It it possible to run a space duel pcb in an asteroids cab?

Sure...go for it..

totally different power supply,
totally different monitor,
totally differant connectors.

Plug it in.....see what happens...have the fire department standing
by....

On Mon, 18 Apr 2005 23:02:05 +0100, "simon"
<simonjhanlon@btopenworld.com> wrote:

>Can I connect the colour outputs together in some way to view the image in
>Black and white?

Simon

Distinguished
Feb 16, 2001

that wasn't my question! I know the monitor is different I also know the
audio/power board is different as I have one for space duel and I know you
can't just it in!!!! But it should be possible to view the game in black and
white as you can run asteroids on a colour vector monitor no problem. A
sensible answer would be nice
<ArcadeNO@SPAMshaw.ca> wrote in message
> Sure...go for it..
>
> totally different power supply,
> totally different monitor,
> totally differant connectors.
>
> Plug it in.....see what happens...have the fire department standing
> by....
>
> On Mon, 18 Apr 2005 23:02:05 +0100, "simon"
> <simonjhanlon@btopenworld.com> wrote:
>
> >Can I connect the colour outputs together in some way to view the image
in
> >Black and white?

ok..

NO.

On Mon, 18 Apr 2005 23:43:55 +0100, "simon"
<simonjhanlon@btopenworld.com> wrote:

>that wasn't my question! I know the monitor is different I also know the
>audio/power board is different as I have one for space duel and I know you
>can't just it in!!!! But it should be possible to view the game in black and
>white as you can run asteroids on a colour vector monitor no problem. A
>sensible answer would be nice
><ArcadeNO@SPAMshaw.ca> wrote in message
>> Sure...go for it..
>>
>> totally different power supply,
>> totally different monitor,
>> totally differant connectors.
>>
>> Plug it in.....see what happens...have the fire department standing
>> by....
>>
>> On Mon, 18 Apr 2005 23:02:05 +0100, "simon"
>> <simonjhanlon@btopenworld.com> wrote:
>>
>> >Can I connect the colour outputs together in some way to view the image
>in
>> >Black and white?

OK... Let's see if we can be a little more helpful....

1) The connector's pinouts are totally different. You would have to make
some sort of adapter.

2) Space Duel requires +22 and -22v. The Asteroids power supply doesn't
provide that. You would need to incorporate an ARII from a Space Duel (or
compatible) as well as the transformer block it plugs-in to. You would need
to keep the Asteroids power block as well as the monitor is powered off of
that.

3) It is possible to run a color vector game on a b&w vector monitor. Check
out appendix C in the following doc:
http://www.ionpool.net/arcade/tech/bw_vector_monitor_faq.pdf

So, to answer your question more politely, it can be done but it would
require a lot of effort/parts.

Good luck!
-roy-

> ok..
>
> NO.
>

> On Mon, 18 Apr 2005 23:43:55 +0100, "simon"
> <simonjhanlon@btopenworld.com> wrote:
>
>>that wasn't my question! I know the monitor is different I also know the
>>audio/power board is different as I have one for space duel and I know you
>>can't just it in!!!! But it should be possible to view the game in black
>>and
>>white as you can run asteroids on a colour vector monitor no problem. A
>>sensible answer would be nice
>><ArcadeNO@SPAMshaw.ca> wrote in message
>>> Sure...go for it..
>>>
>>> totally different power supply,
>>> totally different monitor,
>>> totally differant connectors.
>>>
>>> Plug it in.....see what happens...have the fire department standing
>>> by....

>>in

Simon if you have a dual trace oscilloscope set for X-Y you should be
able to see the video output.

On Mon, 18 Apr 2005 23:43:55 +0100, "simon"
<simonjhanlon@btopenworld.com> wrote:

>that wasn't my question! I know the monitor is different I also know the
>audio/power board is different as I have one for space duel and I know you
>can't just it in!!!! But it should be possible to view the game in black and
>white as you can run asteroids on a colour vector monitor no problem. A
>sensible answer would be nice
><ArcadeNO@SPAMshaw.ca> wrote in message
>> Sure...go for it..
>>
>> totally different power supply,
>> totally different monitor,
>> totally differant connectors.
>>
>> Plug it in.....see what happens...have the fire department standing
>> by....
>>
>> On Mon, 18 Apr 2005 23:02:05 +0100, "simon"
>> <simonjhanlon@btopenworld.com> wrote:
>>
>> >Can I connect the colour outputs together in some way to view the image
>in
>> >Black and white?

Kineplex Systems of Lima, Ohio
http://www.kineplex.com

<ArcadeNO@SPAMshaw.ca> wrote in message
> Sure...go for it..
>
> totally different power supply,
> totally different monitor,
> totally differant connectors.
>
> Plug it in.....see what happens...have the fire department standing
> by....

thats a really harsh answer - ever dawn on you that perhaps he has 2
cabinets, will have them side by side with their own power supplies running
the appropriate boards and monitors, and he will use jumpers for the vector
signals?

Art

simon <simonjhanlon@btopenworld.com> wrote:
: Can I connect the colour outputs together in some way to view the image in
: Black and white?

Not without a signficant amount of hacking.

The biggest issue is that asteroids runs on 22VAC, and space duel runs on
DC...

--
Mark Spaeth mspaeth@mtl.mit.edu
50 Vassar St., #38.265 mspaeth@mit.edu

The easiest way that I can see to do this is to go for one of Zonns
Zektor boards and run Vectormame on your Asteroids PSU and monitor.
I've had SD up and running on a G05 805 and it looked and played fine
(as did Major Havoc!).

DanP

simon <simonjhanlon@btopenworld.com> wrote:
: Can I connect the colour outputs together in some way to view the image in
: Black and white?

Assumeing you've already taken care of the voltage issues everyone else is
bringing up:

You don't need to combine them. There is a Z testpoint on the board that
gives you a BW intensity value.

The board doesn't actually generate 3 different color signals. It generates
a single color intensity (the Z), then hooks that signal up to one or more of
the color guns to generate 7 colors.

What it can't do is mix, say 100% blue with 30% yellow for a different shade
of green than 30% blue and 100% yellow.

http://www.westnet.com/

Simon

Distinguished
Feb 16, 2001

Yes I have the power issues sorted as I have the AR11 and edge connector to
rewire. It was just the output for the vector monitor I was curious about. I
have seen colour boards connected to scopes before so I saw no reason why I
couldn't run my space duel on my 19" B&W. Is it true that Tempest was
originally designed to be B&W?

Thanks very much for the info Esp. the Z out Tip.

Simon
"Christopher X. Candreva" <chris@westnet.com> wrote in message
> simon <simonjhanlon@btopenworld.com> wrote:
> : Can I connect the colour outputs together in some way to view the image
in
> : Black and white?
>
> Assumeing you've already taken care of the voltage issues everyone else is
> bringing up:
>
> You don't need to combine them. There is a Z testpoint on the board that
> gives you a BW intensity value.
>
> The board doesn't actually generate 3 different color signals. It
generates
> a single color intensity (the Z), then hooks that signal up to one or more
of
> the color guns to generate 7 colors.
>
> What it can't do is mix, say 100% blue with 30% yellow for a different
shade
> of green than 30% blue and 100% yellow.

> Chris Candreva -- chris@westnet.com -- (914) 967-7816
> WestNet Internet Services of Westchester
> http://www.westnet.com/

Simon

Distinguished
Feb 16, 2001

So here is what I have. An upright Asteroids, I actually have the Cabaret
and the cocktial games too hence a new game to play. An AR2 from a
Battlezone and a space duel PCB. so If I run the Asteroids Monitor from its
PSU and put the AR2 in place of the AR1 and then make up a harness to bring
the correct voltages/ Controls to the SD PCB. All I need to do then is
connect the X/Y Out to the monitior X/Y and the Z out test pin on the SD to
the Z on the monitor and I should be fine.....Right?
"Christopher X. Candreva" <chris@westnet.com> wrote in message
> simon <simonjhanlon@btopenworld.com> wrote:
> : Can I connect the colour outputs together in some way to view the image
in
> : Black and white?
>
> Assumeing you've already taken care of the voltage issues everyone else is
> bringing up:
>
> You don't need to combine them. There is a Z testpoint on the board that
> gives you a BW intensity value.
>
> The board doesn't actually generate 3 different color signals. It
generates
> a single color intensity (the Z), then hooks that signal up to one or more
of
> the color guns to generate 7 colors.
>
> What it can't do is mix, say 100% blue with 30% yellow for a different
shade
> of green than 30% blue and 100% yellow.

> Chris Candreva -- chris@westnet.com -- (914) 967-7816
> WestNet Internet Services of Westchester
> http://www.westnet.com/

simon <simonjhanlon@btopenworld.com> wrote:

: the correct voltages/ Controls to the SD PCB. All I need to do then is
: connect the X/Y Out to the monitior X/Y and the Z out test pin on the SD to
: the Z on the monitor and I should be fine.....Right?

Yes.

I would also check that the transformer designed for an AR1 is compatible
with an AR2

http://www.westnet.com/

Simon

Distinguished
Feb 16, 2001

will do. Cheers
> simon <simonjhanlon@btopenworld.com> wrote:
>
> : the correct voltages/ Controls to the SD PCB. All I need to do then is
> : connect the X/Y Out to the monitior X/Y and the Z out test pin on the SD
> : the Z on the monitor and I should be fine.....Right?
>
> Yes.
>
> I would also check that the transformer designed for an AR1 is compatible
> with an AR2

> Chris Candreva -- chris@westnet.com -- (914) 967-7816
> WestNet Internet Services of Westchester
> http://www.westnet.com/

TRENDING THREADS