Microcell says no!

I just received a press release from Microcell. The board of directors
recommends that shareholders reject the Telus offer.

Stephan Patterson

In article <i98qa0pcj3basd2atl05ui64b96443k408@4ax.com>,
Stephan Patterson <stephan.patterson@videotron.ca> wrote:

> I just received a press release from Microcell. The board of directors
> recommends that shareholders reject the Telus offer.

/me starts breathing again

--
Steven Fisher; sdfisher@spamcop.net
"Morituri Nolumus Mori."

Wow, there's a surprise...

"Steven Fisher" <sdfisher@spamcop.net> wrote in message
> In article <i98qa0pcj3basd2atl05ui64b96443k408@4ax.com>,
> Stephan Patterson <stephan.patterson@videotron.ca> wrote:
>
> > I just received a press release from Microcell. The board of directors
> > recommends that shareholders reject the Telus offer.
>
> /me starts breathing again

You REALLY thought the board would GO for it???

Stephan Patterson wrote:

> I just received a press release from Microcell. The board of directors
> recommends that shareholders reject the Telus offer.

I'd have to look at who the board is made up versus who owns the shares. If
the board represents majority shareholders (eg: the banks), and all board
members voted to reject Telus' offer, then perhaps this has true meaning. But
if the bank board members abstained or voted to accept Telus' offer, then the
banks might still tender in their shares.

The vast majority of shareholders (in numbers) represent squat (less than 1%)
of voting power and total share value. The few investors/banks who rescued
Microcell from bankrupcy are the ones who own the lion's share of equity.

Also, it isn't uncommon for a board to reject an initial offer and then force
Telus to raise its bid and sweeten the deal. It doesn't mean that the board
will always reject Telus' bid.

What scares me is that during the bankrupcy restructuring, the banks did
indicate that their long term goal was to sell their shares in Microcell to
get their cash back. The banks might be very tempted to get out of microcell
at the very first opportunity, as long as the amount of cash they are getting
would represent a return on investment.

In article <s250o1-vtj.ln1@host.domain>,
"repatch" <repatch42@yahoo.com> wrote:

> You REALLY thought the board would GO for it???

This week it is as if someone has set my AttractEvil bit, so it wouldn't
have surprised me at all.

--

Steven Fisher wrote:
> > You REALLY thought the board would GO for it???
>
> This week it is as if someone has set my AttractEvil bit, so it wouldn't
> have surprised me at all.

Reading the articles about this, it was very clear to me that the Mcell board
wanted either a higher bid from Telus and/or another bidder. It seemed quite
clear that it is now inevitable that Mcell will change hands again. (it did
during bankrupcy when creditors became owners).

So the fight should really be to prevent any of the 3 established mobile
carriers in canada to get a hold of microcell in order to preserve the 3
distinct networks in canada (rogers, microcell, and the cdma landline telcos).

Well, I am not sure it is "3" carriers. Mobility is sold by Bell, MTS, Aliant
etc. Not sure how they are structured between each other for the sharing of
the mobility network.

"Stephan Patterson" <stephan.patterson@videotron.ca> wrote in message
> I just received a press release from Microcell. The board of directors
> recommends that shareholders reject the Telus offer.
>
> Stephan Patterson

Yeah, but I heard that Gordon Gecko is now buying up huge amounts of shares
in the company.

A life without humor is not a life at all.