Sign in with
Your question

Do higher dedicated video memory in graphic chips of a laptop heat more?

Last response: in Laptop Tech Support
July 13, 2012 7:24:42 AM

Hello,
I am in a dilemma whether higher dedicated video memory of the graphic chips like Nvidia or ATI Radeon cause the laptop to heat more? I'm planning on buying a Sony Vaio laptop and I'm down to two choices which differ in their graphic card memory, one has a 1GB ATI Radeon and the other has a 2GB ATI Radeon. I'm worried whether the 2GB graphic card will heat up more and cause damage to my motherboard. (I lost my previous HP laptop in the same way)
July 13, 2012 7:35:51 AM

Plz guys I really need your help on this one. I just don't want to lose another laptop because of over heating!!!
m
l
a b D Laptop
July 13, 2012 7:36:58 AM

heat creation is dependant on build quality and specific gpus design. more vram=/= higher temperatures.
m
l
July 13, 2012 7:39:39 AM

Dheepak said:
Hello,
I am in a dilemma whether higher dedicated video memory of the graphic chips like Nvidia or ATI Radeon cause the laptop to heat more? I'm planning on buying a Sony Vaio laptop and I'm down to two choices which differ in their graphic card memory, one has a 1GB ATI Radeon and the other has a 2GB ATI Radeon. I'm worried whether the 2GB graphic card will heat up more and cause damage to my motherboard. (I lost my previous HP laptop in the same way). Both are DDR3 AMD Radeon HD 7650M.

m
l
!