industry forum posters?

cefoskey

Distinguished
Jan 20, 2003
Are any forum members who have recently been posting directly associated with any graphics vendors? I just ask because it seems like some posts and posters (like zeekfu) seem like shameless plugs for a very paticular vendor (like HIS)

"Who is General Failure, and why is he reading my drive?"
P4 3.0 HT, Intel D865GBF, 512MB Crucial PC3200 DDR, WD 36GB Raptor 10,000RPM, BBA Radeon 9600PRO, SB Audigy, Hauppage WinTV

cefoskey

Distinguished
Jan 20, 2003
i just think if they are posting, it should be known so that newbies dont get the wrong impression. for example, a few threads down a stranger was asking for advice on a new card, and zeekfu had this canned response ive seen in about 3 threads about the HIS Radeons. Not that those HIS cards are bad by any means, but dont you think if you were a n00b that youd want to know that you were talking to someone from a vendor instead of a fellow consumer?

"Who is General Failure, and why is he reading my drive?"
P4 3.0 HT, Intel D865GBF, 512MB Crucial PC3200 DDR, WD 36GB Raptor 10,000RPM, BBA Radeon 9600PRO, SB Audigy, Hauppage WinTV

jclw

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Unfortunately that's the way it goes. There's a lot of "fanboyism" on this board and as always it's the new members that get screwed.

Industry representitives are active on some boards - for example ATi driver people post on several graphics oriented boards (Rage3D, DriverHeaven, Beyond3D), and there is an OCZ guy over at Overclockers.

I must say, I've never seen an industry representitive push a product on a public board. They've only ever offered tech support and listened to feedback (and critisism).

I highly doubt you'd get any industry reps on this board 'tho due to the maturity level of some members...

*Dual PIII-800 @900 i440BX and Tualeron 1.2 @1.7 i815*

phial

Splendid
Oct 29, 2002
i dont really think its that bad, compared to other sites

-------
<A HREF="http://www.albinoblacksheep.com/flash/you.html" target="_new">please dont click here! </A>
<A HREF="http://www.subhi.com/keyboard.jpg" target="_new">This is you, interweb junky</A>

jclw

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
I guess it depends what you compare it to.

Obviously sites such as Rage3D and nVnews target a specific audience but most of the other sites I visit (2cpu.com, Beyond3D.com, and overclockers.com for example) tend to be for the most part neutral. I think a lot of it is that the more technical sites tend to attract older (and more mature) people.

At least a quarter of the posts on this board seem to be misspelt one liners containing nothing but personal insults with no attempt what-so-ever at grammar. I'm not saying that everyone should consult a dictionary when they post, but an attempt would be nice.

I've been here for around 4 years now, and IMHO the board is just slipping downhill. I rarely get involved in discussions anymore (except if I feel a new member is being misled) but instead tend to reply to posts in the "lost" forums, such as the digicam or CD/DVD writer forums.

*Dual PIII-800 @900 i440BX and Tualeron 1.2 @1.7 i815*

Obtuse

Distinguished
May 21, 2004
It's amazing this thread hasn't turned into a flame war like 90% of the graphics cards threads do now.

"Yeah, I got a magazine for you. It's fulla hollow points. You're gonna love it when I put that in a gun, and then put 'em in your brain!" - Carl