Monitor Problem

Ihab

Distinguished
Feb 15, 2003
Hi
I have been experiencing a very weird problem for the last couple of months.
While I am using my computer, the screen turns BLACK out of the blues. I tried to figure out this problem. I realized that my monitor just TURNS OFF as if I shut down my computer WHILE the computer is actually still working. And the monitor’s power indicator “green colored” keeps blinking (= power saving mode) instead of glowing green (= normal operation).
I tried the Power Options from the Control Panel and I set the “Turn off monitor”, “Turn off hard disks” and System standby to NEVER. But it didn’t solve the problem.
I used to have a CRT 17 inch LG Flatron ez T710BH. I recently bought an LCD Samsung SyncMaster 172t. And I still have the same problem, so it is obviously not related to the monitor.
My graphics card is ATI Radeon 9500 PRO.
One more thing which might be causing this hardware conflict … When I double click my surround mixer … It says “SB Audigy 2 [B000]” and sometimes “SB Audigy 2 [6000]”. Notice the “B” & the “6” … What could be possibly causing this?
I have a Creative Soundblaster Audigy 2 (6.1) and it works fine both ways.
Finally here is my full rig:
- GA-8KNXP motherboard 875P
- Intel Pentium 4 2.8C GHz with 800MHz FSB supporting HT
- Kingston Value RAM KVR400X64C3AK2/512 Dual Channel Memory
- Aopen case H500A with Q-TEC PSU 550WP
- Maxtor DiamondMax Plus 9 120 GB 7200 RPM ATA/133 2MB buffer
- Seagate U series ST340810A 40GB 5400 RPM Ultra ATA/100 2MB Buffer (my old hard drive)
- ATI Radeon 9500 PRO 128 MB AGP 8X/4X BUS
- Creative Sound Blaster Audigy 2
- Liteon 48x24x48x CD-RW & 16X DVD-ROM Combo
- Asus 52x CD-ROM (my old CD-ROM)
- D-Link PCI 56k Modem
- Thomson SpeedTouch 330 DSL Modem (USB)
- Creative Inspire 6.1 6600 Speakers
- Microsoft Wireless Optical Desktop (Keyboard & Mouse)
- Samsung SyncMaster 172t.
Any help would be greatly appreciated concerning the monitor and the sound card problem.

Slava

Distinguished
Mar 6, 2002
1. Does your monitor support resolutions/refresh rates you are imposing on it?
2. If it does, browse the monitor manufacturer’s site for possible solutions. Emailing their tech support does not hurt either.
3. If this does not help, back up your user files/save game files and format your C:\ followed by OS and all drivers (including monitor drivers, if any) reinstall.
4. If all of the above fails, SELL your LCD and get a CRT! :smile:

<font color=green>"The creative powers of English morphology are pathetic compared to what we find in other languages." (Steven Pinker, The Language Instinct)</font color=green> :cool:

Ihab

Distinguished
Feb 15, 2003
I am using 1280 x 1024 pixels @60Hertz. And this is supposed to be the standard resolution and refresh rate for a 17 inch LCD.
I still have my old CRT ... and as i said ... i am experiencing the same problem with both monitors the CRT and the flat panel. So since it occurred with both monitors, it is most probably a problem with my graphics card .... So how could it be solved?

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
Maybe you have a power off timer set in BIOS?

<font color=blue>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to a hero as big as Crashman!</font color=blue>
<font color=red>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to an ego as large as Crashman's!</font color=red>

blackphoenix77

Distinguished
Jan 10, 2004
You should just return it or something.

<b><font color=red> ATI 9600Pro </font color=red></b>
<b><font color=green> AthlonXP-M 2500+ OC'd 3200+ </font color=green></b>
<b><font color=blue> Abit NF7-S </font color=blue></b>
<b><font color=black> 2x256MB Corsair PC3200 </font color=black></b>

cefoskey

Distinguished
Jan 20, 2003
No, he said his problem is with the card since it happens on either screen. I suggest trying a different video card and seeing if that really is the problem, not just some software configuration error. If it is indeed your card I would make sure its not overheating, plus be sure your power supply is working properly. The 9500 PRO had a separate power connector if I am not mistaken.

"Who is General Failure, and why is he reading my drive?"
P4 3.0 HT, Intel D865GBF, 512MB Crucial PC3200 DDR, WD 36GB Raptor 10,000RPM, BBA Radeon 9600PRO, SB Audigy, Hauppage WinTV