Renaming word file.

fisher

Since fixing a problem with my desktop and installing XPSP2, whenever i try
to rename a word document the warning -
"If you change a file name extension, the file may become unusable. Are
you sure you want to change it?," comes up.
If i change the name the file changes from the W loggo to a square with a
row of 3 coloured dots. Usually i can open the file however eventually I
have to open it manually by selecting word from a program box to open it.
Don't know that SP2 is responsible for the drama. Would appreciate any
advice offered,
With thanks,
mr fisher

Mr Fisher

If you use Windows Explorer to find files for renaming, the file name is
shown in full..

<name> . <extension> where the name distinguishes the file from others, and
the extension is how a program/application recognises a 'friendly' file.. it
is called file association..

So, if you delete the entire name + extension, the file loses its
association with whatever program created it..

If Windows Explorer is your preferred way, when you right click to rename a
file, the file name will highlight blue.. click once on the name to remove
the highlight, and then position your cursor before the first letter of the
name and carefully remove the name up to the . (period, stop) leaving the .
<extension> in tact.. from the cursor position, just type in the new name..

If you use MY COMPUTER to access the files on your hard drive, when you
click on a name to change it, only the name appears, and if you give it a
new name, the file extension remains as it was.. this is a safer way to
rename files..

--
Mike Hall
MVP - Windows Shell/user

http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

"fisher" <fisher@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Since fixing a problem with my desktop and installing XPSP2, whenever i
> try
> to rename a word document the warning -
> "If you change a file name extension, the file may become unusable. Are
> you sure you want to change it?," comes up.
> If i change the name the file changes from the W loggo to a square with a
> row of 3 coloured dots. Usually i can open the file however eventually I
> have to open it manually by selecting word from a program box to open it.
> Don't know that SP2 is responsible for the drama. Would appreciate any
> advice offered,
> With thanks,
> mr fisher

fisher

Hullo and thank you Mike. Complied with your Windows Explorer advice and
works like a charm - Many Thanks.

Accessing My Documents from My Computer did not work and I still have the
warning message displaying. Any further advice would be appreciated. As you
said it is the safer way and I would like to be safe. Thank You Again Alan Z.
--
mr fisher

"Mike Hall (MS-MVP)" wrote:

> Mr Fisher
>
> If you use Windows Explorer to find files for renaming, the file name is
> shown in full..
>
> <name> . <extension> where the name distinguishes the file from others, and
> the extension is how a program/application recognises a 'friendly' file.. it
> is called file association..
>
> So, if you delete the entire name + extension, the file loses its
> association with whatever program created it..
>
> If Windows Explorer is your preferred way, when you right click to rename a
> file, the file name will highlight blue.. click once on the name to remove
> the highlight, and then position your cursor before the first letter of the
> name and carefully remove the name up to the . (period, stop) leaving the .
> <extension> in tact.. from the cursor position, just type in the new name..
>
> If you use MY COMPUTER to access the files on your hard drive, when you
> click on a name to change it, only the name appears, and if you give it a
> new name, the file extension remains as it was.. this is a safer way to
> rename files..
>
> --
> Mike Hall
> MVP - Windows Shell/user
>
> http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm
>

> "fisher" <fisher@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > Since fixing a problem with my desktop and installing XPSP2, whenever i
> > try
> > to rename a word document the warning -
> > "If you change a file name extension, the file may become unusable. Are
> > you sure you want to change it?," comes up.
> > If i change the name the file changes from the W loggo to a square with a
> > row of 3 coloured dots. Usually i can open the file however eventually I
> > have to open it manually by selecting word from a program box to open it.
> > Don't know that SP2 is responsible for the drama. Would appreciate any
> > advice offered,
> > With thanks,
> > mr fisher

What warning might that be?.. I seem to remember something about "are you
sure that you want to display 'yadda yadda yadda'".. that being the case,
answer 'yes' or 'ok'..

--

> Hullo and thank you Mike. Complied with your Windows Explorer advice and
> works like a charm - Many Thanks.
>
> Accessing My Documents from My Computer did not work and I still have the
> warning message displaying. Any further advice would be appreciated. As
> you
> said it is the safer way and I would like to be safe. Thank You Again
> Alan Z.
> --
> mr fisher
>

> "Mike Hall (MS-MVP)" wrote:
>
>> Mr Fisher
>>
>> If you use Windows Explorer to find files for renaming, the file name is
>> shown in full..
>>
>> <name> . <extension> where the name distinguishes the file from others,
>> and
>> the extension is how a program/application recognises a 'friendly' file..
>> it
>> is called file association..
>>
>> So, if you delete the entire name + extension, the file loses its
>> association with whatever program created it..
>>
>> If Windows Explorer is your preferred way, when you right click to rename
>> file, the file name will highlight blue.. click once on the name to
>> remove
>> the highlight, and then position your cursor before the first letter of
>> the
>> name and carefully remove the name up to the . (period, stop) leaving the
>> .
>> <extension> in tact.. from the cursor position, just type in the new
>> name..
>>
>> If you use MY COMPUTER to access the files on your hard drive, when you
>> click on a name to change it, only the name appears, and if you give it a
>> new name, the file extension remains as it was.. this is a safer way to
>> rename files..
>>
>> --
>> Mike Hall
>> MVP - Windows Shell/user
>>
>> http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm
>>

>> "fisher" <fisher@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> > Since fixing a problem with my desktop and installing XPSP2, whenever
>> > try
>> > to rename a word document the warning -
>> > "If you change a file name extension, the file may become unusable.
>> > Are
>> > you sure you want to change it?," comes up.
>> > If i change the name the file changes from the W loggo to a square with
>> > row of 3 coloured dots. Usually i can open the file however eventually
>> > have to open it manually by selecting word from a program box to open
>> > it.
>> > Don't know that SP2 is responsible for the drama. Would appreciate any
>> > advice offered,
>> > With thanks,
>> > mr fisher

fisher

This message comes up - "If you change a file name extension, the file may
become unusable.
Are you sure you want to change it?," comes up.

With thanks A.Z.
--
mr fisher

"Mike Hall (MS-MVP)" wrote:

> What warning might that be?.. I seem to remember something about "are you
> sure that you want to display 'yadda yadda yadda'".. that being the case,
> answer 'yes' or 'ok'..
>

> --
> Mike Hall
> MVP - Windows Shell/user
>
> http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm
>

> "fisher" <fisher@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > Hullo and thank you Mike. Complied with your Windows Explorer advice and
> > works like a charm - Many Thanks.
> >
> > Accessing My Documents from My Computer did not work and I still have the
> > warning message displaying. Any further advice would be appreciated. As
> > you
> > said it is the safer way and I would like to be safe. Thank You Again
> > Alan Z.
> > --
> > mr fisher
> >

> > "Mike Hall (MS-MVP)" wrote:
> >
> >> Mr Fisher
> >>
> >> If you use Windows Explorer to find files for renaming, the file name is
> >> shown in full..
> >>
> >> <name> . <extension> where the name distinguishes the file from others,
> >> and
> >> the extension is how a program/application recognises a 'friendly' file..
> >> it
> >> is called file association..
> >>
> >> So, if you delete the entire name + extension, the file loses its
> >> association with whatever program created it..
> >>
> >> If Windows Explorer is your preferred way, when you right click to rename
> >> file, the file name will highlight blue.. click once on the name to
> >> remove
> >> the highlight, and then position your cursor before the first letter of
> >> the
> >> name and carefully remove the name up to the . (period, stop) leaving the
> >> .
> >> <extension> in tact.. from the cursor position, just type in the new
> >> name..
> >>
> >> If you use MY COMPUTER to access the files on your hard drive, when you
> >> click on a name to change it, only the name appears, and if you give it a
> >> new name, the file extension remains as it was.. this is a safer way to
> >> rename files..
> >>
> >> --
> >> Mike Hall
> >> MVP - Windows Shell/user
> >>
> >> http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm
> >>

> >> "fisher" <fisher@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

OK .. cancel the action and close out.. go to Control Panel - Folder
Options.. click on the VIEW tab.. check the 'hide extensions for known file
types'..

--

> This message comes up - "If you change a file name extension, the file may
> become unusable.
> Are you sure you want to change it?," comes up.
>
> With thanks A.Z.
> --
> mr fisher
>

> "Mike Hall (MS-MVP)" wrote:
>
>> What warning might that be?.. I seem to remember something about "are you
>> sure that you want to display 'yadda yadda yadda'".. that being the case,
>> answer 'yes' or 'ok'..
>>

>> --
>> Mike Hall
>> MVP - Windows Shell/user
>>
>> http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm
>>

>> "fisher" <fisher@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> > Hullo and thank you Mike. Complied with your Windows Explorer advice
>> > and
>> > works like a charm - Many Thanks.
>> >
>> > Accessing My Documents from My Computer did not work and I still have
>> > the
>> > warning message displaying. Any further advice would be appreciated.
>> > As
>> > you
>> > said it is the safer way and I would like to be safe. Thank You Again
>> > Alan Z.
>> > --
>> > mr fisher

fisher

Mike,
Thank you very much. Problem fixed. I appreciate your assistance
greatly. Wish I could do more to show my appreciation.

Many many Thanks,
A.Z.
--
mr fisher