Atari/Namco Assault Video Problems (Arcade)

The game works, but the monitor is jazzed up. To be specific:
You can hear the game play.
You can see video on the monitor in game mode or test mode but:
the video is scrunched verticaly and then rotated at nearly 70deg. so
that you see multiple stripes of compressed video from top to bottom
seperated by black sync bars.

The machine was dropped hard when it was shipped, this is how I
received it. I tried adjusting the vertical hold and centering to no
avail. I reseated what plugs I found. Some plugs in the back have no
home though. (left hand side. 2 molex connectors.)

When Played, you can see the video react to shots, but it is hoplessly
compressed.

Any ideas?

Update:

The video problem works itself out if you leave it on for 10-15min!?!
Im not sure what that represents. Caps normally dont work better hot
so...
So that game works for now, Good sticks, I need to find new art, or
better yet a shell of a cab in good shape. BONUS: I found the
original game manual and monitor manual/schematics under the coin
tray!! I guess it pays to vacuume out new aquisitions!

since game was jarred hard check all connectors on game board as well.
Sounds like you have developed some possible cracked solder joints on the
monitor board. De-energize check for any part of the board that might have
a hairline crack or bigger and check all solder connections, especially on
the input for ground and sync, hit those anyway. Good luck.

Trin
"Cartoondog" <cartoondog@lpmachine.com> wrote in message
> The game works, but the monitor is jazzed up. To be specific:
> You can hear the game play.
> You can see video on the monitor in game mode or test mode but:
> the video is scrunched verticaly and then rotated at nearly 70deg. so
> that you see multiple stripes of compressed video from top to bottom
> seperated by black sync bars.
>
> The machine was dropped hard when it was shipped, this is how I
> received it. I tried adjusting the vertical hold and centering to no
> avail. I reseated what plugs I found. Some plugs in the back have no
> home though. (left hand side. 2 molex connectors.)
>
> When Played, you can see the video react to shots, but it is hoplessly
> compressed.
>
> Any ideas?

umm... now it really sounds like a cold solder joint...

I suspect it's getting hot, expanding and making better contact.

time to reflow... start at the connectors and hit the really "big"
components (they're the one's that would take the most stress from dropping
and have the greatest probablility of developing solder defects).

steve

> Update:
>
> The video problem works itself out if you leave it on for 10-15min!?!
> Im not sure what that represents. Caps normally dont work better hot
> so...
> So that game works for now, Good sticks, I need to find new art, or
> better yet a shell of a cab in good shape. BONUS: I found the
> original game manual and monitor manual/schematics under the coin
> tray!! I guess it pays to vacuume out new aquisitions!

And speaking of Assault, Anyone know the value/replacement for the
Horizontal Width Coil in the Sharp XM-2001N monitor Atari used?

tm