Sign in with
Your question

new pc w/xp, old w/win98

Last response: in Windows XP
July 9, 2003 9:29:04 PM

I'm soon to be building a pc for the first time (with much help from THG forums) and I'm going to install XP on the new HD, my first time with that OS. My current win98 box has 2 hds. My plan is to first install all 3 hds (new fast hd as master) in the new system in order to copy data (not progs) from old to new, then return at least one of the old drives to my old box, format and reinstall win98 for my wife, time for a new clean registry on that one. Similarly, I will be using her old win95 hd to transfer files to her new (my old system).

Any problems I should anticipate? Which settings -- IE, OE, Word, WordPerfect, etc. should I export in advance to import into the new OS of each box? Any reason why this won't work the way I intend? Many thanks.

More about : win98

July 9, 2003 10:51:20 PM

Transferring Win98 to XP no problems, you may run into problems transferring 95 to 98 if 95 is FAT16 and 98 is FAT32, which it should be, I mainly addressed this post to make you aware of a performance factor you may be getting into with transfer speeds, your new hardrive will probably be either ATA 100 or 133, do not put a slower drive on the same IDE channel, say an ATA 100 and an ATA 66 or 33, which may be the case with older hardrives, you'll get severe performance lag in these instances. Also WinXP will only run DMA on DVDROM drives and CDRW drives, a regular CDROM drive XP will only run in PIO mode, an ideal setup, if you'll only be running the Primary and Secondary IDE ports only, is to have Primary IDE, Your (new fast hardrive as master)only on that port, and on the Secondary IDE, CDRW as Master, DVDROM as Slave or the slower Hardrive.

<b><font color=purple>Details, Details, Its all in the Details, If you need help, Don't leave out the Details.</font color=purple></b>
July 10, 2003 3:36:09 AM

What about from Win98 (FAT32) - WinXP (NTFS)
Is there any problem here?

"I Don't Got It,
Cause You Didn't Get It" - Anonymous
Related resources
July 10, 2003 3:57:16 AM

What would be the best configuration for 2 HDD's, say 7200 and 5400 RPM, and two optical drives, a reader and a burner?

-Just curious

<font color=blue>Insanity is doing the same thing over and over again and expecting a different result. -Einstein</font color=blue>
July 11, 2003 12:14:23 AM

No Problem, I'm dual booting Win98SE and WinXP Pro, each system independently on its own hardrive, and use XP to transfer both ways, XP sees both drives, Win98SE is FAT32, WinXP is NTFS, the Win98 hardrive cannot see the WinXP drive with the NTFS file system, but the WinXP has been able to transfer files from NTFS to FAT32 and vice versa.

Now what I'm talking about here is files like Pictures, Videos, Documents, Audio, MP3s ETC. but any programs you have on FAT32 that require the DOS environment to run in, you will not be able to transfer.

<b><font color=purple>Details, Details, Its all in the Details, If you need help, Don't leave out the Details.</font color=purple></b><P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by 4ryan6 on 07/10/03 08:32 PM.</EM></FONT></P>
July 11, 2003 12:26:13 AM

The drive speed is not as important as the transfer rate, I've got a 5400RPM ATA100 Maxtor drive, and a 7200RPM ATA100 Maxtor, if both are ATA100 transfer rate they can run on the same channel with no problems, even with different RPMs.

Quote:
What would be the best configuration for 2 HDD's, say 7200 and 5400 RPM, and two optical drives, a reader and a burner?

Be more specific Please?
7200RPM------------ATA what?
5400RPM------------ATA what?
Reader-----------------what?
Burner-----------------what?

<b><font color=purple>Details, Details, Its all in the Details, If you need help, Don't leave out the Details.</font color=purple></b>
July 11, 2003 1:29:06 AM

My real question is if there is a better way to set up my system than the way I have it, as far as performance goes. It works fine the way it is, could it work better?

Mobo: Abit KR7A (KT266A chipset)
Primary IDE: Master: 7200RPM Maxtor - ATA133/100
Primary IDE: Slave: 56x Acer CD ROM - ATA133/100
Secondary IDE: Master: <i>Old</i> 5400RPM Fujitsu - ATA4 (UDMA - 66MB/s)
Secondary IDE: Slave: 48x16x48x MSI CD Burner - ATA133/100

Like I said, I'm having no problems now. I'm just curious if you would have done anything different. :cool:

<font color=blue>Insanity is doing the same thing over and over again and expecting a different result. -Einstein</font color=blue>
July 11, 2003 12:46:19 PM

Yes loose the CDROM drive from the Primary IDE it transfers at ATA33 not ATA133/100, there are no CDROM drives on the market that transfer at the transfer rate you've posted, you can load whatever you need through the CDRW, which also transfers at ATA33, but will run in DMA mode in WINXP, by default, where the CDROM drive will not, you'll see a big performance boost, you don't need the CDROM drive, I know since you pulled out money to buy the thing its hard to give it up, but its a performance lag especially in WINXP. It will be a performance lag with any OP/SYS on the same IDE as your fast hardrive, the simplest way to explain the lag is your M/Bs chipset has to switch from ATA133 to ATA33 to accomadate both transfer rates, thus slowing your system, while WINXP will default the CDROM drive to run in PIO mode further slowing your system, and sometimes, if WinXP encounters problems, it will turn DMA off on your faster Hardrive, because of the CDROM drive being in the chain, WinXP defaults the CDROM drive to run in PIO transfer mode. Heres a link to a Microsoft article on this subject.

<A HREF="http://www.microsoft.com/whdc/hwdev/tech/storage/IDE-DM..." target="_new">http://www.microsoft.com/whdc/hwdev/tech/storage/IDE-DM...;/A>

Even though this article ends in a work around, I still suggest loosing the CDROM drive and only running the fast hardrive on the Primary IDE by itself as Master.

Heres another article that shows hardrive placement optimization, in relation to CDROM and optical drives, its about 2/3 down into the article, you have to have the Adobe Acrobat reader, to view it, its a PDF file, the reader is free at <A HREF="http://www.adobe.com" target="_new">http://www.adobe.com&lt;/A>, if you don't have the Adobe Reader.

<A HREF="http://www.maxtor.com/en/documentation/white_papers/dmp..." target="_new">http://www.maxtor.com/en/documentation/white_papers/dmp...;/A>

<b><font color=purple>Details, Details, Its all in the Details, If you need help, Don't leave out the Details.</font color=purple></b><P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by 4ryan6 on 07/11/03 09:16 PM.</EM></FONT></P>
July 11, 2003 5:33:09 PM

What about all the software I currently run on 98. (Word97, WordPerfect 9, EZCD 4 -- and a zillion more). How do I discover which I might need to upgrade or replace to function properly under XP? I wonder if there is a little shareware program that can make a survey of my current setup to tell me what won't work under XP?
July 11, 2003 9:48:25 PM

I've found any of my programs that was labeled to work with Win2K, would also work with WinXP, those programs usually have update patches available at the software developers website, specifically for WinXP, that can be applied after the install of the original program. From my experience if WinXP can't run it, it won't let you install it.

July 12, 2003 12:03:40 AM

Thanks for the info, I think I need a tertiary IDE controller (and maybe a quaternary too). :cool:

I copy a lot of CD's, so I want to keep both optical drives. Would a better setup be:

Primary Master: Maxtor 7200
Primary Slave: Fujitsu 5400
Secondary Master: CD Reader
Secondary Slave: CD Burner

If not then what would be the optimal configuration without losing (or loosing) anything. :cool:

Highest priority is performance in games.

Incidentally, the Fujitsu contains only documents, no programs. Also, almost all of the games I play have no-CD cracks in place (if that makes any difference).

<font color=blue>Insanity is doing the same thing over and over again and expecting a different result.
-Einstein</font color=blue><P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by confoundicator on 07/11/03 05:16 PM.</EM></FONT></P>
July 12, 2003 1:42:28 AM

You've never actually said you were definitely running WinXP, if you are this is what I suggest to you.
Transfer the info from the Fujitsu to the Maxtor.
Remove the Fujitsu and the CDROM drive, you can still copy CDs using the CDRW as the Reader and Writer creating a hardrive image, all CDRWs will do that.
WinXP Setup:
Primary Master = 7200RPM Maxtor ATA133
Primary Slave = Nothing (or a second ATA133 hardrive, same transfer speed)
Secondary Master = CDRW (Always set the CDRW as Master)
Secondary Slave = Nothing (or get a DVDROM drive which WinXP will run in DMA mode)

Win98,Win98SE,WinME Setup:
Primary Master = 7200RPM Maxtor ATA133
Primary Slave = Nothing
Secondary Master = CDRW
Secondary Slave = CDROM

July 12, 2003 4:24:25 AM

Yeah, I'm running XP Pro service pack 1, all updates. So now I have to get rid of <i>two</i> pieces of hardware? If I ask any more questions all I'll have left is a motherboard and a monitor. :cool:

Again, thanks for the info. I think I might compromise and get rid of the slow hard drive but keep the CD reader as the slave on the secondary IDE. Like I said I copy a lot of CD's and it just saves time copying directly. Spending money wasn't the goal here, even though I would love a 120GB HDD and I'll prolly end up getting a DVD reader (they're so damn cheap!).

Good enough?
Primary Master: Maxtor 7200
Primary Slave: Empty
Secondary Master: CDR-W
Secondary Slave: CD reader

<font color=blue>Insanity is doing the same thing over and over again and expecting a different result.
-Einstein</font color=blue>
July 12, 2003 11:33:41 AM

You don't need a shareware program to tell you which programs will run under Win XP. Just use the WinXP CDROM disk and instead of installing it, select "perform other tasks" it will run a program to check the compatibility of your apps with WinXP
July 12, 2003 2:10:09 PM

If you're keeping the CDROM, check out the article link I posted further up to Microsoft, it tells you how to manually activate DMA on the drive, otherwise WinXP Pro will default it to PIO mode and your CDRW possibly also, being on the same channel.

July 12, 2003 7:52:53 PM

Once more, thanks for the info. I now have the Maxtor by itself on the primary and the two optical drives on the secondary in DMA mode 2.

I also found out the Fujitsu supports DMA mode 4, but I backed it up and yanked it anyway.

Ciao

July 13, 2003 12:24:21 AM

You should be able to notice the performance difference, especially in games.

July 13, 2003 4:27:59 AM

Well I've been playing Unreal II and Postal 2 all day, and I saw some definite improvements. Most notably the load times between areas in both games is considerably shorter. The system also seems to have a little more "pep" in general.

BTW, Postal 2 is a HOOT!

July 14, 2003 1:07:58 AM

I'm happy for you, it feels good to help someone get more performance out of their machines, BTW this Postal 2 game, what is it, and what are the objectives of the game?

July 16, 2003 5:16:40 AM

It's a warped, twisted game that makes Vice City look tame. Not for the politically correct.

Rather than describe it, here:
<A HREF="http://www.gopostal.com/postal2/" target="_new">http://www.gopostal.com/postal2/&lt;/A>

I found this at the bottem of the page: "This site has been blocked by Cyber Patrol, Net Nanny, Surf Watch & Bess." :cool:

!