Microsoft: Windows 7 Won't Save PC Recession

Status
Not open for further replies.

CR0W M@GN3T

Distinguished
May 28, 2009
Well with America in recession I doubt anybody is going to strain their budget by upgrading to Windows 7. I am currently using the release candidate and like the improvements on Vista but there isn't anything amazing that would justify an upgrade for me. Of course if Microsoft offers a low price for upgrading to Vista I might consider it. As for Dell and the other suffering tech companies, I don't think people adopting Windows 7 right away is a problem. They should just hope that people are willing to upgrade at all.

grieve

Distinguished
Apr 19, 2004
[citation][nom]jacobdrj[/nom]It won't, but it will go a long way in restoring trust in the industry.[/citation]
What trust was/is lost? If you are refering to Vista... I love it.

[citation][nom]cr0w m@gn3t[/nom]Well with America in recession I doubt anybody is going to strain their budget by upgrading to Windows 7.[/citation]
I live in Canada; some industries here also feel the heat of your recession... USA is only one Country that sales will be considerably lower due to "recession". Windows sells worldwide!

I know i will be buying Win7 March 2010 when my RC begins to expire.

jerther

Distinguished
May 20, 2009
@crow magnet

If I recall, there has been an article about upgrade prices recently. Best buy talked about free, and I've seen 49$ somewhere. I think it's worth it.

NocturnalOne

Distinguished
Mar 26, 2009
The point was that some people expect *PC* sales to rebound after W7 is released. This has little to do with people upgrading their existing systems from Vista to W7. Dell couldn't care less about that. They are hoping that boat loads of 'old' boxes with P4s and XP will finally be replaced with Nehalem i5 and i7 W7 boxes.

MS is smart to downplay expectations.

I just got a nice i7 kit with Vista 64b. Once W7 has proven stable (ie. the fanboy gloss has worn off) and SP1 has been out a while I might update. If Vista turns out to be miserable maybe I'll upgrade earlier. At $80 (i7-920 + Vista gets a $20 discount at newegg) for Vista it's dirt cheap so why worry about an upgrade even half a year from now?

cadder

Distinguished
Nov 17, 2008
Lots of people have bashed Vista, then Apple picked up on it and blew it all out of proportion. Right or wrong, the popular feeling is that Vista is flawed. Microsoft needs to take this seriously and make darned sure that 7 doesn't give the enemy any opportunity to criticize it. I've read on forums where there are lots of problems with 7, problems installing, etc. I don't know how serious this really is but I have yet to be able to download the "free" 7 RC1 from Microsoft's site. They need to fix this and then follow through with it into the release of the software.

kccboy2004

Distinguished
Mar 5, 2008
[citation][nom]maximiza[/nom]Vista forever!!![/citation]

Wow, @cadder. You really don't know what you are talking about. What problems with 7, what download problems ? Name one !!!

thearm

Distinguished
Dec 18, 2008
I just saw a story on Digg on how the recession hasen't effected the PC industry. Not that any stories by reporters are to be taken as true. But I did see it.

falchard

Distinguished
Jun 13, 2008
I think they are judging their economics poorly. Sales are down for Microsoft because no one is going to purchase Windows between now and October. They themselves have decreased their own sales by overhyping and making a good Operating System.

NocturnalOne

Distinguished
Mar 26, 2009
[citation][nom]thearm[/nom]I just saw a story on Digg on how the recession hasen't effected the PC industry. Not that any stories by reporters are to be taken as true. But I did see it.[/citation]

Companies love buying Dell by the truckload. Just because you (nor I) wouldn't buy a Dell for at home doesn't mean they suck. Despite what you may think the majority of PC buyers don't put them together from a few boxes of carefully researched parts. They buy whatever they can afford and looks good at whatever store they shop.

As an aside, I have a nearly 4 year old XPS sitting downstairs (company computer) and it's been super reliable and quiet. If I wasn't such a picky b@st@rd in that I want to put together my own system of my own choosing I would be tempted to get a Dell of my own. I've had quite a few company owned Dells over the years and they've all been fine. Oh, I have another Dell that has sat *outside* under a tarp next to my telescope for over a year. Temperatures ranging from 100+F to 0F. Still keeps on ticking (XP Pro with a P4@2.8G).

Just as long as it's an improvement over current Vista I think it will be fine. Vista wasn't too fun at launch I'll tell ya what. Still, it's more decent now that they've gotten alot of the bugs out. I just hope Win 7 doesn't bring in a whole mess of new ones.

Wayoffbase

Distinguished
Apr 28, 2009
[citation][nom]grieve[/nom]What trust was/is lost? If you are refering to Vista... I love it.[/citation]

For those of us that actually used it, and found it to be a better all around experience than XP, but you have to admit the popular press has been extremely harsh. "Cool people" hate vista :p

cadder

Distinguished
Nov 17, 2008
Wow, @cadder. You really don't know what you are talking about. What problems with 7, what download problems ? Name one !!!

I've been to the MS download site numerous times. Hit the download button, then it wants you to log into microsoft? I don't have an account with microsoft, I guess you guys do? Note that this was not required to download the W7 beta, but is a new requirement for the W7 RC. MS needs lots of customers to buy W7, how many of those potential customers have accounts with MS?

gorehound

Distinguished
Jan 16, 2009
i will upgrade at this point when i have to.all my games and apps are working just fine on xpsp3 so why fix something that is not broke.
eventually there will come a time in the next 3 years where i will upgrade my OS.

chaohsiangchen

Distinguished
Jul 28, 2008
[citation][nom]Wayoffbase[/nom]For those of us that actually used it, and found it to be a better all around experience than XP, but you have to admit the popular press has been extremely harsh. "Cool people" hate vista[/citation]

A lot of people in the press use Macs for editing and production for years. Those people have natural tendency to bash any Windows release and praise OSX, just like their tendency to do the same in other field. Frankly I don't believe anything from the press without fact check myself.

Maxor127

Distinguished
Jul 16, 2007
Eh, when Vista came out everyone said it was amazing and I installed it for DX10. It was ok, but there were a lot of missteps. I still don't think it's as bad as 90% of people make it out to be. Games need a lot more memory, though, which makes me think Vista's supposed superior memory management is a bunch of BS. I don't really regret using it except for rare times when I play a game with EAX that isn't supported by ALchemy.

I have a feeling Windows 7 will be more of the same. Everyone saying how awesome it is, and then the inevitable backlash. It happened with XP too and all other previous releases. I'll be skipping Win7 unless I build a new computer or can find it for really cheap somewhere.

kingnoobe

Distinguished
Aug 20, 2008
They were also saying how crappy vista was in beta.. And that microsoft just didn't listen to them..

Vista isn't bad now, but that doesn't matter.. First impressions tend to stick. Win 7 run just fine on both my computers.. While I'm sure my main one now would've have to much of a differnce, my old tells the tale easily enough between vista and 7. *Or the last time I used vista I should say*.

G

People can however decide to keep their pc's for 7 years! I've done that with my Athlon XP series PC,which was superior at that time and ran fine all the way to where I needed a laptop.

Companies could run their pc's for years, and even then ask IT personnel to backup harddrives, and upgrade the pc's lightly.

jacobdrj

Distinguished
Jan 20, 2005
[citation][nom]grieve[/nom]What trust was/is lost? If you are refering to Vista... I love it.I live in Canada; some industries here also feel the heat of your recession... USA is only one Country that sales will be considerably lower due to "recession". Windows sells worldwide! I know i will be buying Win7 March 2010 when my RC begins to expire.[/citation]
I agree that Vista, as of right now, is a very solid operating system on new computers. However, Vista was such a let-down, and there was so much buggy stuff after almost 7 years of no new OSs from M$, that Vista was obviously a bad experience that had lasting impressions on the market.

G

Vista is fine. People get too hyped up in mac overzealousness anti windows campains and soon you have your grandmother who doesnt even know what a PC is saying that vista sucks. I started using it from the day it came out and it had its ups and downs, 7 is a pleasure to use, i have had about 1 problem in over a month with the RC or w/e it's been. Microsoft's biggest problem is that it's trying to convince morons that it's product isn't shit when people are perfectly content to get their information from other morons. W7 might not save fallings sales, but I think it will restore confidence in Pc buyers and we might finally get rid of XP.

anamaniac

Distinguished
Jan 7, 2009
Windows 7 + i5/i7s in every home.
That's a dream to aspire to.

I have found Win7 near flawless.
Most of the issues were with build 7000, and a few with 7100. So far, build 7203 (I believe that's the #), I'm issue free.

Plus, I have no problem with all my drivers, except my webcam, which the company stopped support before Vista entered.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS