PCI-Express closer than we thought?

DonnieDarko

Distinguished
Mar 25, 2004
<A HREF="http://www.theinquirer.net/?article=16484" target="_new">http://www.theinquirer.net/?article=16484</A>
Seems like we may have pci-express boards as soon as the 21 of june. I wonder if it's really going to be worth it. I figure the difference between agp and pci-ex wiln't be felt till at least a year from now. Why pay awhole lot now for a pci-ex board when you can wait for it too be cheaper when it's necessary?

blackphoenix77

Distinguished
Jan 10, 2004
I doubt it will be worth it until atleast next year, and that we won't see the end of AGP cards and motherboards for another 2-3 years atleast.

<b><font color=red> ATI 9600Pro </font color=red></b>
<b><font color=green> AthlonXP-M 2500+ OC'd 3200+ </font color=green></b>
<b><font color=blue> Abit NF7-S </font color=blue></b>
<b><font color=black> 2x256MB Corsair PC3200 </font color=black></b>

If you're buying a new mobo, it doesn't make sense to buy a socket 939 solution looking towards the future and then hobble it with legacy PCI and AGP slots.

Nothing pressing/critical now, if you're starting fresh now, makes more sense to me.

- You need a licence to buy a gun, but they'll sell anyone a stamp <i>(or internet account)</i> ! - <font color=green>RED </font color=green> <font color=red> GREEN</font color=red> GA to SK :evil:

ecar016

Distinguished
Mar 3, 2002
I beg to differ...There is a non-graphical application which will instantly benefit from PCIe (and no its not HDTV) peer to peer ethernet will increase efficiency tremendously! When you connect via tcp/ip you can connect and transfer theoreticly at 100mbps but the sustained data transfer rate is quite a bit slower....especially if your system is doing other things. With PCIe the ethernet connect has its own simutaneous 2 way connection. This will benefit business users and will drive sales in a big way from HP and dells.

I expect early adoption of PCIe on the business side from OEMs. ATI and Nvidia may capitalize with PCIe chipsets. If business backs PCIe largely.....expect AGP to go the way of the dodo really fast.

EC

<font color=red> Quantum Computers! - very interesting </font color=red>

The_I

Distinguished
Oct 15, 2003
At least for the not so early adopters I think PCI-express is a good reason not to buy an AGP-card at all! For example I plan to upgrade my CPU/Motherboard/RAM within the next year, and yes, graphics card as well. I've been considering upgrading the graphics card a little earlier as the rest of my system seems pretty harmonic, but the problem is that with the situation right now I can be pretty certain that whatever graphics card I use now won't be compatible with my next system!
At least, as far as I know, that future Intel chipsets like 915p/g and 925x (and those are what are important to me) won't support proper AGP. Some motherboards will have the slot but, as far as I know, it will be on the PCI-bus, connected to the south-bridge, which sounds bad to me...

So as I see it this pretty much means that I'll have to upgrade gfx-card and the rest of the system together. If you're to make any long-term investment in an AGP-card you need to be certain that you can live with your motherboard in an equally long term.

So adapting to pci-express makes some sense if you need to future-proof your hardware, maybe not because it's a better standard (for graphics at least) but because AGP won't be around that long...

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
LOL, no. We already have Gigabit ethernet, and Intel provides a 2 gigabit bus for their controller. Meanwhile nVidia integrates gigabit ethernet into their chipset. No need for PCI-Express simply to make gigabit ethernet perform.

<font color=blue>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to a hero as big as Crashman!</font color=blue>
<font color=red>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to an ego as large as Crashman's!</font color=red>