bad 3dmark scores

TripleThreat

Distinguished
Jun 10, 2004
I just built a new system and am getting terrible 3dmark03 scores, I think I scored about 100. my 3dmark01 scores were around 10000. I'm also getting subpar performance on games that used to run fine on a slower system with the same video card.

My new system is:
AMD athlon64 3200
MSI K8Tneo
1gb corsair xms matched modules
2 x wd 80gbse
geforce4 ti4200 64mb

I know the video card is the weak point in my system, and am contemplating upgrading it but funds are tight right now. Anyone have any ideas what I can do to fix the situation.

P.S. I am running the newest chipset drivers for the mb, and the latest nvidia drivers.

You won't get high 3Dmk03 scores with a GF4ti, it doesn't support enough features to run all the tests, nor run them quickly. Don't expect anywhere near your old results, it's a different benchmark with a new zero point and scale.

100 would be low though. Post a link to your scores it will show us what the settings are and where there are performance gaps. If it's around a coupla hundred, it may be normal (usually see around 1,000 for GF4TIs).

- You need a licence to buy a gun, but they'll sell anyone a stamp <i>(or internet account)</i> ! - <font color=green>RED </font color=green> <font color=red> GREEN</font color=red> GA to SK :evil:

blackphoenix77

Distinguished
Jan 10, 2004
Thats because you have a shitty graphics card.

<b><font color=red> ATI 9600Pro </font color=red></b>
<b><font color=green> AthlonXP-M 2500+ OC'd 3200+ </font color=green></b>
<b><font color=blue> Abit NF7-S </font color=blue></b>
<b><font color=black> 2x256MB Corsair PC3200 </font color=black></b>

confoundicator

Distinguished
Feb 15, 2002
I wouldn't call it a shitty graphics card, just old. If you can live without all the bells and whistles it should run even the newest games just fine at 1024x768 32 bit color. Just no AF, no AA, no trilinear filtering, etc...

I play Star Wars Galaxies and UT2K4 all the time on a system with this card (and CPU/Mobo/RAM that is inferior to the original poster's) and the games are perfectly playable, just not as pretty as a 9800 Pro.

He that but looketh on a plate of ham and eggs to lust after it, hath already committed breakfast with it in his heart. -C.S. Lewis

TripleThreat

Distinguished
Jun 10, 2004
I do appreciate the constructive criticism of my crappy video card. What processor did your sig say you have again oh yea.

To everyone else thank you for your replies. I've got a few things i'm going to try, from what I can tell that card should be scoring better than a 100, its not that old. However I will probably purchase a new video card in the late summer. I'll bide my time for just the right moment to upgrade.

Don't let poor 3Dmk03 scores make you upgrade.

Upgrade when the games you're playing aren't playing/looking good.

But remember even an R9800 poorly setup will not perform well, so there may be something else going on.

- You need a licence to buy a gun, but they'll sell anyone a stamp <i>(or internet account)</i> ! - <font color=green>RED </font color=green> <font color=red> GREEN</font color=red> GA to SK :evil: