Windows XP fails to login

April 30, 2005 11:41:13 AM

Hi, I have a standalone system running Windows XP. It was working fine
then suddenly I can no longer login. It will login to safe mode but not
normal mode. No error is displayed it just sits there after displaying
the message 'Loading personal settings' it shows the backdrop and then
nothing. I have left it on all night and still no luck. I am sure any
timeout would have completed in this time.

Any help would be brilliant.

Steve Marriott.

More about : windows fails login

April 30, 2005 2:34:02 PM

One of your startup programs is causing it to hang. You can use Safe Mode
and Restore under Accessories>System Tools>System Restore to a couple
of days before the problem started. If that doesn't solve the problem, repost
to this post.
--
I'm no expert, but I did stay at
the Holiday Inn Express last night.

"Steve@smarriott.demon.co.uk" wrote:

> Hi, I have a standalone system running Windows XP. It was working fine
> then suddenly I can no longer login. It will login to safe mode but not
> normal mode. No error is displayed it just sits there after displaying
> the message 'Loading personal settings' it shows the backdrop and then
> nothing. I have left it on all night and still no luck. I am sure any
> timeout would have completed in this time.
>
> Any help would be brilliant.
>

> Steve Marriott.

April 30, 2005 3:31:17 PM

I have done a restore and unfortunately that did not solve the problem.
I have also changed all the exe files in the
HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Windows\Run to be .exe.old so nothing would
run.

I changed the User logon settings so that the welcome screen does not
show but I still can't get it to login.

There is a fault report on the Microsoft site which is very similar but
it relates to a networked machine with a networked share on a server
that is down.
Article: 816873.

I have tried the Alt+Tab and return as suggested in case my problem is
because some error box is hanging the system and needs to be responded
to. However, this did not work either.

I have set the UserEnvDebugLevel to 10002 and it seems to stop at
logonui.exe

Steve Marriott.
!