Windows XP fails to login

Hi, I have a standalone system running Windows XP. It was working fine
then suddenly I can no longer login. It will login to safe mode but not
normal mode. No error is displayed it just sits there after displaying
the message 'Loading personal settings' it shows the backdrop and then
nothing. I have left it on all night and still no luck. I am sure any
timeout would have completed in this time.

Any help would be brilliant.

Steve Marriott.
2 answers Last reply
More about windows fails login

    One of your startup programs is causing it to hang. You can use Safe Mode
    and Restore under Accessories>System Tools>System Restore to a couple
    of days before the problem started. If that doesn't solve the problem, repost
    to this post.
    --
    I'm no expert, but I did stay at
    the Holiday Inn Express last night.

    "Steve@smarriott.demon.co.uk" wrote:

    > Hi, I have a standalone system running Windows XP. It was working fine
    > then suddenly I can no longer login. It will login to safe mode but not
    > normal mode. No error is displayed it just sits there after displaying
    > the message 'Loading personal settings' it shows the backdrop and then
    > nothing. I have left it on all night and still no luck. I am sure any
    > timeout would have completed in this time.
    >
    > Any help would be brilliant.
    >

    > Steve Marriott.

    I have done a restore and unfortunately that did not solve the problem.
    I have also changed all the exe files in the
    HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Windows\Run to be .exe.old so nothing would
    run.

    I changed the User logon settings so that the welcome screen does not
    show but I still can't get it to login.

    There is a fault report on the Microsoft site which is very similar but
    it relates to a networked machine with a networked share on a server
    that is down.
    Article: 816873.

    I have tried the Alt+Tab and return as suggested in case my problem is
    because some error box is hanging the system and needs to be responded
    to. However, this did not work either.

    I have set the UserEnvDebugLevel to 10002 and it seems to stop at
    logonui.exe

    Steve Marriott.

Login Microsoft Windows XP