Start > Search causes freeze up.

Hi all,
I'm running Win XP Pro. A7N8X Deluxe Motherboard, Athlon 2500+, 1 G Dual
Channel Ram, Ati 9600 Pro video,
For the past few days, whenever I go to Start > Search the system freezes
for a minute or so and then unlocks but the search function never starts.
I'ver scanned with Adaware, Spybot, and MS Spyware. I've also reinstalled
video drivers. I've searched around and found a few similar problems but no
solutions.
Any ideas?
Thanks
Gary

sharon

My computer will not do a Start > Search either. Windows Task Manager shows
2 lines of 'not responding' when attempting to search. This problem seemed
to start after the last Windows update just a few days ago, which incidently,
hung. Can I uninstall and reinstall the update hoping that will solve the
problem? Any other suggestions?
--
Sharon