't matter much, but by this time next year I can see there being a few bottle necks out there. Of course if you save money right now, maybe you can afford to semi-rebuild next year (choice parts), and that would offer you the best performance, as likely initial socket 939, PCI-EX and DDR2 performances may be less than optimal, and by next year the solutions will be refined and the standards will likely have been pretty much determined.

Talking about the future is always a crap-shoot though.

Just my two frames worth as usual.

- You need a licence to buy a gun, but they'll sell anyone a stamp <i>(or internet account)</i> ! - <font color=green>RED </font color=green> <font color=red> GREEN</font color=red> GA to SK :evil:

Willamette_sucks

Distinguished
Feb 24, 2002
BTW here at THGC you cannot change your user name... way to f*ck up the spelling on your USERNAME! HOLY SH*T THAT'S STUPID! OMGHAX LOL WTF ROFL BBQ!!!!!!!!!

Me: are you saying I can't provide?
Me: cause I know I can provide.
Me: oh and I can provide money too;)
Rachel:): why do we need money when we can just stay in our room and have sex all day?

blackphoenix77

Distinguished
Jan 10, 2004
Just PCI.

<b><font color=red> ATI 9600Pro </font color=red></b>
<b><font color=green> AthlonXP-M 2500+ OC'd 3200+ </font color=green></b>
<b><font color=blue> Abit NF7-S </font color=blue></b>
<b><font color=black> 2x256MB Corsair PC3200 </font color=black></b>

entium

Distinguished
May 23, 2004
William's an ass just ignore him doesn't know his ass from a hole in the ground.

Pci express motherboards are delayed :/. There isn't going to be a huge benifit from them till the 2nd or 3rd generation. Wouldn't bother with the upgrade at the moment. Stick with AGP its good for another 2 years at least.

phial

Splendid
Oct 29, 2002
williamette is my bitch, so back off !

-------
<A HREF="http://www.albinoblacksheep.com/flash/you.html" target="_new">please dont click here! </A>
<A HREF="http://www.subhi.com/keyboard.jpg" target="_new">This is you, interweb junky</A>

phial

Splendid
Oct 29, 2002
tahts right!

-------
<A HREF="http://www.albinoblacksheep.com/flash/you.html" target="_new">please dont click here! </A>
<A HREF="http://www.subhi.com/keyboard.jpg" target="_new">This is you, interweb junky</A>

G

Yeh, I also plan to run 32 bit os untill 64 bit software matures. Be interesting to use one machine to get a hands on feel for the gaming performance dif we get out of 64 bit.

Only regret (minor) I have about my first pc build
P4 2.4b
512 kingmax PC2700
GF4ti4400
i845PE
is that its agp slot is only 4x, which has put me off upgrading to a 9800 pro...
... then again, its also only 533 fsb cpu...

Hey, I'm learning about updating my hardware... a new mobo RAM cpu HDD GFX card every time to keep a balanced system... great industry...

So the impression I'm getting is, in a very general sense, unless I'm made of money ( HA! I wish ) then best I consider what I will be wanting in 1-2 yrs, rather than just wanting FASTEST! NOW!
Face up to the ongoing pace of hardware development huh?

I can see stuff like BTX and DDR2 as being too far off for me to wait for, PCIEX was the only remaining ? before I drew the line.

Now I'm thinking AGP8x, leave PCIEX to be a well matured thing when I upgrade next... appreciate your thoughts.

Ummm, can I ask for opinions on which is best, nVidia or ATI
or is that like a really fekin stoopid newbie question? Just jokin
*laughs*
*ducks*

cefoskey

Distinguished
Jan 20, 2003
Um, the 9800 pro would have been fine on that 4x slot.

Remember, AGP 8x has very little speed advantage over 4x. Most times its negligible.

"Who is General Failure, and why is he reading my drive?"
P4 3.0 HT, Intel D865GBF, 512MB Crucial PC3200 DDR, WD 36GB Raptor 10,000RPM, BBA Radeon 9600PRO, SB Audigy, Hauppage WinTV

G

Yeh, I was aware that the dif was usually minimal between 4x and 8x, but at the time I was considering it 9800 pro's werent cheap, and I could also see 64 bit and next gen gfx looming, so kept saving and skipped a generation ... quite glad I did now :)