jon_west_uk

Distinguished
Jun 30, 2003
My little brother has managed to encrypt some of my very important files without my knowledge. I unfortunately (without knowing that he had done this) reinstalled my OS system.

I realise that there is probably very little i can do.

I do have a copy of 1 of the files in a decrypted form are there any programs that can determin the encrption key and decrypt my files.

Alternatively are there any programs that will decrypt my files. Some of the files are family photos and i really dont want to lose them.

Can anyone help?

just do it...

confoundicator

Distinguished
Feb 15, 2002
If I were you the first thing I would do is beat up my little brother (just kidding, threats usually work better). :cool:

If you don't know the password then the only thing I can think of is to send the files to the company that wrote the encryption software and ask them really nice if they'll recover it for you.

BTW, we know it's just you and you don't have a little brother. :lol:

<font color=blue>Insanity is doing the same thing over and over again and expecting a different result. -Einstein</font color=blue><P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by confoundicator on 07/09/03 08:51 PM.</EM></FONT></P>

jon_west_uk

Distinguished
Jun 30, 2003
The little dork used the right click button and clicked encypt on windows xp. Cause i dont use the encryption at all i havent even thought of looking up what the key is etc and after reinstalling my OS all the keys have changed.

Problem was that cause the encryption is seemless i didnt know that it was encrypted.

Has anyone got any ideas of what to do? Is there a program that trys all combinations or something that i could run to determin the key is.

Note. The photos (the most important thing) all have their thumbnails saved. So i can see roughly what the picture is in thumbnail view but cant open them cause they are encrypted.

Somebody please help!!

just do it...

jezze

Distinguished
May 5, 2002
I have the same problem. My little brother too (hem, hem) managed to encrypt some very important files. I tried taking ownership of the files and it didn't work. I tried throwing my PC out of the window and it didn't work If anyone has the solution please enlighten us

khha4113

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Without its Private key, you have no way to decrypt them (AFAIK).

:smile: Good or Bad have no meaning at all, depends on what your point of view is.

AMD_Man

Splendid
Jul 3, 2001
Yup, I experienced the same problem myself except I don't have a little brother, I just forgot to backup my private key. :wink: There is absolutely no way to decrypt the files unless you have a few thousand years on your hands.

Intelligence is not merely the wealth of knowledge but the sum of perception, wisdom, and knowledge.