Your question

Cooling a poorly designed netbook

Tags:
  • Cooling
  • Netbooks
  • Laptops
Last response: in Laptop General Discussion
July 13, 2012 1:47:53 AM

So, I have an AMD C-60 APU in an Acer Aspire One AO-722 11.6" netbook. I'm having a problem with temperatures. I usually idle around 60c, but now that's summer the temperatures are a lot warmer. Just yesterday, browsing the web, my temps were around 79-81c. This is concerning since I also like to game, particularly Rome: Total War, and I'm thinking about getting TF2 installed as well. I know the max temp threshold is 90, which I can easily pass running Furmark and Prime96 simultaneously in an AC'd coffee shop.

I am on a netbook cooler, but I don't use the fan since I haven't found any intake vents, just a single dinky exhaust vent on the left side that's about the width of the VGA port.

Does anyone have creative tips for keeping my temps lower? Or am I just screwed with temps?

It should also be noted that I replaced the 5400RPM HDD with a Crucial M4 SSD.

More about : cooling poorly designed netbook

July 13, 2012 2:02:40 AM

You can try undervolting if you find a software program to do so. (I doubt the BIOS will let you) Replace the thermal paste? Use it in a walk in freezer ;) 
a b D Laptop
July 13, 2012 2:38:45 AM

Take the bottom cover off and drill some holes on it, then put it back on.
Related resources
July 13, 2012 6:13:32 AM

fb39ca4 said:
You can try undervolting if you find a software program to do so. (I doubt the BIOS will let you) Replace the thermal paste? Use it in a walk in freezer ;) 
I believe I looked into this before, but it might have been for Linux specifically. I'll do some more research and see if there is at least anything on the Windows end.

Pyree said:
Take the bottom cover off and drill some holes on it, then put it back on.

:lol:  Why didn't I think of this? :o  I'll probably do this as a last resort since I did at one plan on reselling this. But then again, how much could I get out of it?

Loving the answers! :wahoo: 
a b D Laptop
July 13, 2012 9:27:55 AM

The problem is somehow the designer/engineering forgot to put in some intake vent for that nettop. No, I am not joking, I though jerm1027 made a typo, but when I looked at the pictures, there really isn't any intake.
!