Watch/record TV through laptop without internet, using fixed aerial
I'd like to watch and record freeview TV via my laptop without connecting to the internet and have been advised that I will probably need an external digital TV tuner as my laptop is a couple of years old.
I have access to a freeview-enabled aerial in my room but would prefer to use my existing laptop screen to avoid buying a TV which would just clutter the place up.
I am struggling to find something that meets my requirements (possibly because everything seems to be written in such technical language that I don;t fullt understand) which are:
- allows me to view TV on my laptop via a fixed aerial (rather than satellite dish)
- will allow me to set up recording of programmes in advance
- does not require my laptop to be on / connected to record programmes
- will record programmes on the device itself rather than storing them on my PC
- will let me watch / record a programme when there is already a programme being recorded.
Basically I want a standard digital TV recorder whcih I can view through a laptop. Does such a device exist? And what would you recommend?
More aboutwatch record laptop internet fixed aerial
You might be able to use something like Tivo. Go here and look at the antenna option:
Thanks but I am in the UK and I think TIVO is just in the US.
We have similar recorders over here, but they are set up for TVs - I believe you need a different set-up for a computer.
Tivo supports PC access, so I am sure you can find an equivalent UK system. You are describing a DVR. It will have to be connected to your network and then you'll access the DVR via the network to manage/watch shows.