Sega Model 2-C question (House of the Dead)

Anybody know what the minimum set of hardware required to test a House of
the Dead boardset is?

When swapping a different ROM board on a Model 2-C CRX is there anything
"special" that you need to do? I'm trying to test a couple HotD boardsets
in a Top Skater cab. I get:

TS= Top Skater
HotD = House of the Dead

TS motherboard + TS ROM board = works
HotD motherboard + HoTD ROM board = no boot (all LEDs on, static "quilt" of
color on screen)
HotD motherboard + TS ROM board = works
TS motherboard + HoTD ROM board = no boot (all LEDs on, static "quilt" of
color on screen)

I've tried two HotD ROM boards with the same results. The EPROMs check out
OK and I can swap the ROMs from the Top Skater ROM board and the HoTD ROM
board (and set the jumpers accordingly) and they both work fine. (So do
issues with any passives or buffers or anything on the ROM board that I can
think of.)

Do I need to have the Gun IO board connected?

Any ideas appreciated...

-Clay

Clay Cowgill wrote:
> Anybody know what the minimum set of hardware required to test a House of
> the Dead boardset is?

> Do I need to have the Gun IO board connected?

Yes, you need the gun I/O board for the system to come up. BTW, if
anyone has a spare (part # 837-12079), I could do with one!

Clive
---
Board repairs, EPROMs, servicing...

The Coin-Op Cauldron
405 Wild Wing Way
Easley, SC 29642
(864)238-1707
http://www.coinopcauldron.com

too bad Mark (UK) is awol... he'd know...

"Clay Cowgill" <c.cowgill@comcast.net> wrote in message
> Anybody know what the minimum set of hardware required to test a House of
> the Dead boardset is?
>
> When swapping a different ROM board on a Model 2-C CRX is there anything
> "special" that you need to do? I'm trying to test a couple HotD boardsets
> in a Top Skater cab. I get:
>
> TS= Top Skater
> HotD = House of the Dead
>
> TS motherboard + TS ROM board = works
> HotD motherboard + HoTD ROM board = no boot (all LEDs on, static "quilt"
> of
> color on screen)
> HotD motherboard + TS ROM board = works
> TS motherboard + HoTD ROM board = no boot (all LEDs on, static "quilt" of
> color on screen)
>
> I've tried two HotD ROM boards with the same results. The EPROMs check
> out
> OK and I can swap the ROMs from the Top Skater ROM board and the HoTD ROM
> board (and set the jumpers accordingly) and they both work fine. (So do
> issues with any passives or buffers or anything on the ROM board that I
> can
> think of.)
>
> Do I need to have the Gun IO board connected?
>
> Any ideas appreciated...
>
> -Clay

Yep, the game will not boot without the I/O gun board, the one from Virtua
Cop 2 is the same.. Chances of getting one by itself is slim, I know Jeff
Ferrier at Vektorlogic had them though, around £100 ($160) ea.

Regards

Andy

"Andrew Lewis" <Andrew.lewis5@ntlworld.com> wrote in message
> Yep, the game will not boot without the I/O gun board, the one from Virtua
> Cop 2 is the same.. Chances of getting one by itself is slim, I know Jeff
> Ferrier at Vektorlogic had them though, around £100 ($160) ea.

Ahhh, cool. Thank you gentlemen! I was just leaving that off because the
Top Skater didn't have the RS422 connector populated on the EMI board.
Luckily I do have a gun board. :) Guess I'll have to make some changes
there...

Thanks again,
-Clay

Andrew Lewis wrote:
> Yep, the game will not boot without the I/O gun board, the one from Virtua
> Cop 2 is the same.. Chances of getting one by itself is slim, I know Jeff
> Ferrier at Vektorlogic had them though, around £100 ($160) ea.

I tried Jeff before but with no luck, Andrew. I'll shoot him an e-mail
to see if he can help out now.

Clive
---